1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] A's @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 12, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

well that's a good way to keep the closer position. :rolleyes:

welcome back lidge :eek:

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I love those cuts to Wheeler in the dugout...you can bet what he's thinkin.

3. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Wow, just Wow. i cant believe he didnt even last a batter. It will be very interesting to see how he handles the rest of the inning. if he can get through the inning without giving up anymore runs, he might be ok. I hope

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That if he didnt' have a 5+ ERA before tonight, he'd still be there? Of course.

If only Lidge could have thrown these sliders to Kotsay... its ALL ABOUT THE FREAKING SLIDER.

5. JunkyardDwg

You think Garner may have been too quick to put him back into that role...in other words maybe give him a 2 or 3 run save first where he has more room for error?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He gives up a home run on a 0-2 count, but stikes out a guy after falling behind 3-0.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its all about the slider... the ones he threw to Swisher and Chavez were unhittable (and impossible to lay off). The one he threw to Kotsay was a humping-hanging-please tee off on me piece of ****.

The fact that it was on an 0-2 count makes it all the more damning.

8. JunkyardDwg

Lol true...but in his mind he didn't do anything to warrant being demoted.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

At least he recovered well. 2 HUGE K's and a popup with a man on 3rd to get out of the inning with a tie.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well that's about the only way he could have saved face after those first two brain-farts.

Its clearly no longer mechanical... he was executing that slider beautifully starting with Swisher. Its time to bring the mental part back into focus (if he ever had it).

11. JunkyardDwg

Well kudos to him for pulling together and getting out of the inning.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lidge's lights are out.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can't believe he got out of that. I couldn't watch. I guess I'll turn it back on now. Mmmkay.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm so confused. :confused:

Lidge shows you why he was removed from the closer's role with the first 2 batters, then shows you why he had been so dominate before the Pujols homer in 2005.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I guess so. I wasn't watching (reading scores on the net) but turned around when I heard the crowd moan. It pisses me off to no end, but you can't help feel for the kid.

So, should we keep throwing him out there in save situations taking the risk of hurting his trade value now? It just seems hopeless.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, then he's living in his own world. He gave up HR's on multiple occasions in his appearences as a closer... the only difference was that he had some cushion and didn't get the blown save.

Also, its just as much as Lidge seemingly regaining his stuff, as it was Wheeler's ineffectiveness... Lidge still has some work to do, however.

Namely, don't hang your awesome/unhittable slider in an 0-2 count.

17. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member

Not sure what to think ... not one of his typical meltdown of last year. Last year, the double, then wildpitch would have been followed by more hits, more runs - instead he gets the next 3 ... :confused:

18. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Pupura and Garner suck!!! Lidge should have been traded!!

His stock was climbing again...now it might have dropped again.

This guys CAN'T close out games anymore...might as well trade him for something while he was on a hot streak!!!

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, they have to. As long as he has that slider back (which he does), he'll get saves by accident. The main thing I'm worried about it him being able to keep his mechanics while now being reduced to "spotty" work again.

If he makes even one mistake in the 9th inning with his mechanics, he'll get pounded. Tonight pretty much proves that without a doubt.

If scouts see that slider, however, there is still going to be a demand for him. You may not get as much for him as you would have in 05, but it will definitely be more than what you would have got for him at the start of this season.

20. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

you are a bobblehead... lidge will be fine. he just showed you by striking out 2 with RISP. he just needed to relax.