1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2013 NBA Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KingCheetah, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

they need to go back to the old format where u can only miss one dunk max in both attempts combined

2. nemac

nemac Member

Anyone notice Shaq tell Kenny to go and hype these dunks up and get the crowd excited like he did with the Griffin jumping on the car dunk? Was kinda snarky and Kenny's like well these aren't BG dunks. Ugh! Another disappointing contest. Please no more props! Whether it's a teammate lobbing it or a painting of the guy dunking, it doesn't change the dunk, the dunk was pretty much the same! We need to see more originality in terms of the dunk not the prop, showing power/hops/bit of flair with the element of surprise, ie getting it right the first time so crowd doesn't get bored, is more important than degree of difficulty.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think they should deduct one point from the final score for every missed dunk attempt.

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Or if you miss once, you only have one more chance.

Ross getting a 50 on that one dunk was lame.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>At least lil @<a href="https://twitter.com/cp3">cp3</a> and baby Mamba can play together NBA can't veto this one Ha! <a href="http://t.co/pJAjr2wJ" title="http://twitter.com/kobebryant/status/302969480521326592/photo/1">twitter.com/kobebryant/sta…</a></p>&mdash; Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) <a href="https://twitter.com/kobebryant/status/302969480521326592">February 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That was one of the worst all star Saturdays ever. And they've been really bad lately so that's saying something.

The dunk contest has been terrible since Jason Richardson won it. That was the last good contest.

The skills challenge is boring as hell.

The 3 pt shoot out was actually pretty good. Kyrie was on fire. I was entertained.

And the east vs west concept ruined a few events.

Overall just bad.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

:)
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Royce White has had more successful flights than this dunk contest.</p>&mdash; Myles Brown (@mdotbrown) <a href="https://twitter.com/mdotbrown/status/302991085347676160">February 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Jordan and Nique dunks were pretty awesome.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

green gave this away

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For a very long time, all-star Saturdays have meant a lot more to me than the game on Sunday (which I can barely bring myself to watch).

After tonight, the only thing about the whole weekend worth watching was the 3-point contest. Whoever came up with the contrived East vs. West concept for the events today should be fired. I can't decide if it was the primary reason Saturday was such a complete disaster. Even if not, it was a strong contributing factor.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is that the security dude from Jimmy Kimmel Live? And why is he cuddling with KG? Looks like he was about to go in for the kiss at the end.

13. Omer

Omer Member

Green robbed himself of this contest. His first dunk was spectacular. If he didn't try that dumb double dunk and did some others he could've easily won it.

14. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Thought this contest was gonna be legit after Gerald Green's dunk. Guess I was wrong. Why don't stars want to participate in the dunk contest? Im puzzled.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

worst winning oerformance ever and worst dunk contest ever

Also, I though the Jazz guy won by a landslide. Ross was pretty meh all night. Nothing spectacular, just ok dunks

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Too much props going on nowadays. Why can't the players just do a nice powerful yet finesse dunk instead of trying all these stupid props. Kenneth and Bledsoe did well in their 2nd dunk when they just went up and threw it down. But overall, the NBA dunk contest need to cut back on the props and just go up and dunk it like how Jordan, Wilkins and VC did it back in the day..

17. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

While volunteering at jam session, I came across another volunteer that was a mavs fan. He showed me a picture of James White and said he was going to win. I then said nah T. Ross is gonna win. Mavs fan laughed at me left, and went up to some random guy and said "people are sleeping on James White man." Well **** you mavs fan, I was right. Stupid mavs fan.

18. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

James "Fail" White

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Seriously, I had fun watching this. Some very nice dunks, especially Green & Ross's first , Faried's 2nd and the first of Ross in the finals. James White should've kept his big mouth shut, supposedly having several dunks nobody's ever seen before...it was overhyped, but some very powerful stuff. Evans was nice too. I was glad there weren't that many props, lights out, blindfolds and all that stuff. It was not a great contest, but not bad either.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think there are two main problems:

1. Too many attempts. You get excited when someone makes something real creative on the first try - after that you know what he is trying. A second try is alright, but if he has to try it 5 times, the excitement is gone.

2. No stars. I guess most casual viewers didn`t know half the guys that were competing. If it would be LeBron going against Griffin, Dwight and Westbrook there would be a lot more excitement, because there would be something like pride and personal feuds in it.

The Jordan / Dominique era was special, because those two were right at each others throats each year. Plus they had a certain style to their dunks (something last seen when Vince Carter won) - not necessarily the most difficult dunks in the world, but they just looked fluid and cool. Today`s guys either use props, pay hommage to someone or barely make very difficult dunks - with a few exceptions every year. Right now it is just - look, some cool dunks and a lot of dull moments in between.