1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] A's @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. DO NOT GIVE PLAY-BY-PLAY! If you need PBP try Yahoo, ESPN, or Sportsline.

6-12 Joe Kennedy, LHP (2-4, 3.23) vs. Roy Oswalt, RHP (6-4, 3.38) 7:05 on FSN

6-13 Joe Blanton, RHP (5-4, 3.60) vs. Chris Sampson, RHP (6-5, 3.36) 7:05 on FSN

6-14 Chad Gaudin, RHP (6-1, 2.43) vs. Jason Jennings, RHP (0-1, 2.70) 1:05 on FSN

#1 Castor27, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. msn

msn Member

First; WWWdammit!

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At least we have 3 good pitchers going.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros have a decent shot to win any series where two of these three pitch.

The fact that all 3 are pitching gives them a more than decent shot.

Woody-Wandy are a serviceable #4 and #5... but they are just that. Nobody should confuse either of them as being better than they are. And that means overall, the team is very fortunate to have Sampson blossom as a reliable/dependable starter that can very much be a #3 guy in this league.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Too bad their 3 are pitching better so far this season. I'm very afraid.

Good Pitching + Bad Offense = No Hitter?

That being said I'll just count on us winning games 1-0. WWL

6. Major

Major Member

Wow, their worst guy has a 3.6 ERA? We managed to avoid Haren and his absurd 1.6 ERA and would-be-a-cy-young-contender-if-he-could-stay-healthy Rich Harden, and still end up facing 3 fantastic pitchers. That rotation is ridiculous.

7. Buck Turgidson

Roy Oswalt needs to start pitching like Roy Oswalt again. Soon. Like tonight.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm really interested in seeing the A's play this year. They rarely show them on national TV, so I always feel like I know so little about them.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow thank God Dan Haren isn't pitching for them.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also, thankfully he's not pitching for the Cardinals... while Mark Mulder remains injured following shoulder surgery, with an arm that may never fully recover.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm not sure if the A's are really good at scouting pitchers, or if they just have awesome pitching coaches. Either way, it seems more than a coincidence that they succeed with great starting pitching even after letting their "big 3" go. Moneyball is great and all, but pitching makes them go.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

WWL...I think we bounce back (I've been saying it all year, so why stop now) and win another series...

Go Stros!!!

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But its the "moneyball" philosophy that says they likely got the maxium possible value out of Mulder/Zito/Hudson, and that signing all of them (or just one of them) to big deals would result in them getting significantly lower value for the amount they'd then be paying these guys.

Its not hard to target good "qualtiy" young pitching if you know that you have no other resources to get otherwise. That doesn't mean you get the "great" young pitching like they had in Mulder/Zito/Hudson, or what the Braves had in the early 90's, but you tend to do more of your homework when there is less margin for error, and you have no other resort to build a competitive team.

The A's make no secret about it... they plan on working their young pitchers long/hard while they have them, because a.) The first 6 years of their career will likely be the most productive, b.) It is very rare to have a pitcher stay injury-free after they get past 6 years of big-league pitching, and c.) The first 6 years are the time they're most affordable, and since they're not going to re-sign them after their arb. eligible years are over, might as well use them as much as possible while you have them.

Its not suprising that Mulder/Hudson have had some injury problems since leaving Oakland... and that Zito (the one they held on to the longest) hasn't fared as well away from the bay area.

Likewise, for the Astros, its unlikely they get as much production from Oswalt over the next 5 years (where he's getting paid big money) that they got for his first 5 years (but for the Astros, its not a "mistake" since they have the resources to keep their own free agents).

#13 Nick, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Or just on the other side of it. :rolleyes:

15. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

The A's should rock us. So, let's hope they don't.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My bad... it happens.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I am going with LLL. Biggio: 2-14 with 10 Ks

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was going to say WWW.

But with the Chan Ho Park signing, it is LLL.

Talk about taking wind out of the Astros' sails with a desperate maneuver by the GM.

19. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Berkman taking his 2 game suspension. Definitely losing this series.

20. Buck Turgidson

Koreans are notoriously scrappy. It's a cultural thing.