1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 31, 2019.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dude...get over yourself. I couldn’t give a **** about a AAA shortstop. I didn’t care if they brought up Mayfield up, it was about bringing Alvarez up. I understand why they brought Mayfield up...but doesn’t change the fact the reason they haven’t brought Alvarez up to replace White. Mayfield will go back down when they have another healthy IF.

It is Amazing that you attack the Texans for not using CAP space, but not the Astros for basically doing the same thing when they actually Need to use it (because of inj....yes, the Astros are acting like there is a cap in baseball when it comes to Super 2). I know...Apple and Oranges. However, point is that it is about money.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Maybe the injuries actually delay Alvarez's call up even beyond super 2. The only guys on the current roster with regular experience at 1B are White and Gurriel. With Diaz and Correa hurt, Gurriel has to move around the infield and White will get most of the starts at 1B. Alvarez has played 9 games at 1B this year and has 2 errors. Maybe they aren't comfortable with him at 1B.

3. Buck Turgidson

You're crawfishing back like a mother****er.

And to your second point...of course it's about money. When has anyone said otherwise?

And to your third point...I rag on the Texans because they are a terribly run franchise.

Wulaw Horn and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Now we’re talking baseball!

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros can send down Fisher, except Fisher is batting leadoff. This is a big vote of confidence in Fish and indicates Astros want to see what he can do. Or it is one of Hinch's mind games.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It’s about money with Alvarez and Tucker, not control. The extra year was gained a while back

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Alvarez definitely. Tucker maybe about extra year of control or just money depending if Astros want to see him before the trade deadline.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tuckers is not going anywhere. Reddick is going to be a FA after next year, as is Springer. Alvarez can play 1st base.
    As your current 1st base is an upcoming free agent.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dude...u are hanging your argument on a 28 year old AAA SS. It was never about him. He is hitting.143 or something. He is a body for defense, for now (unless he he hits). It is about Alvarez not being called up. We know the reason Mayfield was called up. It DOESN’T matter.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. Tucker is a more well-rounded player and projections had him being a worse hitter than Gurriel, Reddick last year. I still expect Tucker to be a good MLB player though it may take him time to adjust. Alvarez is projected to be the 6th best bat (i.e., he's a lot better hitter). I think defense may keep him at DH a good portion of the time, but expect he'll hit. Maybe take some time to get his power into games, but line drive approach with better contact skills should help him transition faster.

11. AB423

AB423 Member

Great win!! Glad I’m stayed up for that. That right there is how you play championship ball, clutch hitting and great D.

everyday eddie and whiskeyred like this.
  12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I continue to be impressed with Brantley. As one poster put it, he is a "professional hitter." When he comes up, I think there is a good chance that he is going to deliver, and he usually does.

whiskeyred and H-Town Info like this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

The “estimated” Super 2 Deadline is approaching. I guess you don’t really know until the season is over right? It’s based off 22% of rookies?

My guess is around 6/10/19. But I bet we play it safe with Alvarez and bring him up late June.

Thoughts ???

14. AstrosRockets1818

From last October for the 2018 season....

This year’s cutoff for players to achieve Super Two status, and thus be eligible for arbitration a year early, has been set at two years and 134 days of Major League service time (written as 2.134), tweets ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick.

In order to reach Super Two status, a player must be in the top 22 percent of players with between two and three seasons of MLB service (in terms of total service time) and must have spent 86 days of the preceding season on a Major League roster or disabled list. That designation allows those players to reach arbitration eligibility a year early and go through arbitration four times as opposed to the standard three.

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This.... will never win anything

raining threes and whiskeyred like this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

Agreed. A trash organization.

raining threes likes this.
  17. raining threes

I know rare talent when I see it.

Alvarez is a rare talent.

18. raining threes

Alvarez is a better hitter than Tucker is.

He has a much better approach at the plate.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes. However, they both should be up over Fisher, White, and Straw.

20. SemisolidSnake

I love your icon, btw. Speaking of brutal, it's certainly brutal being a Berserk fan waiting for new chapters, isn't it?