1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind it

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The law firm is different to a baseball team and baseball players. A lawyer is not a public figure, in most cases, and a baseball player is.

Now, for you to talk about employer there are ethics involved, same with me at work. Also, a lawyer has ethics on how to express about a fellow lawyer.

Now, what i am saying to you is, yes, you should not talk about your employer, but, LET OTHER PEOPLE do. You know why? They paid you to work. Now, WE PAID to see the Astros and HELP pay the salary of those players and maybe even you, so we should be able to express ourselves.

Imagine if we can't say what we think about Donald Trump? Or Gregerson? Or Carter? Or Luthnow? Are we going to be living life as in Venezuela or Cuba?

You should not talk about employer, for ethical reasons, but don't ask others in the forum to follow them because they don't need to.

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not. Still VV power arm would be great to have in the pen right now.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Why? Is more or less same team? KC is the example, they were young, good in the first half, and struggled in the second. Then made some trades and changes, example, Shields, and they turn it around.Now they are best in AL (well, Blue Jays are good also) and will be for long. We are still 1 year away, this is not our year. Now, next year i expect to win the division, and be relevant in the playoffs. If we do it this year, GREATTTTTTTT, but we should not expect that to happen. This team is young, still don't have a leader, don't have a real closer and with all of that, still battling for a playoff spot.

Will it happen? I don't know, 50/50 chance.

Now, what i want is to play over .500, if that does not happen i am going to see the season as a major waste.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Blue Jays are going to win their division.

The Wild Card is going to be between Astros, Orioles and Yankees

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

We agree, I think you missed that the person I called out works for the Astros now, so those ethical reasons you speak of apply to him. I'm a former Astros employee so I know their policy for employees. I don't have a problem with you or other non Astros employees speaking their minds (useles they say the game is over in the first, lol).

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I agree he will not be the closer because is a lot of pressure for a young pitcher, but thats the kind of arm we want for that spot. Chapman was going to be a starter but was so good as a closer that all changed with him. We have a lot of starters in the organization, is time to develop one to be the closer. Folty was a good one for that, but traded for a guys that is sucking with us.

8. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Today was in the 8th, lol

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Rockets emoji guy loses his job while attempting to support his team in an official capacity but Astros' employees can go online and call them a "joke ass team" and everything's cool?

I hope the Astros look into this. If he wants the ability to make comments like that with no reprecussions, he should do it from an anonymous account.

10. TOP

TOP Member

definitely creates excitement, but... longest season and smallest playoff field? not to mention, no salary cap. baseball is the most tedious of sports based on the length of the season. To decide 162 games with a single game... college basketball does that, after 30 games. NFL does it after 16. To decide 162 games on 1 game total? I don't like it.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yes

It is Jarf Luthnow fault we no have close er

1 person likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, i hope nothing happens, i don't want any person losing a job or something for a comment like that. Now, if you are working for the organization, i think is better not to talk badly about the team.

14. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

He tried, but closers wanted to sign elsewhere. Then tried again, and nothing. The one i would had tried harder was KRod, maybe there he had a chance.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea Jarf twied him hardest

16. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Also, i don't think he believed we were going to be this good, and tried to sign guys to improve the team, and fight for a playoff spot in 2016. Things changed with the success of the team, and then tried to get the closer, got the 2 starter for the 2 young arms that needed rest, and the bat (Cargo). Then brought the lefty specialty, the one need left, was the closer. That will have to come next year, or develop him through the minors.

Feliz, VV, McCullers.

One of those arms need to close as we have way too many starters.

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Francisco Rodriguez contract is about the same as Gregerson, so yes, maybe we made a mistake there.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm fairly certain all it means is that the org wants to get better.

The Nats got Papelbon. Didn't mean the Nats thought Storen isn't a closer...they saw an opportunity. Gregerson isn't great, but he's ok as a closer

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Oh come on dude. He has already said English isn't his first language.

20. Nook

Nook Member

KRod signed a 2/13 deal with a 2017 team option with 2 mil buyout. However KRod only made 3.5 mil this season. There is some deferred money as well. If the Brewers put him on waivers and the Astros some how make a claim and workout a deal, he would possibly cost up to 11.5 million. That is paying the deferred money and buy out.