1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

14K's

And that offense in the 6th? inning. Good stuff....zzzzzzz

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

who woulda thunk it

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to Porter, Carter will be back in the lineup tonight.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

:mad:

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really starting to get excited about Keuchel, he seems to have gained a little velocity on his fastball and he just really knows how to pitch. His peripherals last year were much better than his results, and they are even better this year, except he is actually getting results now.

Cosart gets the hype, but him and Obie look like much better starting pitchers at the moment. We'll see if they can keep this up.

Offensively the Astros are due for some games like this, but I sure as hell didn't expect it with Hernandez on the bump though.

6. Xercules

Xercules Member

Pleasant surprise to see that type of offense against Felix. Hopefully we can take that momentum into tonight's game!

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't notice a change in velocity. He sits around 88-90 with his FB for the most part (looking it up, it is a negligible difference from last year, but a reasonable improvement on his rookie year). Control is improved, and he's really started to use the changeup as an out pitch.

So far, he looks to have taken that Wandy-esque leap I was hoping for in Spring Training.

It would be wonderful if anyone on offense could come close to matching what our pitchers are doing.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They showed a graphic last night indicating an uptick in his velocity. I think it was essentially 87-88-89 (might have been some decimals in there).

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

.2 really isn't much, just seems like he's hitting 90 more. I guess I'm still stuck on his minor league/rookie numbers where he would routinely throw some pitches in the mid 80's.

Looking at the numbers, his increased changeup velocity may be making it harder for hitters to identify.

11. red

red Contributing Member

great game last night. safeco field was eeeeempty. saw a few astros fans around the ballpark so that was nice.

12. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I agree with everyone here that's growing tired of Altuve's mental mistakes. I know we signed Altuve to a (very reasonable) extension and all, but check out Ronald Torreyes at AAA if you want to see what a replacement from within our system would look like.

Torreyes, you might remember, is a player we picked up from the Cubs in return for some of our international allocation money. He's another small-in-stature 2B, hits well, gets on base, and allegedly has good enough range that he can even fill in at SS on the fly. Kid doesn't show much in the way of power, but neither does Altuve.

People were pretty surprised when Torreyes looked so good in the ZiPS projections at the beginning of the season, but he's putting up good numbers at AAA now and I wouldn't mind seeing him get a spot start here and there, especially if we decide Marwin Gonzalez doesn't have a place on the team anymore.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-zips-projections-houston-astros/

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kut Karter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT “<a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Mathews">@Nick_Mathews</a>: NL pitchers are hitting better than Astros' Chris Carter this season:
    NL pitchers: .129 (72-557)
    Carter: .123 (7-57)”</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/458745306687877121">April 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#73 J.R., Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

But but he used to hit homeruns!!!

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

McHugh looks like the second coming of Kirk Saarloos.... Great "change up", yet below-average fastball according to the scouting report.

Fastball doesn't look that bad so far... if he can locate it well, certainly will be better than Harrell.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's gotta be amped up. Sitting at 93, and he hit 96 on a pitch, well above the scouting report. Dude just struck out the side.

18. pat1994

pat1994 Member

wait who is this guy?
    whoever he is, he just struck out the side. good start!

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That was long overdue.

20. pat1994

pat1994 Member

CARTER. IT'S ABOUT TIME.