1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 6, 2015.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'll give it to you. You're really standing behind your boy Gregerson in the midst of the wheels falling off for him. He's miscast as a closer just like Altuve is miscast as a lead off hitter. Doesn't mean they suck all the time in their roles but overall they are not what this team needs in those roles moving forward. It would be disappointing if the organization rides it out with Gregerson the rest of the way this year without trying possible other alternatives.

2. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I don't think anyone thought this team would be in the position it is now.

Not going to lie, this loss hurt... a lot. Colby Jack brought me up real high on HR only to free fall with Gregy.... Pain is real. Hoping we overcome our road woes.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He's not "my boy". I just don't think he's as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He's not lights out...but only about 10ish guys are that. After that, everyone has issues from time to time. With closers having such a small sample size, it seems short-sighted to bail on them when they have a couple of bad games. Let's be honest--he's not going Fernando Rodney on us (yet)

With the team in a pennant race, I'd rather they ride it out a little longer, see if they can get the ship righted. If Gregerson pitches like he did most of the year, aside from the personal issue (and obviously recently), I think he's the best option on the team still

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep, I know. And I tried to defend him and help him out a bit also

Didn't work out

Just don't like what the series threads have turned into. Maybe it's me that is the problem. And if that's the case, that's fine, i'll just do like I have this series and not post much

Still think we win the division

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

honestly it could be worse.

we could be the dodgers. anyone watching the sunday night game? that team is a joke

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Actually that team is really good

It's baseball

Baseball isn't like other sports

Some will never understand that

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

they have good individual talent, but with mattingly at the helm, they'll never win anything. he makes the worst decisions, and their bullpen is horrible. him and matt williams are two of the worst managers in the league

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I agree, first Gregerson is a great set up men vs righties, few better. Now, he is just an above average closer. Altuve, last year he was a great leadoff hitter because he hit .340, but if he is going to hit .300 with few, very few walks, than he is better hitting 5th in a lineup so he drives runs. A guy hitting .300 with RISP is awesome, that means a lot of production and many RBI's.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

So, because i talk things about OUR team in a way you don't like that gives you the right to attack me as a person? Well, let me tell you, those are the kind of friends I DON'T HAVE and DONT CARE TO HAVE.

Let me tell you, we disagree in 90 percent of the time, but before i still RESPECTED you, not anymore. I will not attack you and nor make it personal, i will let you continue doing that, it looks like that is you way, so, be it.

1 person likes this.
  10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Agree with you, they have a great rotation, but the bullpen is very weak. Jim Johnson is a guy i don't trust and Mattingly continue to use him and some time even in big situations. Another thing is, why use Rollins as a leadoff hitter? His OBP must be under .280. Just because you are fast and steal bases does not mean you should be the leadoff hitter. Is like the Astros using Omar Moreno as a leadoff hitter just because he is fast.

They should let Pederson hit first because he will walk like hell. In the last 7 games he is hitting .167 but an OBP of .444. Yes, he is struggling, but still works counts and gets on base.

Why is Crawford playing? Because he has a big contract? Mattingly has many good players, but he does not know how to use them. Rollins is a guy to hit 8th and just play because of his defense. Leading off is a joke.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The only thing more pathetic than Road Stros is posters taking their anger out on other posters. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions as long as they are kept respectful. If you don't like someone's posts, just ignore them. To go about it with insults and name calling is childish and cowardly. Grow a pair. Road Stros is the problem here, not posters.

12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Agree, and it says more about the person that is taking his anger against a forum member, than the member taking his or her anger toward the Astros.
    When you are 3 and 16 in the last 19 road games, what do you think we are going to say?

The thing "some" people don't understand is that a game thread is just that, to talk about what is happening in the game. If nothing good happens, then what are we going to write about? How great is Correa? Well, we can open a topic about Correa and lets all talk POSITIVE. But, if we are playing poorly in a game, what are we going to do? Talk positive? Great, Altuve swung at first pitch of the game, fly ball to centerfield, yupiiiiiii, as an astros fan i HAVE to talk positive.

If is been repetitive why is that? Because we are making the same mistakes again and again. Because we are losing, again and again.

If anyone here does not want to talk negative on a team that is playing very bad, no problem, but the ones that are watching the game, and NOT HAPPY with the performance, let them express themselves. Don't take it personal. Don't insult others. Just because we are different, or think different, that does not give you the right to insult other people. People that insult others are mean and that is not good.

People that get mad because the team is doing bad, does that makes that person mean? Well, i prefer to be a bad fan than a mean person.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I miss George Springer

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Eff the Kansas City Royals

15. PhiSlammaJamma

There's a real sense of something vaguely interesting being urinated up a wall.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Was away yesterday, so i missed the game.

Pretty glad I did LOL, what a kick in the nuts.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does anyone get the impression that the Astros over-celebrate to the point of distraction and detriment to the team? Maybe it is okay and I'm just reading too much into it?

I will say I did not like how the Astros celebrated the Rasmus homerun in a visiting team's dugout like that...like they had just won the game. I had a feeling right then and there that this game wasn't over and would backfire. You know the As watched that whole thing and, if anything, it fired them up. I just think this team is full of young players that get a bit carried away with their celebrations. I think they should tone them down a little bit and take on a more serious approach to actually finishing the game. I think when you over-celebrate like that...it actually impacts the mindset to where you lean toward thinking you just won the game when, in fact, you need to finish the game.

But, whatever. At first I thought it was cute that the young team is doing crazy celebrating in the dugout. Now, it just feels out of place especially when your are dropping games like mad and may be giving complacency to players' mindsets like they can relax because the work is done. I'm curious as to whether this team is seeing the bigger picture? The real time to celebrate is after you win the game.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> are 6-20 on the road since sweeping two in Denver June 17-18. Of those 20 losses, nine have come by just one run. That's startling.</p>&mdash; MoiseKapenda Bower (@moisekapenda) <a href="https://twitter.com/moisekapenda/status/630528436893691906">August 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its better than getting blown out consistently on the road... those 1 run games are largely up for grabs, and young teams figure that sort of stuff out over time.

Even though both games that had clutch go-ahead HR's were ultimately blown saves... i'm still not discounting those clutch hits as "wasted".

Blown saves happen... hell, they seem to happen in Oakland quite a bit (3 of Luke's 5 blown saves are there now... and Qualls had a bunch last year). But a young team hitting multiple clutch HR's in the late innings is still a much rarer achievement that should not be just forgotten any time soon.

On to San Francisco... then back home. Plenty of baseball left.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

You know I was feeling the same way watching them celebrate like they were the home team and had just walked off a win. This team has talent but the position players are pretty immature. They are learning some hard lessons right now.