1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

damn.

Thats what i also think, but i think that about everyone left in the Field outside of Bernie and Amy. Warren, pete, and Biden are way too politiciany. Steyer, I have no idea what he's doing ? Bloomberg, idk either I havent heard him speak yet and would have a tough time voting for him considering how he's bought his way in so far.

JayGoogle likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And what are you basing this on?

Has he said something and did something different?

Do you think Warren is progressive?

joshuaao likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, Warren has a track record. I don't think she knows exactly what she wants to do but I have no doubt that she's willing to do it.

I mean...as for Pete here you go...

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much how I feel. Pete is the worst for me among Biden and Warren just because they do have a track record so it's easier to see what they stand for.

But Pete just feels like that politician that will say what he thinks he has to say, so he's not my first choice.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’d say Pete is my number 2 least favorite with Bloomberg being #1 , maybe that will change , but I doubt it .

You’re right that biden and warren at least have some experience . I care about that less in terms of a guidepost of what they believe , but more as in they will be more effective in governing the country . If a shapeshifter wins , at least let it be an effective one . Plus maybe those guys throw my boy Yang a bone :)

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you actually watch their video?

Even this guy says Pete is progressive.

Warren has flipped flopped as well so why is she still thought of as progressive.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because Warren has a history of being progressive, she's much more like Bernie than any other candidate, would you agree or disagree with that?
    https://projects.propublica.org/rep...ren/compare-votes/S000033-bernard-sanders/115

Also, the subject was about Pete, you asked what did he flip flop on, I provided it. I don't think nothing else needs to be said here, Warren flip-flopping has hurt her campaign so it really is irrelevant right now, she should have stuck to her guns like Bernie has and Klobuchar has.

8. Major

Major Member

This is kind of laughable. Most of these aren't even flips. Whatever is going on at 2:20 in the video - it seems like they put some random audio (maybe from some other Pete ad?) over a ad that isn't even about that - just look at the audio and video and it makes no sense. One of his examples of a flip flop was that Pete said the Electoral College should be abolished and the Supreme Court should be reformed. He still believes that - it's right there on his website - but since he doesn't talk about it regularly in his stump speech, it's a flip-flop? The Bernie thing isn't remotely a flip flop- - that just seems like total nonsense. The special interests thing isn't either, given that he was talking about corruption in taking money banks doing business with the state treasury. The border is the only that seems like the real flip in that whole video, and even that's nuanced between civil and criminal law and how it was handled Pre-Trump and now. None of the candidates who raised their hand actually meant that people should be free to randomly cross the border and it should all be legal.

jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The original question was if Pete was progressive and even the guy in the video said he was.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are fogetting the biggest one of them all. He went from a staunch supporter of M4A to an opponent of it. The video also did say the Bernie thing was not fair and was just poking fun at him, but Pete has certainly moved to the center...

He did so in relation to Obama, said he was more left to Obama, which is true. All of the candidates outside of Biden (Since he can't go after his own legacy as VP too much) are more left of Obama in this race right now.

I said Pete isn't progressive because I don't believe he actually stands for those things because of his flip-floppy nature.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

At this stage and now with Yang out (and ignoring the irrelevant candidates), I think I go:

1. Sanders
    2. Warren
    3. Buttigieg
    4. Biden
    5. Klobuchar
    6. Bloomberg
    98. The Taco Bell chihuahua
    99. Gabbard

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Mine looks like

1)Bernie
    2) klobuchar
    3)biden
    4) warren
    5) Pete
    6) Mikey

JayZ750 and RayRay10 like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is basically mines but I'd put Warren 3rd and Biden 4th. I'm more into Bernie's ideals but I think Klobuchar has a good chance at winning, I didn't always believe so, but I certainly see the appeal to her now.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Major

Major Member

I did forget M4A, but keep in mind, in 2018, M4A was a very vague term. Pete's plan today fits into the broader M4A slogan from 2018. Here's an article from July 2018:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...r-all-single-payer-health-care-2018-elections

Historically, Medicare-for-all has meant single-payer health insurance, a national government-run program that covered every American and replaced private coverage entirely, similar to the government-run health care programs in Canada and some European countries.

