1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official ALCS Thread - Yankees vs Red Sox

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was gonna do this whole Astros thing with that scene, but I'm too lazy. You'll get your snack off layaway after we beat the **** outta the Cards tonight! :D

2. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

LOL

that's awesome, i'm so pumped up for this game tonight, time to book some flights to boston, cause here we come!!

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you should have kicked his ass when we were at the game...we got snacks, now.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Pimp,

I hear what you are saying, but I really think that the disappearance of the Yankees 1-4 hitters after Game 3 is what did them in.

Sheffield only had like 1 hit in the last 4 games, Jeter was terrible, and how bad was A-Fraud?? Bad enough that he had to resort to a bush league play to try to get on in one instance.

And then look at the bullpen of Boston. With the exception of the bizarre move of using Pedro last night, I don't think they gave up a run after Game 3. That is what won the series - no doubt that Ortiz played a huge role, but I still think that Boston's pitching, both starting and relief, were better than the Yankees in the last 4 games.

5. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

hey, dont worry. that bitterness will eventually, someday far away, fade from memory. just dont look at any record books! :D

6. lalala902102001

The moment I saw A-Rod slap the ball out of Arroyo's glove the other night, I just had this strange thought that this could be it--the end of the Red Sox curse. The act committed by Alex Rodriguez might very well have changed some cosmic makeup that had haunted the Red Sox all these years.

Think about what has been wrong with this great game of baseball in the last decade or so. Money and greed have tained the purity of the game so much. Ridiculous contracts, steroid use, craze over homeruns, continuing decline in fundamentals, absense of salary cap...a lot of fans walked away from our national pasttime.

A-Rod's contract symbolizes a lot of these things that are wrong with baseball today. The Rangers were forced to trade their best player in his prime simply because they couldn't afford him while trying to build a winning team. A-Rod could easily have become a Red Sox, but at the end they couldn't afford him either. Enter the Yankees, the only team in baseball with unlimited budget. Goerge Steinbrenner opened his wallet and the boss got his man. And he was finally able to build a Yankees team with unprecedent hitting powers and total salaries.

And yet, when it came down to it, the superstar needed to use a cheap shot to try to get on base. And he did it in the Yankee Staduim, the cathedral of baseball where the greats played. If anything could break a curse originated in greed, this would be it. When the Red Sox traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees in 1919, they took the money over the best player who ever played the game. They were too cheap to win and they suffered the consequence--the curse of the bambino. But the night in 2004 when Alex Rodriguez, the superstar of this decade, the symbol of everything that is wrong with baseball, the player that the Red Sox could not afford to have, tried to cheat to get on base, he did something that nobody was able to do for a long long time--he broke the Red Sox curse and relieved that franchise from their eternal sin.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if there is a curse (and i say there is one even though they only came up with the idea about 14 years ago) then it most definitely lasts until the world series is won. hell, y'all have been to the world series before, you've had better years than the yankees, but nonetheless the curse has always been about the world series. lets put it this way, if they won the world series this year w/o going through the yankees, would people consider the curse over? yes.

i was torn on the outcome of this series. on the one hand, i hate the yankees and sort of like the sox. on the other, i love the whole curse thing (with the cubs also) and thus don't wanna see it end. and the yankees winning makes sure that doesn't happen. however, i'm still glad the yankees got punk'd as hard as they did.

after watching "the curse of the bambino" documentary (i guess that's what it was, i only saw the last 15 minutes) on hbo today, i've decided the sox simply can't be allowed to win the WS. 1908 and 1918, two numbers i've grown up my whole life hearing. two curses never meant to end. i'll feel cheated if one of them goes away during my lifetime. with the sox spending almost like the yankees these days (at least compared to everyone else) and the cubs staring to spend and having a great pitching staff, they are both threatening to put those to rest and it makes me mad. those are things that are supposed to go down from generation to generation. they can't end. and like i've always thought and the documentary mentioned, what do the fans even do if they win? the sox are wrapped up in the curse. that's what they are. "this is the year" is their mantra and if they win, it can never be again. they can't b**** anymore. they can't bemoan the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune ever again. and that would suck. their identity is wrapped up in losing in painful, painful ways. the stros have always lost in painful, painful ways, but that's still not our identity. we're allowed to win. in the overall scheme of the game of baseball, the cubs and red sox can't win because then they're not the cubs and red sox anymore. so here's hoping whoever makes it out of the nlcs (us) beats the red sox. for the good of baseball, and for the good of sox fans everywhere who won't ever be or get to be the same if they win.

8. Manny Ramirez

I think I rather read a post from you dissing Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin than this garbage.

Here is a classic example of someone who has been fed a steaming pile of horse**** by the media and has believed it hook, line, and sinker.

If the Red Sox win the World Series, I doubt seeing myself becoming a fan of some other team. I mean you can never say never, but I am 100% sure of that one.

I mean I hate to sound like I am dumping on you, f4p (you know that I have always enjoyed reading your posts despite our differences), but those feelings of yours is what has really fed all this curse garbage. It really has. Whoever from the media that came up with that - I hope for their sake they got a patent on that idea because they should be one rich SOB.

9. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Manny, what ever happened to that class I set up for you? Wasn't lesson 1 of Internet for Mannies 101 "Don't reconnect your modem until 48 hours after the end of the big game because you are way too easily baited"?

Christ, we spent a lot of time putting that class together, dude. Don't let us down.

10. Manny Ramirez

I guess I have been influenced by your sig to do things that were out of my power.

Sorry - any way I can treat you for pancakes if we ever meet in person? Please?

Meanwhile, I think there is a new curse - the curse of "DaDakota" - he who said how the Astros are going to 'hammer' Boston in the World Series. Whoops.

11. francis 4 prez

hey, the "curse" gets y'all attention. you should be happy for it. it's why my stros can't buy a primetime game in the nlcs. embrace it. i know some columnist only started the whole idea like 18 years ago before some book like 14 years ago, but that's damn near a whole lifetime in sports terms so it is what it is.

and like keeley said, you shouldn't get so defensive. hell, i didn't even diss the red sox. i said i like them. i just want them to lose for reasons beyond that.

12. francis 4 prez

lol.

13. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Yes pancakes are always on my agenda.

Look at this - 11 posts, and I am already getting a posse. Wait til I get to 20.