1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm concerned about the trends. The A's have been playing well for a while now, and we haven't played well in a few months. We absolutely have the talent to get some positive regression on offense and shouldn't see much regression with our pitching. But our OPS is down almost across the board. And if you want to talk about intangibles, it doesn't seem like anyone fears our lineup like they did last year.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

We do not have the same offense. Literally every player except Bregman has had a 100+ point drop in OPS. We have too many people talking about this team like it’s March and ignoring the actual games that have been played.

Tomstro and roxallways like this.
  3. theimpossibles1

I'll say again, we went 11-17 last august. We have had lots of injuries to star players recently. It takes a while to get back in a groove when that happens.

We have a 5 game, two 6 game, and a 12 game win streak this season.

Relax.

4. jtexan

jtexan Member

Will Correa strikeout looking or swinging?

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Kuechel looks like he's finally settling in. Coming off a a good string of starts. Great to see. Time for the bats to wake up!

6. Malaya

Malaya Member

Offense has disappeared. For a while, Bregman and Gattis were carrying the offense but that has dried up since the All-Star break.

Just have to face it some fan favorites will be gone next year like Gattis, Gonzales, maybe Gurriel. Keuchel too. Line-up churn.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

If this offense was anywhere near last year this team would have about the same record if not better than the Red Sox have currently. It has taken fantastic pitching most of the year to keep this team in serious contention.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Serious question: why don’t the Stros just sit on that curve ball Cahill throws 80 % of the time?

Houstunna likes this.
  9. theimpossibles1

Yes, we are experiencing some letdown. Natural after winning it all. And yet we still lead the division.

I for one see us rounding into shape very nicely as we recover from these injuries and as the pressure ratchets up down the stretch.

If yall want to live in doom and gloom, by all means that's your right. I see the names on the roster, the standings, and the circumstances, and therefore I am extremely confident.

Houstunna and Major like this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Blum and Kalas are such a joy to listen to.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The way most of them are looking at it, I’m not sure these guys knew Cahill even had a curveball until about an hour ago.

Rox Addict likes this.
  12. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

How do we beat Seattle with this level of poor plate discipline, crucial fielding mistakes and collapses by the bullpen?

This Astros team has been below average against good teams all season long and Seattle is a good team playing really well.

The Astros are choking hard. Very hard.

13. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Correa is way off. If he was right, some of those pitches he would be killing.

14. BleedsRocketRed

I am relaxed. I just know what I am watching.

We dont have a 15 game lead in the division. There is a very high risk of us looking outside of the playoffs. We have no buffer room to "just turn it on"

If it comes too little too late, we're screwed. Thats the reality of the situation.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  15. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

This is ridiculously easy for Cahill.

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

We are just bad right now.

17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

We might actually miss the playoffs at this rate. That's insane to think about.

18. theimpossibles1

Finally some logic and not just emotional reactions. :D;)

This post I agree with. We will not have home field throughout ALCS, which was a huge factor for us last year. And also the energy generated by post-Harvey sentiment was a big factor that (hopefully) won't be there.

That said, being defending champ grants a great degree of confidence. I think now is the time to 'wake up' if you will. The next two weeks will be very telling for me.

19. theimpossibles1

One thing has become abundantly clear. Jose Altuve is the heart and soul of this team. We need him back desperately.

20. HTown2017Champs

God Piscotty HAS to be the most annoying guy on the A's.