1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 21, 2014.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's as if he knows exactly when he's about to lose his spot.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Really, pinch running Gonzalez for Dominguez in the 9th and then bunting? Dominguez is one of the best defensive third basemen in the league and Gonzalez is no speedy runner.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Womp Womp Womp

5. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Tough one to lose. Seager with his first 2 homers against us.

7. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Always winter... Never Christmas..

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Even with a better bullpen, it doesn't matter.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he was doing a true "closer by committee", he should have either left Qualls in, or brought in Albers or Bass (who both haven't had a save opportunity in some time).

Instead you have Fields pitching his third straight game... and I guess Porter was trying to "end" the committee by trying to give Fields the job outright.

Tough luck. Should have been able to put up more runs, or knock out their starter earlier. Let him get away with 5 walks, and still put up a quality start.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Porter making no excuses for Fields. Said Albers not being available was indeed too bad but said this type of loss is most difficult type</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/459101116530040833">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>FWIW, I asked a front-office member and an Astros coach today if the bullpen by committee were going to continue for now. Both said yes</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/459091793405935616">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Albers only reliever not available today for Astros</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/459036899651227648">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Porter said Matt Albers wasn't available because of shoulder soreness</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/459101290170052608">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Biggest problem isn't Porters use of the bullpen, it's the fact that there isn't an everyday reliable guy to use at the backend of it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was never an everyday reliable guy... hence the "bullpen by committee".

However, when you use the same guy for the 9th three days in a row, that's not much of a committee.

That being said, didn't realize Albers was out... sounds like Porter would have used him if he was available. Bass may be the next guy up now.

Also, Porter has made the wrong call out of the bullpen numerous times this year... even if he has somebody "dependable", I seriously doubt his ability to recognize him or use him in the appropriate situation.

With this team, and the randomness of the bullpen, I actually long for the days of the 1 "M". He certainly made some questionable moves, but I had faith that he knew his bullpen's capabilities better than anybody.

13. The Beard

Well, I don't think "committee" means you "have" to use someone different each time. Committee, in my opinion, means you don't necessarily have that one guy to do the job so you will play it by situation. So if you feel like the best choice one day is the same guy who got the last save chance, I wouldn't think you would just use someone else because it is a committee.

As far as him making the "wrong call out of the bullpen numerous times", that may be your opinion but nothing to back it up. There is no guarantee, nor is it even likely, that him choosing one of the other options in the games you are thinking about would have led to a different results. One game he might use Fields and everyone complains he should have used Qualls. Then he uses Qualls and everyone complains he should have used Albers. And so on, and so on . . .you say you seriously doubt his ability to recognize or use a guy in an appropriate situation, but I just don't see how you can assume what he would do if he had a good bullpen, when he never has.

And i'm not saying the guy would do a great job as a manager given the talent needed to succeed, but to assume he would make all the wrong decisions just because of the team he is currently managing, I just don't get that

Just my opinion

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty diplomatic way of not saying much. If you're using the same guy over and over again, regardless of how the player is feeling or whether or not other players are qualified/rested/ready, its not a committee.

In this case, Fields had already pitched the last two days...very effectively, mind you... and he was being brought in again for the 3rd straight game, this time on less than 24 hours rest. The end result was not that surprising.

Even if Fields was the "anointed" closer (which on this team, he basically is), I'd have thought twice about his availability regardless... but having a bullpen by "committee" should help them avoid over-working players, or simply bringing in somebody because it was a "save" opportunity.

Are you kidding me? Every single one of his "questionable" moves this year, I've questioned BEFORE the predictable result. He brings in Chapman of all people against the Rangers = blown save. Brings in Qualls to get a save after he had been out for 8 days with a stomach ailment = blown save. Takes out a cruising/non-taxed McHugh last night simply to make a move (classic case of over-managing).... and his replacement promptly gives up 2 runs.

Again, with a team that doesn't have all that many save or win opportunities, you can't afford to have questionable managerial decisions again and again.

Yes, its my "opinion" that Bo Porter has not done a good job of managing the bullpen this year... and its based on specific/recurrent events. If you add in the base-running blunders, the mental mistakes of throwing to the wrong base, players missing signs, etc... there is more than ample evidence to say he has some work to do to get better as a manager.

I just wish he'd stop calling out selected players (vs. others) in the media.... or I'd rather him just not call out anybody.

15. The Beard

People who know me would die laughing at someone calling me diplomatic

And no, I'm not "kidding you"

You should be the manager I suppose since you have such a better feel for the game than Bo. I mean anyone who knows anything about the game should be able to turn this pen into a lock down unit

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thanks.

I'd just like him to make more educated/informed decisions... rather than what seem like gut/instinct decisions. And he should be prepared to defend/explain his decisions when called out about them (just like he calls out his players... Matt Dominguez may really think he is invisible!)

He sees these guys, and knows their abilities, far more than any of us do. And yet they continue to fail when given the opportunity. It definitely is in part players failing to do their job, but the manager also has to put guys in the best possible position to succeed.

Having guys pitch in pressure situations coming off injury, having guys pitch 3 consecutive days, and having guys come in "unexpectedly" when the starter is cruising is not, IMO putting players in a best position to succeed.

Also, lastly, fans should be able to question a manager's decision (especially when they predictably back-fire)... it doesn't mean any of us claim we'd do better at the job.

17. The Beard

Hey I fully agree we are able to question a managers decision, if not we wouldn't need boards like this

I just see it differently than you I guess. I think it is a talent level issue, and you seem to think it is a managerial issue.

I don't think it's about the manager putting guys in a "position to succeed" I think it is a manager who has been given a roster that can't succeed at this level.

I also see no issue at all with his comments on Dominguez, if you think that is a problem i would assume you did not see the play? There isn't an excuse for Dominguez baserunning decision there, unless as Bo says, he thought he was invisible, lol

As for having the ability to predict a managers decisions to fail, I would say it's pretty easy to predict failure for Bo right now. It's predictable that his decisions will fail, because no matter what decision he makes, there is a great chance of failure with this roster . . .just my opinion, would be better if you are right and I am wrong, cause it would be much easier to find a "better" manager than to fix our mlb talent issues

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

The fact is these guys are major leaguers, they may not be the most talented but there is no excuse for the lack of execution and total mental breakdowns. This falls on the manager not preparing his guys in the offseason. A good manager can take a AAA team and battle day in and day out, they may not win alot of games but they battle. How long does Porter get a pass?