1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 24, 2015.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This x100

Sounds like the ones hating on me are now agreeing.

He isn't ready yet.

Watch Keuchel

2. Poloshirtbandit

Similar here but I started following in the mid 90s. I just got cable again after not having it for the past 5 years, so I hadn't really seen much outside of going to a few games every year.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Did you seriously quote and agree with your own post? Do you mean Watch Keuchel and that 5.27 ERA in his first season, with a higher walk rate than Woj has.

If this were a few years ago I would be fine giving Woj a little time, but he's getting hit hard right now. I would be fine with one more start, or I would be fine with Straily being called up. No more Peacock.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I get that, and we could come up with thousands of guys who started out poorly and never got better too. Look, I hope Peacock ends up being a true Ace, an absolute front of the rotation lock down winner.

But he has had 41 career starts and has gone 7 innings exactly twice.

While Keuchel was very inconsistent in 2013, he went 7 innings 7 times in his age 25 season. In fact he had a streak where 9 of 10 starts that year he gave up 3 runs or less. There were signs, he just couldn't put it together at age 25, like he has now.

McHugh had exactly 9 major league starts before next year. So many people seem to think this guy struggled and was terrible for a long time and then BOOM....fact is, he had a total of NINE mlb starts before last year, and those came when he was 24 and 25 years old. He also had a nice K rate in the minors. Maybe his stuff didn't fit well in Colorado, but it kind of boggles my mind that the Mets gave up on this guy so easily, maybe it is because of all of the pitching depth they had in their system

Lima had a total of 21 starts (half of what Peacock has already had) before putting it together in his age 25 season. So 21 starts between the ages of 21-24 where he struggled is a little different, in my opinion, than 41 going into your age 27 season. RIP Lima, man those were some great memories

Again, I hope Peacock proves me wrong and turns into an Ace, but I don't see where he is at right now being similar to Keuchel or McHugh or Lima

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll try, just an old fart that can't type worth s###. Takes me forever to type a thought. Maybe I'll try some short thoughts.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I seriously did.

look at the game thread.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This team is just a blast to watch. I'm blown away by the fact that they've played this well while not hitting well. Huge ceiling, potentially.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If only there was some sort of middle ground between being an ACE and never getting another start again...

The bottom line is that until the Astros have more bonafied options to consider (mainly considering Appel), you're going to see a rotating smorgasbord of Wojo, Peacock, Straily, Deduno, and any other potential candidate currently on the 40 man roster for the 5th man spot (the simplest scenario is that Obie simply comes back and pitches well).

The good news is that one of the biggest rotation question marks going into the season (Fausto) has been more than adequate.

10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I would add Hernandez to this list. Seems like we have a strong 1 and 2, and Feldman is a solid 4 or 5 pitching in the 3 spot. Maybe Hernandez will solidify the 4 spot, but we'll see.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's who Fausto is in my last part of the post.

He's locked into the #4 as long as he continues pitching like this.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Comcast needs to hurry up and set my stuff up! Missing the Stros and Root Sports....
    (moved into a new house)....

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Straily was terrible for the Cubs. He was terrible in ST, and he has been bad in AAA this season. I wouldn't call him up. I'd rather give Deduno a shot at this point.

I'd say Jake Buchanan is next man up.

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Deduno with Obie making an appearance after that to the rotation.

15. Buck Turgidson

Best nickname I've seen for him is "Fauxsto"

16. Buck Turgidson

Remind me again why they couldn't have kept Corporan and Tropeano? Was there more to that deal that I just don't recall?

Yeah, I remember now..."pitch framing". From a backup catcher.