1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Brewers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 30, 2008.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

And this is why you need a good rotation to complement a solid lineup. Their average (at best) starting rotation is getting exposed right now because the bats have slid into a cold spell, which is inevitable in a long season.

2. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Looks like I missed nothing. I can see Sheets pitching shutout ball tonight. Could be another long night

3. WWR

WWR Member

You know what's funny?

I work in the town near where Backe lives, and I saw his girlfriend tearing the roads up in his white Chevy yesterday...while he's on the road in Mil....then I go eat and see him pitching on the plasma....and I know his woman is hot rodding around in his truck........just sort of funny. I wonder if she cheats on him? :eek:

4. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I wonder if you're an idiot....naw...I know it!!
    Hot rodding around town doesn't insinuate cheating you moron!

5. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

I feel much more confident these days knowing Moehler is starting than I do with Backe or that I ever did with Sampson. He's been class since he became a starter.

6. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

What's Matsui playing at there? Trying to steal 3rd with Berkman up and 1 out. Berkman then gets a base hit, so Kaz just cost us a run ffs

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The best hitter in baseball at the plate and Matsui tried to steal 3rd.

Whoever made that call is an idiot.

8. BrooksBall

I wouldn't necessarily blame Matsui. It may have been somebody else who made the call.

Either way, it was stupid.

9. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Evening BrooksBall

10. BrooksBall

Evening.

I am looking forward to hearing about that attempted steal in tomorrow's paper.

I wonder if Cooper made that call.

11. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

I know it's good to be aggressive and think outside the box etc. but surely that's just common sense risk/reward.

With Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee to bat, I really don't see what you're gaining with that steal attempt. Certainly there's a lot more risk than reward. As seen by what eventually happened. Kaz would have got home from second on that hit by Berkman same as he would have got home frome third.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think that if Matsui had stayed on second the exact same things would have happened? Sheets changed his delivery from the stretch to the windup. They probably called a different pitch, etc. You cannot assume that Berkman would have singled had Kaz not attempted the steal.

13. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

So you think it's a good call bob?

14. BrooksBall

You are correct.

However, what you can assume is that very few teams would send a guy on 2nd in that situtation.

The benefit of that steal would have been that we could have scored on a fly out. If you have bad hitters due up, you may take that risk.

When you have two of baseball's leading RBI guys due up, you don't even think about it.

15. bobrek

I have no problem with them trying to stay aggressive on the bases early in a game, especially when they have been in an offensive funk the past few games. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If it was a close game in the 7th+ inning, I think it would have been a bad play In the 4th inning, I have no problems with it.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Kendall looks like Johnny Bench out there tonight. I think the Wiggington play was a missed hit and run, but still.

17. bobrek

I find it hard to believe they would call a hit and run with an 0-2 count. Coopers reaction seemed to indicate that someone screwed up.

18. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Wake up Carlos ffs, how did he get a double out of that?

19. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Carlos couldn't even be bothered to run for that ball and make a throw to home plate. Why do we even bother having a left fielder at all?

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

ballgame. mclane needs to sack it up and cut ausmus following this series.