1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like Kamala more than most folks on here, but she’s been not too inspiring so far. Not a lot of enthusiasm I can sense for her here in her home turf at present. BUT she’s been underestimated before and always beat expectations.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

Don't know how you got that from that post.

we really are eating our own.

3. B-Bob

Dude why are you so passionate about this list? You don’t like Yang, that’s cool, but if your gripe is his tweet about a list, that’s kind of microscopic. And if his fans annoy you, ... you could... skip this thread?

I personally don’t give two craps about the NBC list. It’s an odd mistake, but today’s media can’t even proofread their own headlines. Shrug.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I would like her more if she would stick to the issues at hand, instead of trying to make a name for herself by attacking other candidates.

The attacking has turned me off from a lot of the candidates... Stick with the issues and policies on your proposal on what you plan on doing.

T_Man

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I understand your point. My point is you can make that point about anything new. But we don't, do we.

biff17 likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden - Yang...

biff17 likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

From msnbc and cnn? Can I see it?

8. B-Bob

Completely unscientific web poll at Daily Kos. I normally avoid them completely, but I was searching to see if anyone ran a poll on the climate town hall, and this is all I found.

[​IMG]

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fair press treatment is already a sensitive subject because of Sanders' complaints in 2016 about how his candidacy was minimized in the media's march to crown the heir apparent. Sanders is complaining now that he's still ignored for 2020 (he does seem to be given his popularity, but I think its because he's now more of a known quantity, so he's not going to attract the clicks).

And it does serve Yang for the Yang Gang people to complain, because the complaining itself becomes a story and garners clicks. I agree he doesn't want to appear overly aggrieved where people start to get annoyed, but there's benefit to doing the right amount.

This NBC list looks like a mistake because they say 10 and list 9. But more broadly, the minimization of Yang including the 'mistakes' comes from these media outlets' pursuit of certain narratives. So, when CNN listed Beto instead of the better scoring Yang while reporting on the Quinnipiac poll, they couldn't show everybody and probably thought the most newsworthy thing was to show the usual suspects, and maybe its interesting that darling Beto is floundering. In new media platforms, some have seized upon the Yang as a Dark Horse narrative, but the cable news media still really hasn't. I think they don't really understand Yang's appeal, they think he's just a gimmick, and so they have their blinders on. With blinders on, when it comes to these little decision points -- "they just released a poll with 23 candidates, let's show Biden, Warren, and Sanders across the top and then we can put 3 more at the bottom..." -- they don't think Yang's storyline will be interesting for anyone to follow (nevermind that the title says something like "top nominees"). Likewise, when they had the debates they fed a lot of questions to the big guys and tossed Yang 2 (and allegedly cut off his mic at other points). It makes a ton of sense to give the big guys more attention, but it's also a reflection of what they think each candidate is worth. And, like on this most recent NBC graphic, if their intern forgot to put Elizabeth Warren's name on it, someone who have noticed and gotten it fixed. But, forget Yang's name and they don't notice because they don't take his candidacy seriously anyway.

Anyway, I think they're going to have to start thinking about and talking about Yang more as the field narrows and he remains standing. The dark horse story will eventually loom like it did for Sanders eventually in 2016. But, Yang's campaign also has to fight to get that attention like Sanders had to fight. And part of that fighting is to point out and cry foul over these little slights.

10. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Plenty of lists that are accurate and a number that have been inaccurate. This could be a simply mistake or it could be intentional.

The point is that these continued mistakes don't instill a lot of confidence in me after witnessing the way NBC News (among others) have reported on Yang. It's him in this cycle like it was Bernie last time and Ron Paul in previous campaigns.

The benefit for the companies is to push candidates that will support their interests (foreign wars, legacy media, protection for the elite class).

11. Nook

Nook Member

Kamala Harris is an opportunist and it is just very obvious.... that turns a lot of people off.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Eh - Sanders' darkhorse story was relevant in 2016 because he was taking 20-40% of the vote and actually won states. Yang is at 2% and has not shown himself to be relevant in any way of as yet. The darkhorse story is nowhere in play for Yang at this time any moreso than it is for Booker, Castro, or Marianne Williamson.

Right now, Harris and Pete are the "darkhorses" in this race, if anything, and Pete is barely hanging on there due to his money, not his votes.

biff17 likes this.
  13. biff17

biff17 Member

You seem to be more.passionate about the list than me.

I have no issue with Yang and think he would be a great cabinet member and a great candidate moving forward.

I am not griping about about the list, I am griping about the reaction to this list.

My issue is that Yang's campaign made this list an issue after the great mic debate.

So now I need to skip the thread?

Really?

14. B-Bob

Your call, of course.

But no, to restate: I don’t think the list is an issue.

I think the feedback on the climate town hall to be 10^6 times more interesting.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

#615 biff17, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

As do I.

Which is why I don't like his campaign bringing it up, If this was a one off I would have no issue but they are fine raising on the victim hood grievance.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's really just NBC who seems to have it out for Yang. Their treatment of him has been comically dishonest well beyond the reasonable doubt of ineptitude.

ryan_98 likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

i knew you were pushing a conspiracy theory.

Thanks for making my point.

please tell us why Yang is a threat to these companies.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

No Worries likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The thread on twitter has example after example of this behavior, particularly on the part of NBC.

Most of the time this has happened over the last several months I would attribute it to either ignorance/sloppiness or simply a lack of name recognition (call it the celebrity effect... a 'big' name polling low is a story in itself). But as time goes on and Yang's numbers go up, it's getting harder and harder to think it is coincidental instead of intentional.

*My personal favorite example of this was an MSNBC infographic on Yang's "primary policies" that highlighted the following: eliminating the penny, paying NCAA athletes, lowering the voting age to 16, etc. with absolutely no mention of the Freedom Dividend, Healthcare, Education, etc. Pretty much the most obvious tank job ever.

#620 DonnyMost, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    ryan_98 likes this.