1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2009 Washington Wizards Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, Oct 27, 2009.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I know you're not talking to me.. but being in the area, at least I've heard and read a lot over the last few years. Everything I've heard (and saw last year) showed that Young has been good. He improved in the offseason, and I think he's just low in the rotation with a glut of perimeter guys (how do you break in behind Arenas, Stevenson, Foye, Mike Miller, and Butler? All guys who are WAY more proven than Young)

As for Butler, he was solid alongside Arenas the year before Arenas started having the big issues. That was the year that Butler made his final leap forward, and a lot of people were actually crediting Arenas (and of course Butler) for helping him improve. I think they work together just fine

Haven't watched enough this offseason to know about Flip's adjustments

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Actually, the 2006 season they worked well together and Butler had actually reached most of his potential by then anyway. I guess the two years since Butler's improved his ball-handling a little, since he's had the ball in his hands so much more with Arenas gone. His three point shooting has improved quite a bit also, though he's still not great. I've got no indication that Caron would have a problem relinquishing his role as go-to-guy now that Arenas is back. Butler will still try to take his man one-on-one, which he should from time to time, but with Arenas back he should also get more open shots from the outside and more open looks to the basket. A lot of Butler's strength come from dirty work anyway, so having Arenas back doesn't affect any of that. Butler's also been a consistent 45-46% shooter throughout the past 4 seasons, so I'm not too worried about the poor shooting game yesterday.

Yeah, I noticed Nick didn't play at all yesterday. I'm not sure how much time he's going to get, especially since it looks like Stevenson has the edge for minutes right now. Maybe he'll get some more minutes when they need offense off the bench, so he can show something. I've been impressed with his ability to get his own shot, but really that's about all. He's clearly a talented offensive player. However, if they can't find minutes for him they may want to consider trading him for front court help. He's talented and he still has some potential, so it's a waste to keep on the bench all season.

I'd take Boozer, though I'm not sure if he's a perfect fit. They could use more length and athleticism around the basket. Plus, they've never been a post-up team as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure how Boozer would fit in the line-up. He probably would get a lot of open mid-range jumpers, which would be good. He'd also be more of a presence than Jamison inside.

Well, it's kind of harder to say, since Arenas being back pretty much trumps any major coaching changes he might make this season. He has said the offense will basically consist of the ball in Arenas's hands a lot, which really isn't much different than what Eddie Jordan did. However, I think the difference is going to be more about his relationship with the players. Apparently Flip has spent a great deal of time reaching out to the team an especially Arenas on a personal level by calling him a lot, having long conversations, listening to him talk which he loves to do, etc. Here was an article about it.

I felt like the relationship between Jordan and the team was always more cold and formal. I think they're going to respect Flip a lot more and thus are more likely to play the way he wants them to play.

Another reason I like Flip is most of his teams have had pretty good defenses. He's definitely an offensive coach, but compared to Eddie Jordan he looks like Jeff Van Gundy. I actually haven't watched enough to specifically see what defensive adjustments have been made, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I might be going on a ledge here, but if the Wizards stay HEALTHY they are my favorite team to come out of the east.....I mean their strong at every position :D

Gilbert Arenas/ R. Foye
    Mike Miller/ N. Young
    Caron Butler/ D. McGuire
    Antawn Jamison/ F. Oberto/ Blatche
    Brandon Haywood/ J. McGee/ P. Davis

They got so much depth If HEALTHY..... I like them over Celtics , Magic & Cavaliers....just b/c i feel they have the better overall team and they have player to go to at the end of games...so in my opinion my fav. to win the east are in the following order...

Wizards
    Celtics
    Magic
    Cavaliers

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

DCkid, I've never been high on Nick Young. Not sure he has the maturity to be productive over an entire season. But if Randy Foye keeps up the stellar play, who needs Nick Young anyway? I realize it's only one game, but Foye is exactly the type of backup PG the Wizards need if he can provide a steady hand and shoot daggers. Seemed like every game I saw him play in Minny something would go wrong.

I'm gonna watch at least part of the Hawks game to see what happens. I think the Hawks might implode and the Wizards have a decent shot of opening 2-0 on the road.

