1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think Trump being re-elected is small stuff?

You can feel how you want and blame the dems but it's not small stuff.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would agree with you it’s not small stuff .

I do also think , however, that we place an inordinate amount of value on the presidential election and that if you really want to make change to focus on local and legislative races . That’s where the actual bizzness goes down .

Tho , having someone like trump in the White House IS dangerous. However , if the rest of our government was working properly it would not be sooo dangerous .

RayRay10, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Totally agree.

4. VanityHalfBlack

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm struggling hard with this.

I've come to realize over the last year just how little I agree with Bernie on policy. Turns out in 2016 I was simply more allergic to status quo neoliberal garbage than I was in love with Bernie. I agree with the spirit of a lot of his ideas, but I think many of them are going to have large practicality shortfalls at best and, at worst, result in some severe unintended consequences. Plus the Sanders crowd was more hostile towards the Yang Gang than any political in-fighting I have ever seen. I am not forgetting that. Bridge Berned, as it were.

The saving grace for Bernie with me is that he is the one candidate willing to give the DNC the much needed bleaching it deserves. I don't know if that is enough for me to vote for him in the primary though. There's a Yang write-in campaign forming, and I may very well join that. I don't feel any candidate really speaks for me and sending a message that many people are sticking by Yang even after his campaign ended would be powerful and help put some momentum behind the cause in 2022 and beyond, because it's very clear this is a long-term effort.

Lots to think about in the days ahead.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Supporters are still writing in Yang in the ballots. They not going out without a fight, that's for damn sure, lol.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

I told you I was gonna vote blue anyways, calm your ass down man JESUS CHRIST!! It ain't even November yet and you already getting worked up.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He'll be on the ballot everywhere they gathered signatures (pretty much everywhere except a few late states), including my state, so many people won't even have to write-in.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

That's kind of stupid for anyone who actually supports Yang. I suspect he'd want to you use your vote in a productive way to help a candidate he believes in do well, rather than vote for him at this point.

Rashmon likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm still vacillating a bit too. There's some things I prefer about Warren. I think she's got better leadership qualities than Sanders or anyone else in the field. I just don't like her policy instincts. But she's generally facing the right direction, so I might switch horses.

Not that it'd matter since she seems to be fading, and Bernie coming on. Which is a useful bit of humility -- the power of an individual vote is infinitesimally small. As small as it is, me posting on this bbs is probably a larger influence on the election than going in and voting -- but still nothing compared to the influence of a PAC, a journalist, or a superbowl ad. Because it's the alignment of beliefs and of support among millions that matters. The trigger pullers in the voting booth only matter to the extent they've been marshaled and organized by a larger political movement. So I'm not going to torture myself overmuch on who I should vote for. I've educated myself, thought about it, but that's enough. I'm not taking moral responsibility for the outcome of this election no matter who I vote for.

If he did, he'd endorse someone. If his withholding for a UBI promise, then I wouldn't think he'd want his supporters to use their votes in a productive way.

Anyway, he's not our dead father where we have to speculate what he'd want for our lives. If he wants something, he can say it. And we can decide if it even matters.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree . You want as many people who support the message to actually show that they support his ideas. Its a primary. If the other candidates really feel that voting for Yang somehow damages the ability of the dems to beat trump .... then make a better case other than " if you vote for yang , person x is going to win and he/she will lose vs trump"

Imagine if he starts getting 5 %'s or higher . That's significant. His endorsement starts to mean more, maybe he can push the frontrunner , or someone who is in 2nd place to adopt his platform .

As it stands no other candidate has favored UBI ( tulsi aside , but hers is different and i dont really trust her) . All of the remaining candidates think the electoral college should be elimated, only a couple of them are in favor of nuclear power . Yang was the only one who wasn't pushing for a 15/hr min wage ... which i agree with .

How am i supposed to vote for another candidate when their platform lines up, at best, 60 percent with Yang's.

Nah , you have to put the actual record of support for those policies on the ballot .... THEN the party might listen. If no one votes for yang then his support was theoretical , support for his policies will be underestimated, and the only record he has is in 2 states.

Vote with your heart in the primary and your head in the general.

13. Major

Major Member

If that were the case, I'd think he wouldn't have dropped out of the race. He'd have gotten more votes that way.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I didn't know that about Tulsi. Now that I know, I still dislike her more than any other candidate. I guess it seems like opportunism.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Voting for non existent candidates is a waste of time. I support Warren but I see the writing on the wall. I'm voting Bernie on super tuesday whether she's still in the race or not.

I can't believe some of you people that would give Rat Pete a shot at the nomination. You pull this "write in Yang" **** and that's what you'll get. A filthy McKinsey wall street moderate.

#1175 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe Yang is becoming a force ghost though, more powerful than you could possibly imagine, yadda yadda.

[​IMG]

DonnyMost likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

maybe. I see more media attention now than when he was in the race. So much positivity now about how hes a " voice in the party for the future etc..."

He probably dropped out because he didnt want to keep employing staff, asking for donations when he knew the probability of winning was very low.

Whats your problem with me voting for Yang ?

Why is it smarter to vote for another candidate?

edit @REEKO_HTOWN aren't warren and bernie pretty closely aligned ? In your situation it makes sense to vote for bernie given the overlap in policy and the fact that the other people at the top go in different directions from berni/warren

But what if Bernie already had the nomination locked up , would you vote for warren then ?

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I support your choice to do whatever, and I shouldn't answer a question for Major, but let me offer something.

If trickster Trump loyalists come to the Dem primaries to help elect the candidate they see as most easily defeated, then we grant them additional power by voting for ghost candidates ourselves. Just one way to think about it. Or, we give extremists in our party more power, etc. I'm going to vote for whomever I most like out of the candidates I consider viable. I'm leaning hard toward Amy in the Cali primary.

Os Trigonum and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised you have Sanders at the top. I thought you were more of a moderate. :eek:.

For me, Amy is now my top choice.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You could make that trump loyalist argument for Yang , considering he seemed to have a ton of libertarian and republican support ( at least as far i can tell relative to other dems) I cant tell if those voices were sincere or they thought that Yng would be easy trump fodder.

I think no one knows who the best matchup for trump is. And i mean no one. Not democratic strategists , not republican strategists , certainly not an individual voter.

I dunno , i think if you vote for the "ghost" candidate it sends a message , a message of dissatisfaction with the rest of the choices. If Yang's support is really small , like 2 percent it probably doesnt make a difference. If 10 percent vote for Yang , the dem party should take that as a serious wake up call .... which i think they need.

After all, they lost to trump , have tried to hamstring him in office with marginal effect, failed at impeaching him , and their candidates this time appear to have a 50/50 shot at best despite Trump's shitty approval rating.