1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Poloshirtbandit

But those guys can play almost any position if needed.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

High school draftee's routinely take 4-5 years. College players often take 3-4 years. I'd say at least give him this year before you get on him and giving him a 5th year wouldn't be unreasonable.

Another thing to contend with is that the Astros management is traditionally very conservative about player promotion. Remember how long it took for Jason Lane and Chris Burke to make the big club? That's way more on Ed Wade and Tal Smith than Heck.

I completely disagree that the farm system doesn't look appreciably better now than 3 years ago. Heck's first job was to replenish the system with players who at least will be useful/solid players. He's done that. Castro will be a solid starter for a long time. Maybe not an all-star, but solid. Lyles is a 20yo in AAA and projects at worst as a middle of the rotation starter. Several others project to solid major leaguers.

Admittedly there are few potential stars in that bunch, but that is Heck's second major job: seeking out high ceiling players. He's working on that too. He spent a record some-odd $2.6mil on Ariel Ovando. He drafted Mike Foltynewicz, who has the raw stuff to be a #1 starter.

In sum, Heck has a solid plan and executed it to the best of his ability. He just needs time to be proven right or wrong.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Jason Lane and Chris Burke were "up on the big club" when Tim was the GM..before Wade ever was even hired. Jason Lane squeezed the final out to clinch the pennant...Burke of course hit the game-winning HR vs the Braves that year.

Neither were worth much to begin with, frankly. They were drafted when Hunsicker was still here.

4. msn

msn Member

re: Bobby Heck: while of course we'll have to judge his performance here based on his performance here, it should be noted that he built a great system in Milwaukee. Heck's hire by McLane was heralded well by the national media.

5. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

What exactly was his role in building Milwaukee's farm system? He was a regional cross-checker? Which picks was he responsible for? And if it's too early to hold him accountable for Houston's system, does he then take blame for Milwaukee's system which according to BA has taken over the Astros as the worst in baseball? BA grades Milwaukee's 06 and 07 drafts (the last two Heck was a part of) as a C and a C+ respectively.

#1165 DoitDickau, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering everybody they've traded away since he left, as well as the players who graduated to the majors, I find it difficult to see how you can logically in any way put that on him.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

They just interviewed Lance on the broadcast. Ha, still looks/feel weird with him in a different uni, especially a Cardinals one. Still hope he retires here:p

8. DoitDickau

Ok so which of the players traded away or graduated from the brewers 06 or 07 draft classes have become (or are expected to become) average mlb players?

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering he was there for a whole lot longer than that, and the process of growing a farm system takes a whole lot longer than two drafts, I'm not sure why it is relevant.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

8 games that wont be shown:

4/7 at CIN
    5/28 vs. ARZ
    6/5 at SD
    7/31 at MIL
    8/8 at ARZ
    9/6 at PIT
    9/11 at WSH
    9/18 at CHC

11. DoitDickau

Ok maybe that's fair although I'm still not sure what credit he should get for Milwaukee. but my larger question is how long until current management can be held accountable for the state of the organization? This is year 4 of the wade regime. The major league team likely will be very bad. The minor league system is still one of the worst in baseball. I know Timmy was horrible and I know hunsicker screwed up his last 5 drafts but at some point that has to stop being an excuse. It's now year 4. In 5 years? 10years?

#1171 DoitDickau, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Trading them 3-4 years earlier would have netted them the kind of talent those other teams have received in trade.

13. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

This stinks.....I can begrudgingly accept not having 1-3 games a year on TV, but 8?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

What's 8 out of 162? :p As cardpire said, nobody needs to be planted in front of the tv for all 162 games.

But overall, I agree, it stinks. :)

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

At least wait until one class gets through an entire development cycle. You look at almost any club and very few will have players drafted from three years ago on the big league club. Look at the 2010 Rays; widely considered a great farm system. Tons of young talent, but most of it was from the 04-06 drafts.