Then-Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) first introduced the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act in 2003. Conyers has since been disgraced by sexual harassment allegations but the idea lives on. It’s now sponsored by Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) and it is still a single-payer proposal. So is Sanders’s Medicare-for-all bill, a cornerstone of his unexpectedly resonant 2016 presidential campaign.

But these days, other plans are falling under the Medicare-for-all umbrella. Some progressives, like Green, are even comfortable with the term being applied to the various proposals to allow all Americans buy into Medicare. Some of those plans used to be branded as a “public option”; they would not end private insurance that more than half of Americans get, usually through work, as a true single-payer would. But these plans would also not provide the same guarantee of universal coverage that a single-payer system does.

“For anybody who supports Medicare-for-all single payer, what better way to debunk the right wing lies than to allow millions and millions of Americans to voluntarily opt into Medicare and love it?” Green told me in our interview. “As a political strategy, having Medicare-for-all be a broad umbrella where any candidate can embrace some version of it... that moves the center of gravity in the Democratic party.”

And it wasn't just politicians - M4A was also a vague term for the public:

One chart from the Kaiser Family Foundation, the gold standard for health policy polling, sums up why there is any debate at all about the meaning of Medicare-for-all.

Medicare-for-all gets nearly two-thirds support, but a “single-payer health insurance system” is a little more divisive: 48 percent have a positive reaction, and 32 percent have a negative reaction; the gap between favor and disfavor closes considerably. Medicare buy-ins poll the highest, with the support of three-fourths of Americans, including 6 out of 10 Republicans.

You could absolutely argue these numbers still seem pretty strong for single-payer described as such, given the conventional wisdom that such a plan is unworkable. But it is undoubtedly true that Medicare-for-all, as a slogan, is more popular — as are some of these more incremental policies, like giving people the option of buying into Medicare.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That is fair, I can't really counter that.

jiggyfly, dmoneybangbang and Deckard like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I certainly do, and with all due respect to @JayGoogle, I couldn't disagree more with the notion that Pete "isn't sincere," or "says whatever he thinks he needs to say." Pete is learning how to have a national campaign for the nation's highest office on the fly. He's going to make some verbal mistakes, it is inevitable, but so do deeply experienced pols. I think Jay was going too far with that comment, but I have to give him credit for his response to @Major. Jay has an open mind, which is always good to see here.

I would describe Pete as a moderate progressive. Just a few years ago, some of his positions would have been seen by many as being on the left side of liberal, but not in today’s Democratic presidential race. I actually had the paragraph above typed when I got interrupted by my significant other and then decided to watch the Rockets/Celtics game again. Damn, what a game!

17. VanityHalfBlack

It's okay Yang Gang, we only just getting started. 2024 is around the corner before you know it. Trump can have this win unless Bernie camp comes through with the knock out!! Don't sweat the small stuff, we got this!

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Trump can have this win.

Don't sweat the small stuff?

What?

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I like Yang very much. He was my top choice. But he couldn’t even crack double digit anywhere. He is now irrelevant in politics and need to take another path if he wants to become relevant. I hope he consider running for Congress. Or hey, head some new dept of technology in a future administration.

If trump win, there probably won’t ever be a fair election again for decades. Hint: GOP will maintain power and we probably will be a completely different country by the end of his term.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Jiggle , I think you have to understand that ALOT of yang’s Support comes from outside the dem party. There are MANY former trump voters and libertarians in the gang . So, it’s not unexpected that many yang supporters are now going back to trump or back to indifference

In my case , yang brought me back into caring about our government and politics lol . So , while I’ll probably vote in the general and I’ll def vote against trump if I vote ... I’m not particularly gung-ho about the other dem options .... especially since none of them seemed to try to engage yang and actually take to heart what he was saying .

If you’re outside politics and yang brought you in . Now that he’s gone you have this feeling of “well , the Dems made their own bed, they can sleep in it.”

I’m not saying it’s the best attitude to have , but it’s certainly one I understand and I personally feel some of that .

VanityHalfBlack and Amiga like this.