1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Darwin was very good at fighting and did it often at bars all across Texas and when the Astros were on the road. Nolan Ryan saw it first hand and wanted no part of it. Nolan could be a very intimidating man but Darwin saw fighting as a hobby.

I don't remember all the stories but he kicked the **** out of anyone that really crossed him.

Hershiser was on the same team as Darwin when he got punched in the face for something that happened years before. He got into it with Barry Bonds and Denny Walling said no one crossed him, especially after a few beers.

2. itzIce

itzIce Member

I know it had been mentioned in this thread but how about LMC as our setup man or closer? Less IP = longer season?

3. Larry D Smith

Larry D Smith Member

Nice strawman. I'll tell you what I think, so I don't need you speaking for me. What I think is that what the mother concludes to be in her and her child's best interest is none of my business and none of yours . Your extrapolation therefrom that I favor the beating of the "mother of our off spring (sic)" is nothing but attempting to make a point through nonsensical exaggeration. And thinking "you're morally superior" and reality many times do not intersect.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I really think Rangers will go after Rendon with Donaldson as their backup plan. Maybe 1 or 2 tier2 SP (along with Minor and Lynn) to open the new stadium with a bang. Rangers and Angels will be much improved next year. A’s should be tough as well. AL West will definitely be tougher next year but still our division to lose.

6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

wow. I did not know this level of detail. This is concerning. Any one of us that is married know that there are times your wife makes you very upset / angry. But at no instant have I ever remotely considered striking her. Reading this makes me want to trade this guy as he feels like an albatross hanging around the Astros neck bringing us bad karma or something. If those photos / reports were to ever leak the sh*t storm that would fall on him and the Astros would be stiff.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Oh the irony isn’t lost. You came in throwing strawmen.

This isn’t hard. Beating the mother the mother of your child is wrong and it really isn’t debatable. The mother can be fine with being beaten, and it still doesn’t make it right. People that are victims of abuse often times seek approval from their abuser.

Last, yeah.... not beating your kids mother is morally superior to beating your kids mother. It may come as a shock to you but in 2019 most people look down upon men that beat women and the idea that it is between the man and the woman is the biggest load of 1950’s bullshit I have seen pushed in a really long time.

mightybosstone likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Can we get Lance/Jose added to the runoff for co-mayors?

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

What exactly do you want Crane to do? Is he going to say the team has to be sold when he cant run it anymore or passes? It seems that if he wants it to pass to his son, that will and should happen. I like that he is thinking ahead and his son is going to have years of "training" before he actually takes over the whole thing himself. To me, it gives him (and the Astros) the best chance to succeed long term.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

I think the one thing that unites everyone in this thread this is the offseason fkin sucks. I miss the daily grind of the season and knowing theres a game on every night.

5 more months till opening day.

11. Major

Major Member

So basically, in your mind, as long as domestic abusers have the money to pay off their victims, we shouldn't judge them. Brilliant.

King1 and Nook like this.
  12. Larry D Smith

Larry D Smith Member

Is that what I said? NO! Yet, you like the other poster insist upon ascribing to me words never uttered nor implied. I said it's none of your business what the victim does or does not do. Now try to find some meaning beyond the precise and clear language written.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Just give it up and stop making excuses.

No one said anything negative about the victim.

It’s about what Osuna did to a woman, which is beat her so bad that photographs were taken, described as substantial and she was taken to the ER.

The idea that it is an issue that should be handled between the victim and the assaulter is a cop out based on the facts known about domestic violence victims.

This is all well known and your stance on this really makes me question whether you really believe domestic violence is as big a deal as it is.

Screaming Fist and King1 like this.
  14. raining threes

Would you trade for him?

Is he an upgrade over Chirinos?

What do you think it would take to get him.

Nook likes this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

Watching the 2017 Astros documentary always cheers you up until you realize the 2019 will be of us losing. How epic would have that documentary would have been. The greatest comeback since the 1998 Yankees.

Jesus I cant phantom watching that smuck Soto celebrate on our field. I hope Cole signs with the Phillies and beans him for us on opening day.

Smacktle, lw17 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Guys, there has to be a half dozen other Osuna threads where those issues can be discussed.

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I get that he wants his heir to get OJT. I don't see why he starts with Ryan's job. To me, especially since AIUI, no one's come forward to take credit for that abortion of an initial denial of Taubman's antics, Ryan's demotion has something to do with that mess. I don't believe Crane's denial at all.

I do think though that spinning this as a Crane nepotism antic, rather than insensitive idiocy on Ryan's part, allows Ryan to seek other employment in MLB. Which might not have happened if he had the rep of being insensitive to domestic/family violence.

Spinning the situation away from that interpretation is a nice thing to do for Ryan, assuming he had to be let go in the first place.. Similar to not extending a QO to Morton last year when they knew they weren't going to give him a multiyear deal.

18. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Does anyone here think we could trade Correa? I definitely think luhnow will listen to offers and see what the market is....I’m all aboard if it makes the team better past 2021 and helps extend the window long term. Realistically Correa is out of here as soon as he hits FA and I would keep an eye on the Mets as a potential trade partner with Beltran as their new manager

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

So apparantly league sources expect Houston to entertain the idea of trading either Correa or Springer this Winter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...before-trying-to-defend-their-al-pennant/amp/

20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I don’t know how this team would look without springer... I dont know how our clubhouse would be without springer. I feel like springer wants to be here more than Correa does. I feel like springer is more signable than Correa. Springer is in the last year of his deal, Correa is younger. Call the yanks and ask for Torres (I know they will say no) but andujar and one of their top pitching prospects would be really intriguing. You could move Breggy to SS permanently, just some hypotheticals

Smacktle, jklb and punkoholic like this.