1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. I think the money goes to Springer and either Brantley or a cheap OF starter. I don't think there will be much left after Springer signs, and that 1B will not be a priority unless Diaz regresses and Toro is a bust.

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I remember Lourdes Gurriel being on the trade block last year. Not sure if he still is or what the cost would be but any interest in trading for him? And hope Yuli would stick around in Houston for a cheaper price to play with his brother? Now if Yuli doesn't really care if he plays with his brother and says he'll test the market or won't take a discount then don't bother trading for Lourdes unless you have actual interest in Lourdes as a player and not as a ploy to keep Yuli at a cheap price. I also don't know if Lourdes played well as an outfielder.

Gurriel-hopefully Springer-Tucker as the outfielders

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Blue Jays want pitching. Not sure what it would take in our system to get that done but it would sting. He's under team control through the 2024 season. Not going to be cheap. I would rather spend our prospects on pitching if we aren't keeping them.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Tucker pans out and they resign Springer, the LF will be either the 7 or 8 hole hitter. A LF who hits well enough to be one of the best 8 hole hitters in the league would cost <$10M on a 1 year deal. They don’t really need somebody of even Brantley’s caliber there. It’s a total shame there wasn’t a minor league season, it was entirely plausible that somebody like McCormick, Dawson, or Matijevic could have emerged to be worth taking a look at as the everyday LF next season.

Somebody like Jay Bruce, Yoenis Cespedes, Daniel Murphy, or Marwin Gonzalez would all probably be cheaper than Brantley and plenty good. Other options: Cron, Frazier, Kendrick, Moreland, Lowrie, Lamb, Pederson, Pence, Enrique Hernandez, Souza, Choo

#2484 Snake Diggit, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

Seems like a matter of time before we trade with our BFFs, the Toronto Blue Jays.

raining threes likes this.
  6. msn

msn Member

The Tigers miss Purpura.

awc713 likes this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

In this lineup a guy who can get on base like Straw would be fine at the bottom of the order

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Every organization misses us having Purpura

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Marwin? He has been a mediocre hitter his entire career with the exception of (surprise) 2017.

Mr.Pringles and The Beard like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's had 6 straight seasons of being an average hitter (some seasons slightly below, some slightly above) with the exception being 2017 in which he was significantly better. So yes, getting an average hitter to bat in a below average slot in the batting order would be a plus.

#2490 Joe Joe, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Mediocre is fine in the 8 hole, especially if the player has a ton of positional versatility (and the upside of how good he was in 2017) to add to his value. Marwin wouldn’t be #1 on my list, but if he’s willing to come back to Houston on a $12M/2yr deal to finish his career, I’d be on board with that.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

remember when 45 yr old John Franco was the closest thing too a splash move following getting swept in 05.

msn and raining threes like this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He’ll always be a Houston legend with that HR in Game 2 that swung the momentum in the Astros favor

14. awc713

awc713 Member

I could be wrong...but I believe Purpura (or poo-poo-ra, ha! Got’em) was the one who reeled in marquee moves of Woody Williams, Jason Jennings (Colorado SP?), and the pitiful Aubrey Huff/Zobrist trade

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

(but they did sign Altuve on his watch...cough)

16. The Beard

Was Springer his or Wade?

17. The Beard

Love Marwin, but he isn’t good enough for Crane to endure BS for bringing him back. And as crazy as that might sound to some, the media would find a way to rip us for bringing him back. By all accounts no one benefitted more from the can that Marwin

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wade... and Drayton, since he still dictated how much to spend for first round picks and they had to get somebody singable (i.e. - a college senior).

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He was better on the road that year.

20. The Beard

Yea, but he still had an .881 OPS, hit 15 HR and led the team with 47 RBI at home. I love the guy, and i'm as pissed as anyone at what they did (and are doing) to our organization for doing something that many (if not most) teams were doing

But there is no doubt Marwin benefited greatly from the sign stealing in 17. He was a legit star that year, and the rest of his career says he is a solid mlb player