5. AXG

AXG Member

I actually had Washington making the post-season. I had them in as the 8th seed but they look very good. I may have to move them up

Here are my predictions before the season started:

1. Cleveland
    2. Orlando
    3. Boston
    4. Atlanta
    5. Detroit
    6. Miami
    7. Chicago
    8. Washinton

1. Fakers
    2. San Antonio
    3. Portland
    4. Denver
    5. New Orleans
    6. Dallas
    7. Utah
    8. Houston

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thanks for all the input guys. Washington (like Houston) just isn't in the spotlight and its hard to follow their progress. I like Orlando, I think they are a cut above the rest of the conference but if everything goes right Washington seems like the type of team that could beat anyone. Anyone in the East that is.

7. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

I drafted McGee with my last pick on fantasy...and he plays 42 seconds...time to pick up demar derozan or some other scrub that actually gets playing time

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm happy. :)

I got $100 riding on the Wiz to win more than 41.5 games, so the bet is looking good so far.

The offense doesn't look that much better...it's mostly talent level. You can make many ugly plays look good with shot makers, and the Wizards have talented shot makers this year.

Last night's rotation was

Arenas
    Miller
    Butler
    Oberto
    Haywood

Bench: Foye, Blatche, Stevensen and some McGuire

Stevensen was active but offensively, looked horrible like last year. He might be out of the rotation if he continues that trend. I too wonder how Jamison will fit in. JaVale won't play imo unless Blatche goes down or plays bad.

Areas where Wizards have visibly improved so far:
    shot making talent
    defensive activeness
    rebounding
    smart passing and cutting

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Wizards are my second favorite team.

Love Gilbert :)

No homo.

10. 1individual

1individual Member

Celtics and Wizards can be the top 2 teams in the East if Cleveland continues to play like the way they are.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

When the hell are they going to free McGee?

Drafted him last round in my fantasy draft because this kid has Ty Thomas fantasy potential (the good Ty Thomas, that is)

12. DCkid

Andray Blatche! Familiarize yourself. It's early, but he's averaging 21ppg on 72% shooting. Looks like it could be a breakout year for him. It's his fourth year in the league at just 23yo (drafted out of high school by the wiz). Had 31 points last night on 15-18 shooting.

Arenas still looks strong, scoring 32 last night.

Also, heads up for the Wiz-Cavs game on Tuesday. There's a lot of bad blood between these two teams after three playoff meetings in a row. Should be a good one.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mike Miller is like leading the charge with literally 1 arm right now. He has to be faking. Good actor though.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Flip Saunders should have taken the ball out of Wade's hands. Letting him iso on Stevenson was dumb.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

D-Wade dropped 40 pts.

16. DCkid

Arenas settles for jacked-up threes too much. I was hoping maybe Flip would put an end to this or Gilbert would just realize he needs to be more efficient. Doesn't look like it's happened yet.

When he's on the bench the offense looks better and gets easier buckets.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

True, but I think he's just trying to find his shot. On the positive side, Gilbert was lightening fast driving to the basket. Looks like he's recovered all of his speed.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Another success for Tim Grover.

Hopefully McGrady isn't the exception.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Anything is possible but it took Gilbert a while. I doubt McGrady does a lot this season.

20. DCkid

Man, so not the good start I was expecting or hoping for, but it looks like they may be on the right track after winning 4 of the last 5, and it has nothing to do with Arenas. He's still jacking up too many shots and getting too many turnovers.

Reasons for optimisim:
    • Jamison is back and stronger than ever: 22PPG, 51%FG, 8RB
    • Butler appears to be out of his funk after playing well the past three games. The guy has been a model of consistency, so he was bound to get over the slump.
    • Haywood has been a beast thus far. Leading the league in Offensive Rebounds.
    • They signed Early Boykins and he has been a pleasant surprise. They've been giving him about 20 minutes per game and Saunders is even leaving him on the floor to close games with Arenas on the bench. Offense just seems to run smoother with him on the floor. Averaging 10P, 4A in 20 mins.
    • Foye will come around. He started off the season awesome, went down with an ankle injury, and hasn't gotten back to full strength. There's no reason he shouldn't get back to how he was playing pre-injury.
    • Miller should be back in about 2-3 weeks and has been solid all around.

The funny thing is their record is 7-10 and they're still tied for the 8th playoff spot. Despite some improvements, it's still the Leastern Conference.