1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't a jab and it wasn't sarcasm. I was pointing out that the lack of true holes on the team is leading some to be hyper critical at the few spots that are less than stellar. The only way they could have grabbed a starting offensive tackle is if it was their first round pick. We can go round and round with that argument as to if Cam Robinson would be a better pick than Watson, but once that was done, it was over.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You rock on with ya bad self and those crazy Texans colored goggles. Pretty sure what I'm saying isn't hyper critical or outlandish or even really wrong, even though it's just an opinion. Good friggin grief.

Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I do think Bobby has a real blind spot for xsf for some reason. Xsf has been bad. Yes, he has moments of real strength in the run game, but unfortunately having dominant stretches for one part of your job isn't good enoug. He's not average, not less than stellar, not ok, etc. he's bad. His pass blocking deficiencies also hurts the rest of the line because someone has to help him on every play which leaves someone else consistently on an island.

There's also no telling how mancz will play at guard. You can't assume he will be good as a guard just because he was a good center. Demands are totally different.

Either way, the rg spot has to be better this year. If xsf is playing lg, it means the center is normally helping on his man in pass pro which leaves the rg on a total island with a turnstile at tackle next to him. I have more faith that healthy Allen can get back to competency and that mancz can be competent at guard than I do in xsf taking a leap.

I can't wait to hear John Harris make the "remember when they made xsf play multiple positions for like two weeks in camp his rookie year? He's still recovering!" excuse.

Dankstronaut and Mr. Clutch like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have already read "Jeff Allen played poorly because it was his first time on the right side"

5. justtxyank

There may be some truth to that I don't know. Like I said, I have more faith the some combination of issues led to allens down year than I have in this idea that xsf is taking steps forward. He was outplayed by aboushi

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not denying that he's been bad, but we said the same things about Derek Newton early in his career too. I'm just not counting the kid out because he's shown some flashes that suggest he could put it all together at some point. If Allen beats him out, I'm perfectly fine with that too.

7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

A good Texas helps other Big 12 teams as far recruiting goes.

8. justtxyank

Meh...

First of all they have fewer schools.

Secondly, a handful of schools just run schemes that are designed to win with under recruited players, which is great for them but means that a lot of those kids aren't NFL prospects.

In general the big 12 just isn't as good of a conference as they used to be. It can get back there of course especially if Texas gets squared away, but that won't overcome those two issues.

9. justtxyank

Both Cunningham and foreman have stress fractures good grief

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Foot injuries are no big deal.

-Houston fan who watched Yao Ming

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

It also took a while for Duane Brown to develop.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Sports Science had Watson's max velocity at 53.5 mph. And that velocity can be improved through mechanical fixes as well as other tactics as shown by Matt Ryan and Brady.

13. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Sizing-up-Texans-linebacker-Zach-Cunningham-11108019.php

A quick-hit look at Texans second-round inside linebacker Zach Cunningham:

Position: Inside linebacker

College: Vanderbilt
    Height/weight: 6-3, 234

Strengths

Rangy, aggressive and instinctive All-American and All-Southeastern Conference linebacker. Extremely productive with 295 tackles, 39 1/2 for losses, six sacks, seven forced fumbles, seven fumble recoveries. Athletic with 4.67 speed in the 40-yard dash and 35-inch vertical leap. Classic run-and-chase weakside linebacker accustomed to playing off the football.

Weaknesses

Needs to upgrade upper body strength, bench pressing 225 pounds just 15 times. Acknowledged he missed far too many tackles. Lean build, especially in his lower body with skinny legs and can do a better job of fighting through blocks and generating more power and leverage to grapple at the point of attack.

Outlook

Extremely active inside linebacker type could be groomed as a future starter behind veteran Brian Cushing where he would work in tandem with second-team All-Pro inside linebacker Benardrick McKinney.

A quick-hit look at Texans third-round running back D'Onta Foreman:

Position: Running back

College: Texas
    Height/weight: 6-0/233

Strengths

An underclassman who excelled for the Longhorns in his one season as a starter, carrying 323 times for 2,028 yards (6.3-yard average) and 15 touchdowns. A workhorse who was unable to participate in drills at the combine because doctors detected a slight stress fracture in his foot. He ran a 4.45 40-yard dash at his pro day. A tremendous work ethic and a team leader, a high-character guy.

