1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Jan 23, 2024.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Going into next season the Texans have 9 o-linemen under contract (see below). There seems to be some disagreement on the board about the state of the Oline so, rather than let that discussion be lost amongst the general offseason threads, I figured a thread devoted to that position group seemed appropriate. Might not be a bad idea to have an oline, skill position, front and secondary threads for discussion of each prior to free agency and the draft. Anyway:

OT: Tunsil, Howard and something called a Killian Zierer
    IOL: Mason, Scruggs, Patterson, Broeker, Kenyon Green, and Kendrick Green

Thoughts: The Texans will need to bring in another OT or two. I would also like to try and find an improvement at LG as well. Even if Howard comes back healthy and able to play to his previous level there is no reason to believe that Zierer is a guy who can actually be counted on. Tunsil and Howard, if healthy, should do their part to keep Stroud clean but they are certainly no road graders. So the IOL needs to be able to do that adequately for the running game to have any hope. I am ok with a rotation of Scruggs and Patterson at C and Mason and Broeker at RG. I am holding out hope, kind of, that Kenyon Green can be a serviceable LG. Kendrick Green is likely depth along the IOL. Wouldnt be opposed to bringing in Dalton Risner from Minnesota with the idea he can either take the snaps at LG or, if not, mentor Kenyon Green and the other young guys in this position group.

My plan, were I Casserio or Ryans, for the oline would be:
    1) Re-sign Josh Jones to be the backup/swing OT
    2) Bring in Dalton Risner to be the LG moving forward
    3) Use one of the 4th rounders to pick a OT prospect to develop (I like Christian Jones from Texas but also Nathan Thomas from Louisiana Lafayette. Both guys profile more as RT if they were to pan out at all.

LT - Tunsil - Jones
    LG - Risner - Kenyon Green
    C - Scruggs - Patterson
    RG - Mason - Broeker
    RT - Howard - Thomas/Jones

astros123 likes this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I thought Kendrick Green was serviceable (when he played). Not sure about as a consistent starter, but this was his best year (according to PFF).

He has the tools to succeed as a zone IOL. I would hope he brings something to the table next year.

Also, his development gives me hope for Kenyon as well.

Plus then we have the Kendrick & Kenyon show. 2 Ken's are KEN-ough ;)

astros123 and red5rocket like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a big if.

Nook and astros123 like this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We have so much money and draft capital invested in this OLine already, might as well invest a lot of threads into it as well…

5. raining threes

Gotta find a RT in the draft or FA,

6. Buck Turgidson

Why can't Howard be the RT?

astros123, vince and red5rocket like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

If we all learned nothing this season, we learned: you can never have enough quality OL depth

DL and Secondary depth too.

Nook, astros123 and Blatz like this.
  8. raining threes

He tore his patellar tendon in his knee. If he makes it back next year, he's unlikely to be the same player he was pre-injury

astros123 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Which knee?

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There's a ton of work to do this off season. And I am incapable of even knowing what players will fit this system and which will not. So I have to trust our team. This is more difficult for those who stuck with the Texans through the last 5 years of disasters. I am fortunate to only have to overcome the Dusty obstinacy of the Astros in order to trust them.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair, but I would rather spend our higher resources on getting the STARTERS at DB/DT/WR/RB taken care of before the DEPTH at OLine.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

A veteran C would bring the unit together.

Nook and astros123 like this.
  13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Patterson did a damn good job before his injury.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He was good for a rookie. Nothing spectacular that should preclude us from improving if possible. Wish he were a better run blocker considering how much inside action we call. Hard to be balanced when the majority of the line cant run block.

astros123 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Depth, I says

16. conquistador#11

Jon Runyan can be had fairly cheaply. He knows what he is doing. He was coached by former 'piss boys' crew member, Matt Lafleur. He could probably win the job outright from any of the guards we have. His dad was in an episode of It's Always Sunny.
    https://wisportsheroics.com/green-bay-packers-offensive-future/

We're overreacting with the line. It's going to take more than 1 or 2 seasons for them to get consistency.

17. raining threes

Then move Scruggs to C and start one of the Green's or Patterson at LG. Fact is Ryans said he really liked the job Patterson was doing at C before he got hurt and I'll trust Ryans judgement over a bunch of keyboard warriors who most have never played a down of football in their lives. Now if you think RT needs to be added to because of Howard's injury then I can certainly get on board with that.

astros123 likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Now Im a keyboard warrior? JFC what happened to this site? Everyone here is spitballing not sure why certain people need to run around looking for validation of their opinion by trashing others.

For your info I played ball at a D1 college in the 90s. Have a nice day.

K9Texan likes this.
  19. raining threes

We all are

My point is that Ryans and Caserio have earned respect and they like Patterson at Center.

I apologize and should have made my point in a different way.

K9Texan and vince like this.
  20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

You can't draft two centers in last year's draft, one of which you traded up for, and then sign a center the following off-season. That would be a disaster and a waste of resources.
    I wouldn't do anything at all with the offensive line. You were down 3.5 starters by the playoffs with Tunsil being the half. He was in and out and hurt all year.
    Receivers and defense.

red5rocket and raining threes like this.