Young 2010 season Rays
    Pitchers
    Wade Davis ('04 draft)
    Matt Garza ('05)
    Jeremy Hellickson ('05)
    Jake McGee ('05)
    Jeff Niemann ('04)
    David Price ('07)
    James Shields ('01)
    Andy Sonnanstine ('04)

Fielders
    Reid Brignac ('04)
    Evan Longoria ('06)
    Desmond Jennings ('06)
    BJ Upton ('02)

They had exactly as many players on the big league club (1) who made it to the majors in less than 3 years as the Astros did last year. David Price for them and Jason Castro for the Stros. David Price was the consensus #1 overall pick in '07.

Now I'm not going off the deep end comparing the quality of our drafts to theirs because the Rays drafted incredibly well back then (and continue to) but my point is 3, even 4 years is usually not enough time to evaluate a draft class.

Our better picks from the '08 draft are just getting to AA/AAA and few if any of the high picks have proven to be outright busts thus far. (Thank god there weren't any Max Sapps). I don't think Heck has performed any Jesus-like miracles with our system but it is currently light years ahead of the pile of crap he inherited. It's unfortunate for him that Pup's terrible drafting has made his first few years look bad on the surface too.

If the current crop of prospects in AA/AAA don't pan out then I'd take a more serious look at Heck, Wade AND Tal Smith.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ken Rosenthal [rquoter]The Astros are at their payroll limit, but would like to add a left-handed hitting outfielder to platoon with Jason Michaels if they go with Carlos Lee over Brett Wallace at first base, which is hardly a sure thing. Wallace is hitting .362/.388/.617 this spring.

The team's greater need is a replacement for catcher Jason Castro, who is out for the season due to a torn ACL in his right knee. The Astros like the Royals' Brayan Pena, but the Royals won't trade him with Jason Kendall still recovering from shoulder surgery.[/rquoter]

Chron [rquoter]Race for No. 5 near end

Every candidate being considered this spring for the rotation’s No. 5 spot is scheduled to pitch today as the race nears its conclusion.

Nelson Figueroa, who has been on what most resembles a starter’s track all spring, will start the road half of the split-squad afternoon against Atlanta and will be looked to for five innings, just as the established starters have been getting this week.

Ryan Rowland-Smith will pitch 3 to 4 innings against Pittsburgh and be followed by Jordan Lyles, whom the Astros hope to get up to three innings. Lance Pendleton and Aneury Rodriguez will follow Figueroa.

Manager Brad Mills has said that today will be key in his decision making and that those not selected will begin to prepare for their roles either as starters in the minor leagues or relievers.[/rquoter]

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not a real surprise but looks like Figgy is going to get the 5th spot

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Was really hoping Rowland-Smith would pull it off given his age and previous success in Seattle, but doesn't look like he will.

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yeah he has had a solid spring to go along with a strong last 2 months last season so he deserves it. Ryan Rowland-Smith has another terrible outing so I doubt he makes to the team. Fernando Abad should be the only lefty in the pen because Wesley Wright and Sergio Escalona have had awful springs. Lance Pendleton should be sent back to the Yankees soon. Enerio Del Rosario and Henry Villar have had great springs and should make the team over someone like Jeff Fulchino. Aneury Rodriguez has had a solid spring and if he doesn't make the team, he has to be offered back to Tampa. He is still young at 23 years old and had a great winter league season so It think they have to find a spot for him.

Here would be my 11 pitchers:
    1. Bretty Myers
    2. Wandy Rodriguez
    3. J.A. Happ
    4. Bud Norris
    5. Nelson Figueroa
    6. Mark Melancon
    7. Fernando Abad
    8. Aneury Rodriguez
    9. Henry Villar
    10. Wilton Lopez
    11. Brandon Lyon

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Year 4 has yet to be drafted. Year 3 is too early too tell. Year 2 had a lot of high schoolers and is still too early to tell. Year 1 was Castro and Lyles. Castro, Lyles, and everyone still in the minors looks appreciable better than Johnson and Norris.