Weaknesses

Started only one season for the Longhorns and got a lot of work. He needs to improve as a blocker, especially at picking up blitzes. He's worked hard to improve his receiving. He sometimes tends to try to run over defenders rather than around him.

Outlook

In Bill O'Brien's three seasons, only Seattle has run the ball more than the Texans. He'll fit in nicely and give the backfield some power between the tackles. Will join a logjam that includes Lamar Miller, Alfred Blue, Akeem Hunt, Tyler Ervin and Kenny Hilliard.

14. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pffs-2017-nfl-draft-recap-for-all-32-teams/

Day 1: The Texans made the move to get their quarterback of the future in Watson who had an excellent career at Clemson, finishing with the nation’s No. 2 overall grade at 91.2 in 2016. He does a nice job of understanding defenses before the snap and he can make all of the necessary throws, but the questions arise when it comes to Watson’s ability to work through multiple reads while maneuvering the pocket under pressure. Even though he’s not a perfect prospect, Watson does a great job of bouncing back from mistakes and that should do him well at the next level.

Day 2: Cunningham flies to the ball in the run game and his 56 run stops led all Power-5 linebackers in 2016. He has the range to be an impact player in coverage as well, with only his tackling being a major question mark after missing 34 tackles over the last two seasons. Foreman adds talent to the Houston backfield after he broke out in 2016 to rush for 2,016 yards and 15 touchdowns. He moves well for a big back, forcing 64 missed tackles on 323 attempts last season and his work in Texas’ scheme should translate nicely to what Houston likes to do with their run game.

Day 3: Watkins progressed nicely at Clemson and he finished 17th among interior defensive linemen with an 84.8 pass-rush grade last season (12 sacks, four QB hits, 23 hurries on 432 rushes). Decoud held his own against good competition in the Pac-12 last year, and his 82.6 coverage grade ranked 43rd in the nation. He used his long frame to break up nine passes, good for 16th in the nation.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I haven't seen anything on Cunningham's stress fracture. I did a quick google search. Do you have a link?

16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Yeah, I can't find anything about Cunningham and a stress fracture either.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

More Lance Z on 790:

"Arizona was never going to take Deshaun Watson, they were always going to take Hassan Riddick... they liked Mahomes, but not Watson."

"This wasn't any kind of smokescreen by the Texans, I had it from 3 different places -- very reliable places -- that the Texans were not going QB in the first, they were on offensive line with a fallback at linebacker. Multiple strong sources had this."

"I think something changed... and I'm sure it happened yesterday... I don't know if this is where an owner steps in and said "this is what I want to happen"... but this was a very aggressive move... and a change."

"If you're going to draft a QB from this group, Deshaun Watson isn't going to get you fired. He's got leadership skills and will work to be good. If he fails it's because he's just not good enough."

"The question becomes, how long does it take to get his feet under him, and it could be a while. We had David Carr in studio Rick after the pick and he emphasized, you absolutely have to sit the guy for a year. Bucky Brooks said, "What? You can't play Tom Savage!", and Carr said you have to sit him for a year."

"And I'm record with others saying that Bill O'Brien will not be here after this year."

"Andy Reid coached Brett Favre and he saw something in Mahomes that he said he absolutely had to have."

"There's a lot to be excited about with Deshaun Watson. I'm not happy at all that they've given up their 2018 draft, but that's just me."

"The chips are all pushed into the middle of the table on Rick Smith's job on this and after the Brock Osweiler thing."

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree that's likely given that BOB doesn't bring anything of value to the team. They might as well give the head coaching job to RAC and just bring in someone who can actually coach offense similar to how RAC was brought in to run the defense.

19. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

It seems like most of the players play hard for him and respect him. I kinda doubt he moves on after this year unless they have a tough season. Most indications are he was pretty involved in the Watson pick. I'd rather see Vrabel or someone else other than Crennel if O'Brien ends up leaving though. Crennel is up there in age and wasn't very succesful as the head guy in Cleveland or KC.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

My opinion, not facts. This had less to do with Arizona and more to do with the deal they had in place with Cleveland. Just because Arizona wasn't going to take him doesn't mean any other team wasn't.

I'm really getting tired of these coming out seemingly every week. The Texans have become filled with so much drama. I can't stand it. This is what we expect out of Buffalo, New York, or Indianapolis. Not here.