1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer shows 'great restraint' not shooting charging suspect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the officer cared about doing his job and saving lives more than anything else, and trusted his instincts which were right.

The idea that everyone should be judged as guilty first without trial is anti-thesis to our justice system.

A cop who shoots someone because "he might have had a gun" or was running away, or for holding a screwdriver isn't doing their job.

To say a cop should take zero risk is ridiculous. It's a dangerous job. Risk is there. But the other person's life matters, not just the cops. And to kill someone just because you "suspect" they may be dangerous isn't right.

This is where the racial bias comes in to play. It's a fact that most people have a bias against black people and are more likely to assume they are dangerous. It's endemic to our society. People can deny this all they want, but the science is compelling. And to this that it doesn't translate into the way cops behave towards minorities is ridiculous.

And it keeps happening over and over. Police overall treat black suspects differently than other races. And overall the police are excessively brutal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-...s-unexplained-custody-death/story?id=30443983

2. Remii

Remii Member

Technology is a wonderful thing... If you can find clutchfans on the internet then your finger tips are just a search engine away from all kinds of information. But if you believe Ferguson is the only place where police are taking advantage like that... You're perfectly welcome to your opinion.

And I shouldn't paint cops with a broad brush as you said. I'm sure they all don't eat donuts.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

So for all your claims that these events are common, you can only name two. Just like I figured.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

You know which group in America commits the most violent crimes?

Maybe you should do something about the source instead of blaming one bad cop out of a thousand good ones.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

These events tend to happen without federal investigations. It's the reason so many people are pissed about the current state of policing in this country or maybe you haven't noticed.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Yep, all cops are perfect. Even the HPD officers that were stealing money from tax payers by lying about over time. But since I'm not posting a link... You can assume I'm making that up too.

Do you know which group in America that discriminates, likes to invade countries and commit mass murder, assassinates president and civil leaders, and also has a high suicide rate?

But at least you admit there's at least one bad cop. Maybe they should fire him since that one cop is giving the police department a bad name.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What's the source of violent crime in America?

Is one bad cop out of a thousand a figure out of thin air or do you know many thousands of police personally?

8. dback816

dback816 Member

Oh, now we moving onto foreign affairs huh? Why don't you take care of stuff right at your doorstep first and do something about some communities that just seem to commit more crimes and do worse in school at every income level?

9. Falcons Talon

My point to Remii, who paints all LE departments as corrupt, is that if this is so commonplace and frequently occurring, where is the pletehora of information about these things? Surely, all these events would make national attention, or at least garner some type of attention. Not just from people that claim this happens because they heard it somewhere and have a personal beef with authority.

I'll easily admit that there are situations out there that have gotten out of hand...namely many of the shootings, but to think that these are anything more that isolated incidents, and paint all LE as corrupt is completely wrong. What we have here is a case of the squeeky wheel gets the grease, while the silent majority sits back and really has nothing to say because they haven't experienced this, probably because they have not done anything to bring the law down on them.

In my 44 years of life, I've been stopped by police...mostly for speeding violations, but I have been stopped for fitting the description of someone being searched for. I had no problems with the police. Weapons drawn surrounding my car. Guess what....I did nothing to resist, aggravate, or set them off. I carry my Glock concealed, and that's never been a problem when I get stopped. The only friend of mine that could possibly complain, if he could, would be my friend that robbed a jewelry store, pointed his gun at police, and was shot dead for it.

If you ask me, many of these guys that resist, aggravate, escalate, are Darwin award candidates. They escalate the situation and all the anti's come out in droves when something is done about it. Case in point...Remii

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm going to state this again. It seems like your ilk keeps on ignoring this. If a municipality relies on more than 50% of it's revenue on fines from infractions which many municipalities do, wouldn't there be a conflict of interest where the municipality WANTS it's citizens to break the law.

11. Falcons Talon

I can't imagine any municipality WANTING its citizens to break the law. If I recall correctly, citizens can choose community service or jail time as a punishment for misdemeanors. Paying the fines comes as a choice to the lawbreaker. Besides, the punishment should hit the lawbreaker where it hurts, and most of the time, that is the pocket.

12. Remii

Remii Member

White folks commit the most crimes dude... And interesting you bring this up in a thread were a dude committed double homicide and the cop didn't fear for his life... At least not enough to kill him.

1st off... I live outside of Houston in the sticks. Out here the laws are busy chasing these white folks running amuck committing property damage and making meth and pulling over practically every Hispanic they see. But I do a lot of volunteer work building homes and doing home repair work for low-income families (regardless of their color)... Now, what are you doing about white folks who commit financial and welfare fraud who fuxk it up for all of the tax paying citizens...???

Also, what does any of that have to do with what I was saying :confused:

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you don't see a conflict of interest where a municipality relying on over 50% of their revenue from fines from infractions? All you did is state no it isn't a conflict of interest. Explain why it isn't, because to me, it's an obvious conflict of interest.

14. Falcons Talon

Before I delve in any further, can you tell me where you get the 50% revenue numbers? Is that in general throughout the country, a state, a county, a city, a municipality?

I don't think any municipality "relies" on revenue from fines to stay afloat. The city charter should provide the means for distributing the funds to run the town. A fine is a penalty paid for breaking the law. There is no conflict of interest. They are separate entities. Where would you suggest the fine money go to?

#74 Falcons Talon, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I know which group is arrested more...

According to research I am currently in the middle of conducting, higher percentages of African-Americans in a state are correlated with lower violent crime rates.

It was an interesting finding in a tangentially related project, but an interesting finding nonetheless.

16. Falcons Talon

Some info on criminal fines. Still looking for traffic fines.
    For Criminal Fines.
    http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/what-are-criminal-fines.html

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I love when data is manipulated to give odd findings that have nothing to do with reality. Like how you can make the case that some tiny town in the middle of nowhere is the most dangerous city in the US because they have a higher crime rate per capita than major cities because when you have a population of 50 it doesn't take much to get a really twisted number.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that most LE are good people who follow the rules. The vast majority of encounters between the public and LE generally go off without the LEO abusing them. That said I don't think LE behaving badly is as rare as you think.

If we consider statistical sampling the fact that at least once a week we have a report and/or vid of LE abusing their power then it's likely there are far more incidences that don't get reported.

Given the amount of power that LE has we need to consider these incidences seriously rather than just brush them off as aberrations. Doing so is important for keeping the trust of the public.

19. Falcons Talon

But compare that to the number of actual interactions in the entire county. Not by city, not the county, not the state, the entire county. I did a quick google search and one source says there are 35000 municipalities in the country. Imagining how many interactions occur on a daily basis and even though averaging one per week is absolutely one too many per week, that's still a pretty low number of incidents. Of course I will concede that some of these events go unreported, but there's no way to justify painting all LE as bad like some of these CF'ers do.

I agree with that statement completely. When I state they are isolated incidents, I do so to try to show that there is no need for such hatred of LE. Some cf'ers seem to think that practically all LE is corrupt, and all are to be distrusted

Each and every one of these isolated incidents should be investigated thoroughly with complete transparency, and those that break the law should be disciplined accordingly.

#79 Falcons Talon, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015