1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 World Champion Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets lost first playoff game in their b2b bid. While winning at all costs is stupid as it will lead to more losses in the long run, Champions typically have better seeds than non-Champions.

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Comparing "just getting into" the NBA playoffs and "just getting into" the MLB playoffs doesn't really work. There's no winner-takes-all elimination Wild Card game in the NBA. Winning the division and being guaranteed more than one game in the playoffs is HUGE. That doesn't mean that we should be overreacting to a 10-7 start, but winning the division is extremely important. So yes, while the games in April shouldn't be used to judge the likely outcome of this year's team, they absolutely do matter.

Also, not a single MLB team would welcome the wild card game instead of winning the division. So don't act like this team doesn't "have the heart of a champion" if they'd rather win the division. The Wild card game is an absolute crap shoot.

Rockets FTW and jim1961 like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You you really think that when you must think game 7 in Dodger stadium was a crap shoot too?

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Yes, game 7 was absolutely unpredictable going into it. It became more predictable as the game went on due to the quick 5-1 lead we jumped out to. But if that game had stayed within a run or two then it would have been extremely unpredictable. If you honestly think that there's no downside to being in the wild card game compared to winning the division then I don't know what to tell you.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

LOL it's all about probability but I guess you can't see the downside to playing in a play in game as opposed to a 5 game series? My argument has nothing to do with being a fair weathered fan in the sense that "Champions just need to get in to win".

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'm a bit frustrated but think this is something that I asked for. I was praying that the Astros find a way to win Game 5 against the Dodgers and ultimately the series and would be okay with the consequences next season. Winning a World Series is 100% worth it, but man am I being tested early. Baseball gods, you are good.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

A little OT: So is CJ having some fight against Bregman?

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bregman is probably gonna have one hell of a career, and he was a big part of us winning our first chip.

But objectively speaking, he often comes across like a real douche. I kind of feel the same way about LMJ.

Hank McDowell and texans1095 like this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm fairly certain that any Game 7 is the definition of crap shoot. That's the whole point, is it not?

texans1095 likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Crap shoot entails luck. I don’t think the Astros were lucky, I think they’re a great team and better than the Dodgers.

That’s why I say wake me up in June because no matter what this team is talented enough to win 40 games in a row if they need to.

11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Then maybe crap shoot isn't the best word (although in any baseball game there is always a certain amount of luck). Let's just call it unpredictable. The point is that one wild card game is so much more unpredictable than a 5 game series. Put it this way, are you more confident saying that the Astros will 100% win tonight or are you more confident saying that they'll win 3 of their next 5?

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well, I think that's just arguing semantics then. I think you'd agree that's there's far more unpredictability and variance in one game than in a series. The implication of a Game 7 is that both teams are evenly matched, which eliminates luck from the equation ONLY in terms of deserving to be there. Of course luck plays a tremendous part in the game itself. Look at Game 7 of the World Series. If the Dodgers don't misplay that routine ground ball which allows a run to come in early in the game, perhaps the entire complexion of the game changes. Now, I think you'd agree that the Dodgers aren't ALWAYS going to misplay that......it was a matter of error and luck that created that opportunity for the Astros.

texans1095 likes this.
  13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

For the sake of some encouraging news about an otherwise not encouraging offensive stretch, here's some BABIP numbers for our struggling hitters...

George Springer:
    Career High BABIP: .342 (2015)
    Relative Career Avg. BABIP: ~.305
    2018 BABIP: .234

Alex Bregman:
    Career High BABIP: .317 (2016)
    Relative Career Avg. BABIP: ~.315
    2018 BABIP: .232

Marwin Gonzalez
    Career High BABIP: .343 (2017)
    Relative Career Avg. BABIP: ~.300
    2018 BABIP: .200

Correa, Gattis, and Altuve's BABIPs are right around where their career averages have been. Corre and Gattis' issues have been their strikeout percentage compared to where they've been in the past. Jose's issue is that he's just not hitting for much power right now. However, last season he didn't start out hitting for much power and he turned out just fine (I believe it took him at least a few weeks to really get going).

Anyways, what I take away from these BABIP numbers is that Springer, Bregman and Marwin all should start seeing their BABIPs rise to their career mean and, as a result, our offense should become much more productive. Is it possible that 2018 turns out to be a career low BABIP for one, two or even all three of them? Sure. However, there's just now way all three of their BABIPs are going to stay this low the rest of the way. Even if all three ended up around .290 (lower than each career average) that would be a significant improvement for the overall offensive numbers (in terms of where they are right now).

Houstunna, everyday eddie and pw1993 like this.
  14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It's irritating. The same confidence that breeds professional sports players and is a big part of what gets them there, can simultaneously (sometimes) manifest itself as a personality that is super douchey (to me). But how can I be annoyed at the thing that was so much a part of creating their greatness, which I appreciate for what it is (and even moreso when it helps a team I cheer for)?

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

When he was hitting huge HRs off Chris Sale in the ALDS, making awesome defensive plays in the ALCS, and getting a walk off hit in the world series nobody cared about his annoying douchey attitude.

When Bregman is hitting .212 with a .619 OPS and the Astros can't score any runs he's a punk.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I absolutely thought that then...and I absolutely think that now. One game in MLB is a crapshoot. The worst teams beat the best teams in one game with regularity.

texans1095 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

You're not the hero we need, or the hero we want, or...really any kind of hero at all. Now, Max, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about Max that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

But sometimes there's a man. And he's the man for his time and place. And I'm talking 'bout the @MadMax here. I won't say a hero, 'cause what's a hero?

Lost my train of thought there, but....

MadMax likes this.
  18. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

haha CJ is a b****.

19. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Look I’m as unhappy with the recent skid as anyone but this team is still loaded and just going through a slump. They’re still at a 95 win pace despite the slump. The bats will come alive and the team will reel off s bunch of wins. Then Tucker will be up in June and this team will dominate. There is absolutely no reason to panic.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agree. I'm starting to think that the WS hangover is actually a thing. It seems like every series leading up to the Rangers over the weekend had "something" to help pump some adrenaline...Opening Day weekend in Arlington. Home opener, first games since the WS win, and all the festivities to celebrate. Every game in that homestand had something...trophies, rings, pennants. Then the Tundra series in MN...they've just been flat ever since.

They'll snap out of it. I just wish they'd hurry up!

SooneRockStro likes this.