1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 21, 2014.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sickening.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

fire the **** out of porter

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

In before the "Official Fire Porter Thread"

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Porter.... So many wrong... Questionable moves....

Dude is terrible

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

That was McHale-esque.

6. HookemHorns1250

Don't forget they use the piggy back system in AAA. McHugh hasn't gone this far in quite a while. I was actually surprised he was brought out in the 7th.

I don't blame Porter for the change...it's time to start putting some blame on our lefties that can't do their job and get left handed/switch hitters out. There has to be some lefty out there that can at least get one out.

7. crose

Supporting Member

Usually, when a guy is dealing, that should make your job easier as a manager for a night.

What was an awesome story will more than likely end up as a footnote in another embarrassing moment in recent history for this franchise.

Pathetic.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

Who the hell cares? He K'd 12 in 89 pitches. Let the guy at least get into a little trouble.

He's a spot-starter pitching over his head. What's the risk - he throws his arm out??

9. crose

Supporting Member

Not to mention he had just finished striking out one of the toughest left handed hitters in the game.

Let the ****ing guy keep dealing!

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I would blame Porter less had he pulled him after 6. Once he had such an easy start to the 7th, why not give him one more hitter?

11. HookemHorns1250

Settle down son.

I was stating why Porter did it. I didn't want him pulled either, but I could see why Porter pulled him.

As for him being a spot starter, you never know. What if he goes out in his second start and has another solid outing? Then you raise question marks as for whether Peacock keeps his spot, or McHugh earns a chance to pitch until reality settles in.

Again I hate that he was taken out, but he was already on a pitch count, and went OVER that pitch count.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

McHugh threw 6 pitches to record 2 outs in the 7th.

I don't buy "he was taken out because he went over a pitch count" one bit. 4 pitches over. He had a relatively painless time getting 2 outs in the 7th, so I wasn't expecting him to unravel all of a sudden.

13. HookemHorns1250

That Mariner fan will not shut up. I wish Carter would hit a grand slam and ask him "What?" Since he's just saying "Carter! Carter!

14. HookemHorns1250

I don't agree with taking him out, as I said before I'm just stating reasons there could be for pulling him.

1) Taking him out before he could give up that big hit, let his confidence ride.

2) He did go over the strict pitch count they had for him because of the piggy back style in AAA.

3) At one point we'll have to find a lefty who can actually get lefties out.

Again, I don't agree with taking him out..these are just reasons I guess that were going in Porters head.

15. Uprising

Damn... I was going for a few more runs there.

Based loaded 1 out results in one run.

16. bobrek

One more than usual. :)

17. bobrek

I understand what you are saying, however, on 04/09 McHugh threw 73 pitches. You would think he could be stretched out to 95 by now. Again, I would have understood Porter taking him out after 6, but once he let him start the 7th, why pull him after 6 additional pitches.

1 person likes this.
  18. Uprising

Lol true.

Just glad to see the bats are alive again.

19. HookemHorns1250

I completely agree with your point. I was shocked to see him trot out for the 7th, but odd to see him taken out with 2 outs and the bases empty.

I swear, I make a statement as to why I feel Porter pulled him and people automatically think I'm saying it was a great idea. (Not directed to you at all.)

But I agree completely, you have to let him finish the inning, or not let him go out there at all and shut him down after 6 when he met his pitch count.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Maybe I wasn't loud enough, but the Mariners fan weren't happy with me. I was vocal enough as an Astros fan, and man did they make it easy today

When they were moving our section out of the rain, the fans told me Astros fans had to stay in it.. ha

Great time. McHugh was dealing! And cano's awful effort in the 7th was super fun to yell at him about. Great plays by Presley--hope he gets web gems for that pair in 1 inning!