1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 25, 2017.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Confirms Mahomes will be available after 15

2. Joshua0312

Joshua0312 Member

Texans will not go QB in rd 1. This is from someone who would have a pretty good idea in the building. They are going to let the chips fall all the way to 25 and possibly trade back if there is an opportunity. Look for either a tackle or secondary guy(Obi, Lamp, Robinson). Look for Kaaya or Webb in rds 2 or 3. If neither of them are the pick then they will be in contact with Cutler(actually already have, wink wink).

3. Marteen

Marteen Member

There's gonna be A LOT of people disappointed and raging by this time tomorrow. They really think the Texans will pick a QB. They could, but I just don't see it with how they've drafted in the past when it comes to the first round. I'll have my fries ready for the salt, can't wait.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Based on what he's hearing qb wise

texans1095 likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think the Browns take Webb in the 2nd if they can't get Mitch

texans1095 likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think that will happen although getting a QB would obviously be more exciting than a OL

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

More sleepers:

Ryan Switzer
    Corn Elder
    Jeremy Mcnichols

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm keeping an open mind by believing no QB in the first, but you have to see why people would be skeptical of you.

Some random dude on a basketball forum with 3 posts versus countless people that do this for a living claiming to have good reason to think they go QB.

That being said, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I'll embrace whoever we draft with open arms. Can't wait.

Also, I'd be plenty fine with Cutler. I'd still want Savage to get his shot, but Cutler would make a fine injury alternative. It's just that I want to end the "which QB should we draft this year" thing.

Plowman likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This would actually be the smartest thing to do (not Cutler, the draft strategy)

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Most of our 1st rounders since the dreadful Amobi Okoye abomination have been pro-bowlers at least one year sans Kareem Jackson. Of course you keep shooting for that success given their track record. But from what I can recall we haven't really moved up much to draft someone higher than their projection (Will Fuller may have been the only move up and that was a couple spots in front of Washington in the last draft).

I would keep setting my target for pro-bowl caliber players with potential especially if we're moving up to snag someone not just 5th year option pick-ups. ESPECIALLY (even more) if we move up for a QB.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know we have other needs, but folks will look back and see Dalvin Cook as one of the biggest steals in this draft. Somebody's going to get a perennial All Pro RB...

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/27/...conley-albert-breer?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

1. Where and when will the QBs go?
    OK, so this is what everyone wants to know, and this is probably the hardest position to predict. Some questions have to be answered. First, will the Jaguars take Deshaun Watson? The closer we get to draft day, the stronger the whispers have become Tom Coughlin loves Watson, and that he really could take him over Leonard Fournette, which would mean the end of Blake Bortles is near.

Second, will the Browns land Mitch Trubisky? EVP Sashi Brown knows where he’s going, but my bet is the compromise will be taking Myles Garrett first and being aggressive with 12 to go get Trubisky.

Third, will the Chargers take a quarterback at 7? Will the Bills take one at 10? The former has been coy about its QB interest; the latter has been outward.

Fourth, does Arizona pull the trigger on Patrick Mahomes at 13? Word is, Bruce Arians gave him high marks, but the call here is GM Steve Keim’s, and Arians may be retired in a year or two.

And then later, you have Houston, who, I’m told, was impressed with Watson; and the teams with older QBs (Kansas City, Giants, Pittsburgh) that could be suitors for either Mahomes or Davis Webb, both considered raw prospects whom would benefit from a situation where their team is under no pressure to play them. There’s a scenario where three go in the first 15 picks. There’s another where one or two go that high, and then there’s a run at the end of the first round. Should be entertaining to watch.

25. Texans: Alabama OT Cam Robinson. I believe they’ll make an effort to go up and get Watson, and consider Mahomes before settling on a right tackle.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Couple of things:
    1. Almost no matter what, I will not be mad at who they pick tonight... say what you will about 2-4, Rick has KILLED it at first round drafts for the past 9 years.
    2. I am scared Browns, Niners, and Bears will pick the QB we want. Remember when everyone said this was a weak QB class, I don't see any of the teams with an aging QB wasting a FIRST ROUND pick on a QB for a back up when they can just wait until next year for a better class.Or maybe they grab one of the 2-4 round guys.
    3. Worst case, Browns, Niners, Bears pick Trub, Mahome, Watson... And if that happens, we pick the best Olineman available or Watt and be fine with it (see point number 1).

14. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Here are my top hopeful choices at number 25
    1. Watson
    2. Mahomes
    3. Cam Robinson
    4. Peppers

15. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

My top 4 options are

1. Watson
    2. Kizer
    3. Cam Robinson
    4. Mahomes

Wattafan likes this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

I would be very ok with an OL in the 1st. Build the line

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to see us take Cam.

And, I'm thinking Watson will last into the second, where I hope we trade up and nab him.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hack Canfora has them trading up to 11 for Mahomes.

TRADE: 11. Houston Texans (from New Orleans)
    Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech. Houston can't afford to just sit back and hope a quarterback gets to them with the 25th pick. They don't have that luxury after the abomination that was The Brock Lobster experiment. And they need to jump the Cards to get their pick of the remaining passers. I'm playing a hunch and going Mahomes here, but it could easily be Watson.​

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Teams that could take a QB tonight:

1 Cleveland Browns -
    2 San Francisco 49ers -
    3 Chicago Bears -
    4 Jacksonville Jaguars -
    5 Tennessee Titans
    6 New York Jets -
    7 Los Angeles Chargers -
    8 Carolina Panthers -
    9 Cincinnati Bengals -
    10 Buffalo Bills -
    11 New Orleans Saints -
    12 Cleveland Browns
    13 Arizona Cardinals -
    14 Philadelphia Eagles
    15 Indianapolis Colts -
    16 Baltimore Ravens -
    17 Washington -
    18 Tennessee Titans -
    19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers -
    20 Denver Broncos -
    21 Detroit Lions -
    22 Miami Dolphins -
    23 New York Giants -
    24 Oakland Raiders -
    25 Houston Texans -
    26 Seattle Seahawks -
    27 Kansas City Chiefs -
    28 Dallas Cowboys -
    29 Green Bay Packers -
    30 Pittsburgh Steelers -
    31 Atlanta Falcons -
    32 New Orleans Saints

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Which site doesn't use the word Redskins? ESPN?