1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Actually, Valbuena had a nice week hitting .444 and getting a lot of walks, i would not sit him and he plays good defense.

I like White, A LOT, but i think right now i would use Marwin instead because he is hitting.

Give White a couple of days and play with your hot hand.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Ok, we are struggling, why not play with our lineup a little???

What about this??? Valbuena is getting walks???? Lefty hitter, easier for Altuve to run??? What about this???

1. Altuve
    2. Valbuena
    3. Correa
    4. Rasmus
    5. Springer
    6. Gonzalez
    7. Gomez
    8. Tucker
    9. Kratz

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

The hitting is so bad lately that I was only considering defense. In his last 1 game, Marwin has 3 excellent plays (for those that like sample sizes).

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

At least use true stats

Since that first week he is 8-27, which is .296 NOT .350

He also has zero walks in that period, which means his on base % is also .296 which isn't good

He has 0 BB and 6 K's in this period

AND, if he did start today and went 0-4, that would drop his average since that first week to .258, at which point you would be saying "why is Hinch playing Marwin, he isn't hitting over the last 14 days and stupid Hinch still plays him"

But rant however you want, just use true stats when you post stats, shouldn't be too much to ask should it?

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Marwin can play all positions in the infield, and is quality.

Actually, that is one of the many errors our manager makes. The few times we are leading late in games he does not sub Marwin to play 1b over White for defensive purpose. If you want to develop White to be a good 1b, great, play him, if you want to win, then sub for better defense late in game when leading.

Now, are we playing this year to win or to develop our young talent. I am ok with either way.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Here is the deal, we can all "play manager" and give out "what we would do" for the lineup...here you go, i'll play along, here is what I would do (pretty sure you won't like it haha)

1. Gomez
    2. Springer
    3. Altuve
    4. Rasmus
    5. Correa
    6. White
    7. Gattis
    8. Valbuena
    9. Gonzalez

** obviously that has Gattis catching, if he simply CAN'T which is very possible, then Castro goes into the 9 hole for Marwin, or Hinch plays himself heck he couldn't be any worse. I'd put Gomez 1st to try to get his mindset different, baseball guys are so set into thinking certain things about a position that maybe Gomez would slow the swing down thinking leadoff needs to make contact. I think Correa is pressing a little, and not that dropping him would necessarily help, i'd make that change and see.

But honestly, you can line them up however you want, if only 3-4 of them have decent games, and if they just run themselves into outs once they get on, it doesn't really matter. And the biggest thing is....how you line them up ain't gonna help that 27th best ERA we are dragging around right now

And one more thing, I don't mind talking baseball with you, but you said you had me on ignore because I was mean? If you had me on ignore how do you quote me?

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Defense is an excellent reason to play Marwin, and perhaps sit White (Alternatively Gattis could also sit), but Marwin just won't start as often against RHP.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I agree with you 100 percent, BUT right now, the way White and others are hitting, i think Marwin is the alternative for a couple of games, and vs a left handed pitcher like yesterday, he should hit 5th until White, Gattis, Gomez start hitting again.

Marwin is a bench guy, but is a very good player for 350-400 at bats, when hot, use him especially when others are not.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're the queen of small sample size effects and "what have you done for me lately."/hindsight is best managing.

Provided nobody else takes you that seriously (and nobody else responds to your hot mess of nonsense... other than the Beard, of course), post away.

At some point, you'll totally contradict/confuse yourself that you may just actually get it.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Lets see, small samples.

Well, Marwin hit .279 last year with an OPS of .759.

As a left handed hitter his average was .268 last year.

A full year is small samples???????

Are you saying Marwin is not a good player?

Yesterday i said Marwin should hit 5th vs the lefty and the guy had 2 hits including a homer, what a pity they don't take me "seriously" because i am more times right than wrong.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Ahhh, and another small sample, who has better numbers in the last 14 days, White or Castro??? Yes, I am talking about Jason Castro. Look at the numbers and tell me.

The only thing i am saying is, play Marwin tonight over White, for THIS game.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

I am really disappointed in the optioning of Marisnick. Seems to me we are headed in the wrong direction, hopefully I am pleasantly surprised. Jake in CF to me changed the dynanic of the team, added enthusiasm that the other guys fed off of on the field and the bases.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I suppose he's the D-mo of the Astros.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

leadoff walk, time to panic, fister.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fister with the good fastball...87mph (I'm serious)

16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally ! A quick 1st inning for the Stros !!!!!

17. Remix

Remix Member

Alright pitching didn't get rocked in the 1st inning. Progress :cool:

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

White is due.

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gattis is starting to get it back !!!!!

20. mick fry

mick fry Member