1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Diamondbacks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 4, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cole so cold-blooded since joining Houston (Cole-blooded)

First career Shutout -- 16 Ks and one walk.

Man, oh man
    *milo voice*

Offense did work too. Great day for Houston Sports

#81 Houstunna, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    leroy and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Landing on the DL (for an extended time) this year may cost him 10's of millions in his next contract.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It may... unless he bounces back and throws just as well.

Again, I see him still getting a good enough deal like Arrieta eventually got.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Keuchel is a lot better than a mediocre lefty. Martes is looking more and more like a reliever if he can learn to pitch from the stretch.

I highly doubt Astros keep Keuchel unless market next year doesn't rebound. It isn't so much whether Keuchel will be better than someone like Martes, it will likely come down to whether he's better than McHugh, Whitley, and Peacock plus whatever 15-20 million dollar bat (or ace reliever) they can get instead.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm projecting what he will be in the years to come. Mediocre doesn't mean bad. It means better than about half the pitchers in the league (which was your definition of where he is, not mine). Martes has more value as a trade piece now if he's not going to be more than just a reliever.

They'll still be in a win-now position, with no real internal options ready to step in and pitch a possible 200 innings (none of those guys you mentioned are candidates for 2019 to do that). I feel the market for a guy like Keuchel is pretty much fixed, regardless of what salaries do next year. Still will be many teams that aren't going to try and win now, and the rich win-now candidates (Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees) know his limitations. I could easily see him settling for a 1-3 year deal to stay here, and the Astros considering that as they still need proven guys who can take the ball every 4th day regardless.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We’ll see if this works...still a lot of games left, but the player costing himself a lot of money is Marwin. An .850+ OPS, 5 position player is invaluable.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

I want to punch myself in the face for falling asleep right before the last 3 strike outs.
    Who was that catcher that said strikeouts are fascists? Cole is just an alternate annihilator.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

McHugh is perfectly capable of pitching enough innings well enough considering Astros have 15-20 million dollars left to spend on a reliever or a bat next year. I have a lot more faith in McHugh than I do in Astros finding 4-6 MLB ready bats in the minors for next year. Astros are not going to spend 15-20 million dollars on Keuchel once he is no longer a viable playoff starter. They are going to want that 15-20 million to play in the playoffs.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You would think that if you consider somebody to be better than mediocre, they’d also be a viable playoff starter. You’re contradicting yourself in each response.

McHugh has regressed enough every year that I’m not expecting him to be more than what he is now. I’d take a healthy Keuchel over him in a heartbeat, and I bet the Astros would as well.

I’d venture they’d see what they have in Tucker and Alvarez before splurging on Marwin replacements.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crash Davis

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dallas Keuchel has started 7 games and the Astros are 2-5 in those games. In the wins they scored 3 runs and 10 runs, in the 5 losses they scored 4 runs combined (one run in 4 and shutout in the other). DK has pitched well enough to win in most of his outings, he just hasn't gotten any run support.

People have really skewed expectations right now because of how stupid good our pitching has been. His ERA is 3.98 and his xFIP is 3.78, by years end Keuchel could very easily have a really good season.

One thing that may be interesting in our search for pitching in the future. If I were a guy looking for a make good season to try and get paid, there's no organization that would seem to be better suited to let me be the best version of myself.

12. conquistador#11

You take out Dallas' performance where he had a no hitter going up until the ump squeezed him out of 2 certain outs, which snowballed out of control against the A's and his era would be 3.2499 with plenty of season to get it under .

So he hasn't been anywhere near bad, an 3.20-3.24 era would have had him as the 10th best pitcher in the entire mlb in 2017. And before that As performance he was getting the soft contact on hitters, it's just that they landed in the wrong spots.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Ken Giles level passion ;)

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Greinke was only walked 4 batters in 36 innings, but he's allowing a .254 BA. We should look to be aggressive as he'll likely be around the plate all night. Anticipate a ton of sliders too.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I guess Morton hates strikes now.

16. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

3 straight walks geez

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chuck having some major control issues so far.

18. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

We need a real LFer

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

A good throw would've gotten the runner, but.... at least the others didn't advance.

GIDP sounds excellent right now. Morton still has chance for a great game.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When you walk 4 hitters in an inning and only give up one run that is a huge win.

Hustle Town likes this.