1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offense/Defense NBA Map

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 26, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I posted this earlier in Commodore's thread, but since it pertains to this Offense/Defense thing, I'll link to it here as well.

<hr>

Here's a motion chart I put together for visualizing offense, defense, overall efficiency, pace, and offense/defense orienation of all teams. Includes both data for prior 2 weeks, and also data since beginning of the season.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tr25tnBqTbnu4wjLFiDnm_Q&single=true&gid=1&output=html

Thanks to Commodore for the idea of trying this out.

#21 durvasa, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

I think what he meant was that if you took bobcats good defense and raptors good offense, then you would create a team that is as good as the celtics

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Only if you could play 10 guys at the same time, you'd win every game. :grin:

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is what I meant. If you could do offensive/defensive subs the entire game you would have the Celtics.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I created another motion chart gadget for NBA team seasons from 1974-2009 (all stats taken from the team stats finder at basketball-reference.com). It includes
    • Offensive and Defensive ratings
    • Four Factors (offense and defense)
    • SRS, Win%
    • Pace
    • standardized stats for four factors, ORTG/DRTG, pace
    • stats for league average can also be selected

Here's a snapshot:

[​IMG]

And here's a direct link to the gadget for you those who are interested:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tE8dA5x4kQ5OrYW7ESivyBw&single=true&gid=2&output=html

#25 durvasa, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I know I always want to start an argument with you on stats and what they FULLY encompass but I am damn impressed by this motion chart, durvasa. Damn impressed.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pardon me for asking, but what exactly is it that you do for a living durvasa? Are you a math teacher or some kind of rocket scientist? I know you're one of the stat geeks in this board, but I didn't realize you spend your free time creating stuff like this. I'd probably be surprised if DM hasn't contacted you to be a part of his staff yet, since we all know he reads this board.

I really like the first graph you made, very informative since it shows how teams play with just a glance. I'd give you rep if I could.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That'd be cool if durvasa got onto Morey's staff. We'd have a real insider on Clutchfans. :grin: but then I doubt that he would leak any useful information to us...