1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Brewers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 30, 2008.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2808369&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

it's like they see all the signs, but just can't bring themselves to do much about it.

and a 40-year old who can't hit or throw is ALOT different than a rookie who isn't hitting. bring up quintero and give him a shot, acquire somebody, whatever. benji molina should be available at the deadline...he's only getting paid 6mil.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Quintero is hitting .229 at AAA with 2 HRs.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

what does that mean? if it means he'll hit .229 with 2 HRs every month in the majors, i guess we should bring him up.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

If the Giants look to trade Molina, what would we offer them?

They would probably want young prospects or a good young player like Pence.

We certainly wouldn't want to trade Pence or any of the few prospects we have left like Paulino.

I don't see how we are going to be able to do anything significant at the trade deadline this season.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not if you think you can compete for a pennant THIS YEAR it's not.

honestly, at this point whether ausmus or towles is in there is largely irrelevant. towles has gotten a huge pass so far because the team has hit so well. now that they're struggling, the focus beams in on the bottom of the lineup where the hitting is worst.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

if we're planning on doing anything significant at the deadline, and i'm confident that we will, i fully expect paulino to be one of the pieces, and i'm all for it.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It means he's struggling. Towles is hitting .149 but has 4 HR. In other words, both suck so far this season. Of the 2, Towles has the better glove and more upside. So I'd be happy to bench him for a good hitting catcher, but you're mistaken if you think bringing up a Mendoza-line hitting AAA catcher with little pop is going to improve the offense.

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Loretta with the solo jack. Braun took a beating on his back going into the wall :eek:

9. BrooksBall

Followed by a beating from a Chacon pitch.

10. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

That's some bull**** right there. We really don't need that right now

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know I've said this before, but that seriously was one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my entire life. Embarrassing that baseball puts up with this -- should be an immediate suspension of significant length, if you really wanted to clean it up. Talk about letting the home crowd make the call for you.

12. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

It's more embarassing listening to these Brewers announcers justifying it. They're saying that it was so close you couldn't criticize an umpire either way. Also they're criticizing Berkman for not throwing to home plate. One of them even tried to claim that after watching 2 replays they still couldn't tell even though he was clearly out by half a step

13. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Chacon hasn't actually been hit properly in this inning yet he's given up 2 runs and the bases are full. Just completely bizarre

14. The Cat

LOL. Yeah, it wasn't even debatable -- I saw it pretty clearly live even before replay confirmed it. You can't blame Berkman -- it's not his responsibility to act as if umpires are incompetent. He and Tejada made the play, and he assumed that was the inning. If he needs to start double checking everything based on the incompetency of umpires, that's a problem.

I also love the "it was close" excuse. Honestly, it wasn't even that close. But in the major leagues, you need to make those calls. No excuses. If the umpire doesn't have the ability to do it, get rid of him.

15. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Baseball sucks. Instant reply needs to be installed ASAP. This should be 1-0 and inning over, instead we're down 4-1. Massive difference. Cheating officials.

16. The Cat

Astros 1, Brewers 0, Umpires 4... and counting

Sucks the umpires will go to these lengths to hear appreciation from the home crowd. Spineless, gutless cowards.

17. BrooksBall

Crap like that makes you want to turn off the game after the 1st inning.

18. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

The way things have been going you have to suspect that's the ball game right there. On a blown call by an umpire in the first inning. What a load of cack

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

is Chacon hurt?

20. BrooksBall

2 pitchers and 65 pitches through 2 innings for our Astros.

I know Chacon got screwed with that blown call by the 1st base umpire but he has to be able to collect himself and minimize damage.

If he is hurt, that is a different story.