1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 6, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Sox 2 Angels 0

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

In the 4th, Sox 3 Angels 0

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bad analogy

It's highly doubtful an aggressive driver is thinking, "if I get into an accident, so be it". They are thinking they won't get into an accident... or they're too good to cause an accident.

Given the Royals recent reactions against TOR, reactions of not giving a damn, it's highly plausible their mindset is, "if we hit you, we don't care". Even if they do hit you, it could be an advantage against future batters' approach against them. Drivers have no advantage in causing accidents.

The Royals aren't trying to hit the inside corner. They're trying to throw inside, off the plate. And if they hit you, oh well. The fact pitches are ended up around the shoulders, is even more telling they don't give a damn.

Would KC throw inside, in a tie game, bases loaded? Hell nah. Why? Because in that scenario they really would care.

#1403 Houstunna, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Game over, White Sox 6 Angels 0 in the middle of the 6th.
    With Sale going, he should pitch at least 7 innings tonight, maybe pitch into the 8th, 6 is enough.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

7 to 0, still hitting in the 8th the Sox

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

7 to 2, Sox now hitting in the 7th.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

8 to 2 going to the 8th

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Am I the only one who enjoyed the hell out of the day off of Stros baseball? Was successfully able to erase it from my mind until now.

I'm already dreading the next 2 nights, and anxiously awaiting Thursday.

The highs and lows...what a roller coaster.

10. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^
    Nah, we all needed the day off I think. More importantly, hope the players come back rejuved...obv.

MadBum has been torching lesser teams as of late but can be "gotten to" by a potent offense. An aside, Altuve has historically hit him VERY well.

11. conquistador#11

ugh so many rbis for the other team that turned out because the ball was deflected by the pitcher attempting to make a play on it. I counted 4 in the last 2 games.

12. msn

msn Member

well, that series sucked.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And one of the chief architects is now running our baseball operations...

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Where art thou George Springer?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, mentioned that in my last post... although I don't think he's allowed to take credit for ALL of their success (at least that's what St. Louis fans tell me... despite them being ultra-paranoid that he's taken their mojo with him).

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I said "not much different". Would the aggressive driver be liable for his wrecks? What happens to a company that has a work place accident that kills someone through an unsafe work practice versus an accident that occurred despite best management practices in place? Drunk drivers aren't trying to kill people. Chemical companies don't try to give people cancer.

If a baseball team truly choose a strategy that results in ten extra batters being hit relative to the normal team even if that isn't the goal (granted the Royals aren't hitting more batters than normal), they are intentionally hitting 10 extra batters. They are deciding that is an acceptable loss for them. They just aren't picking the specific batter and time. Whether the punishment is just an extra base for each batter hit, that's a different matter.

It is all about degree. I just don't see the material difference between intentionally increasing the risk of a batter being hit by 10% ten times and intentionally hitting one guy one time. Pitchers aren't trying to give a batter an extra base ever. Whether the intent is to brush a batter away from batter's box, control zone, or teach a guy not to be an Q#@$ after a home run, the batter is still hit.

If an extra base is the only punishment for pitching inside, I have no moral problem with allowing an opposing team to hit a batter with the only punishment being an extra base as long as pitch is below the neck.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Have I said **** the Royals lately? Because **** the Royals.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I haven't said it much lately, f*** the RoyaLs

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This!

I really wish the pitchers would do the old nuclear bomb drill and lay down flat whenever they see the ball hit near them. I counted 3 double plays ****ed up by the pitchers deflecting the ball while it was going right to Altuve or Correa.

20. Remix

Remix Member

Agreed.

Also found it funny Cueto got a complete game shutout, which is nice, props to him, but watching the Royals fans you would think Cueto just completed a no hitter.