1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros at Pirates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., May 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Assuming he was calling for it, that was Parades' ball all the way. Don't see an argument otherwise.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Ordinarily yes, but in this case the 2nd baseman was pretty much under it, while clearly indicating he has it, while the RF is sprinting in.

There was a very similar play earlier in the game, and Carter ran into Elmore after Elmore made the catch, even though he saw Elmore.

Parades has no field presence.

#43 juicystream, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm under the impression you should always go after the ball just in case something happens to the right fielder (trips, heart attack, get shot, whatever). Since the RF does have priority when he calls you give it to him. It doesn't appear that he called though or he wasn't loud enough.

Doesn't matter to me though. The Astros are making clutch plays to stay in contention with Miami for the #1 pick.

5. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Why was carter playing in of??

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

peredes isnt an outfielder... guy has a cannon for an arm however.. but twice in how many games hes ran into ssi 2nd basemen..

7. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Hate to say this but porter is in over his head

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

How is that? You think this collection of "talent" is under-achieving?

9. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

he didnt know the rules..he still runs ambriz out there..and he cant seem to communicate to parderes to quit acting like an idiot..no accountability on this team.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

XIrocket: I was curious to see who was going to criticize Porter. I, frankly, haven't been thrilled with the "in-game" decisions, but I like him outside of that. Our bullpen is just absolute trash, and it is hard to expect him to do much. Considering we are waiting for Fields to come back (a rule 5er) to help us out... we aren't in good shape. Paredes (not sure where that second "r" came from) I still think was in the right on both the Altuve and Elmore play. He should have done a better job calling them off, but still. The drop that he had against McCutchen, purely his fault. But, once again, Barnes had the night off and we just don't have the personnel. I don't think Porter has the tools to be judged appropriately.

As for the rules thing, I think it was an honest mistake. Obviously, if something like that happens again, you have to wonder if he has the mind for the game, but it seemed like a rookie error. The fact he owned up to it made me respect him more.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The umpires didn't either, and 90% of these players wont be in the pros in 4 years. This team has a worse collection of talent than the previous 2. I won't judge Porter until next season when we have some decent prospects finally make it to the bigs.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Personally, I am giving Porter and the team in general a wide birth this year. There just isnt anyway you can compare the team and manager we have to the average major league teams. We are a team full of rookies with a rookie manager to boot. Do I get frustrated with them? Yes. Are they making mistakes? Yes. Do I wish this were not so? Yes.

But they are what they are, and the vast majority of it was set into motion by Jeff Luhnow's vision to rebuild the team made implicit by what condition the team and farm were in by Drayton McLane as the baton was handed to Crane and Co.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Bases loaded, 1 out

Result?

Donut :(

14. juicystream

That was a horrible out call at 2nd base on Castro's groundball. The throw gave the fielder no chance to stay on 2nd, and they gave him one of the friendliest "neighborhood" calls I've ever seen.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So what great option, other than ambriz, do you want him to run out there???

16. juicystream

The rules was embarrassing

He's pretty much in a lose-lose when picking guys out of the bullpen

It wasn't Jimmy's fault with Altuve. He has made it clear to Paredes that what happened yesterday is unacceptable. It isn't on him to send him back down.

17. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

i like this cisernos pitcher

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It also will not help the rebuilding process to become the team that fires the manger every other year.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Congratulations on your first Major League win, Jose Cisnero.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Atta boy <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23astros">#astros</a>. Way to gut one out tonight.</p>&mdash; Reid Ryan (@robertreidryan) <a href="https://twitter.com/robertreidryan/status/335954508825894913">May 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>