1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off-season Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

That's a lot of papa johns commercials.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The acquisition and grooming of an NFL QB is such a mysterious process . Does a QB really make a team ? How for one identify and then nurture above average QB talent and play ? If anyone knew the answers to these questions then they should be in an NFL front office because it does seem that it is the most important position and therefore can elevate your entire team .

However , an offensive line is probably the most important factor in games if you gauge it as a whole unit . The Texans are severely lacking there . The same risk applies due to it being a draft , but in general there is more knowledge and consensus surrounding OL prospects .

The Texans are in a very intriguing position . Clowney and watt could be nightmarishly dominant , but we have always struggled covering TE's . The NFL in general seems to have a lot of trouble with big fast guys with good hands . As others have mentioned we have a good core . Do we pick a QB and take a gamble or do we try and kick the can down the road while improving the shell of the the team ?

Id say our needs in order
    OL
    QB
    ILB
    TE
    S
    RB/WR with speed

If possible I'd like to trade some later picks to try and move up in the draft . It's not the most efficient strategy , and our drafting hasn't exactly been good . That's why we need those higher picks to get the best prospects. A lot in the NFL is fit , screw that I want talent and the coaches can figure out how to implement .

Brooks is our only stellar OL , if possible I'd trade either future picks or sign 1-2 above average linemen in FA or depending on the board draft one in round 1 . XSF has potential , we need a sick line because next year we are gonna continue to roll with journeymen RB's .

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If Marshawn Lynch gets cut, do you bite? I'd do what I could to sign him o a two year deal. Lynch and Akeem Hunt would be a nice thunder and lightning duo.

Lynch, Wentz, and a good young tight end would do amazing things for this team.

To snowconeman, I don't think anyone would agree with you that offensive line is more of a need than quarterback. Look at these quarterbacks in the playoffs, and then remember what the Texans QB situation looked like. It's absolutely pitiful, and no one in his right mind would think o line is a greater need. Of course, I'm counting on is resigning our two starters.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You can't just look at record to justify that opinion . Hey had a middle of the road defense , and in addition to their QB going down , they also lost a top 5 WR for plenty of games . Plus the fact that it happened after training camp and preseason effects how the other QB's were prepared for the first few games . QB is immensely important and as a single guy yeah he's the most crucial . But for him to function properly the OL has to function . It's a team game , and OL is probably the most crucial unit. You win the game in the trenches . Especially when you can scheme to force your opponent to play slow and physical .

6. Two Sandwiches

I played offensive line when I played (although I didn't play after high school), and I totally agree with you. However, that is NOT the Texans biggest weakness. Are we lacking in depth? Yes. Our starters are okay, though. And remember, you get Quessenberry back next year, who will hopefully be better than what we had as backups. By all indications, he was performing well before his diagnosis. Hell, I could even see a scenario where he would supplant Newton. His return could pay huge dividends to our depth.

Quarterback is, without any debate, the biggest need on this team.

Quarterback
    Tight End
    Defensive end
    Running back
    Safety
    Offensive line depth
    Slot receiver

Those are our needs, in order of priority, in my opinion.

7. conquistador#11

we lost foster that was 50% of the offense and had hoyett at qb, no excuses for dallas. Our line is very solid when healthy. It's not like alfred blue was penciled in to be the starter back in May. Now that you know foster is no longer with us, we address the position. no biggie.
    since the miami game and coincidentally around the same time newton was not switching all over the place, we were in the bottom 6 in sacks allowed. which is tremendous, when you consider no hoyer led team should be chucking it up 39 attempts per game.
    Our rushing game also picked up over that same time 130yds per game.

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This weekend taught us that having a qb that can step up and make plays is worth his weight in gold. Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Cam, Wilson, Palmer all stepped up and made big plays at some point in their games. They may not have all won but none were the reason they lost. Unlike the Texans and Hoyer.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

What I saw this weekend was the importance of a YAC receiver. When the play breaks down it is so helpful to have a receiver who can turn a short pass into a long one.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Seems like every receiver on steelers can turn a 10 yard gain into a 50 yd gain

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would like lynch but Texans won't do it. Texas don't make moves like that plus lynch don't seem the kind of player we would sign.

12. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I'm of the mind that the Texans should not reach for a QB in the first round if a worthy one is not available. Worthy to me is Lynch or Goff, Wentz may fall to us and I like his game but I'm not sold on him as a first rounder because of the competition he played against. I would feel much better taking him in the second if he is still available.

I definitely think we should try and get one of the top two RBs either Elliot or Henry in the first and from there start your QB search. I'm good with anybody except Cook, Hackenburg, or Jones. I believe these three guys will either be bust, late bloomers, or clip board holders.

The one under the radar prospect I'm hoping the Texans take a Serious look at is Jacoby Brissett. This guy had a poor showing in his bowl game against Miss. State, but to me I see a future starting NFL QB potential. Especially one having to sit a year or two behind whoever the Texans sign as a veteran FA.

I know here all the talk is about a Billy 'O and Hackenberg reunion or Carson Wentz but I believe that is too obvious and since I think the Texans scouting department sucks and Local Texasn Radio Outlet 610 will only talk about the obvious I looked around in other markets to see what they have said about Brissett as a prospect over this past College football season pertaining to his NFL potential.

To me this kid is ideal as developmental QB of the future: See the links below

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-the-senior-bowl-jacoby-brissett-qb-nc-state/

Philly:
    http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...north-carolina-state-quarterback-eagles-draft

Atlanta:
    http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/1...s-watch-vol-8-jacoby-brissett-scouting-report

San Francisco:
    http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/12...issett-accepts-invitation-to-2016-senior-bowl

Come on Texans think Outside the Box!!!

#152 ballplayer, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  13. Two Sandwiches

I started a thread on Brissett back in October-ish. He has potential. I just don't know if we can afford a guy to sit a year or two. It may not be the best situation for any of these guys to jump right in, though. Maybe sit them six games or so, then let 'em fly.

Edit: Here it is

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

BP,

Nice rundown on Brissett. I think how he does in Senior Bowl practices will be interesting. I'd be find with us drafting 2 QBs, if the value is there when we draft.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I saw his game last year (2014 / His JR Year) against a good Clemson (not as good as this year's obviously) defense. He was GOD AWFUL!!! Bad throws, bad reads, poor pocket awareness, poor ball protection, you name it he did it poorly. One of the worst QB performances I've seen myself live.

Here's every throw/run from that game. I warn you though, it will make your eyes bleed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WfeuR5xuVxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't draft the guy. I know guys develop but this was 2014, his JR year against good competition. How much better could he have gotten since this game?!?! Sorry, thanks but no thanks.

16. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Yeah ipman go through the run down they talk about the good and the bad. It even has a link to the Clemson game in the Philly Column. I'm not going to not pick a kid over a few bad games, just like I'm not going to pick a kid because of a few good games. Look at the body of work, competition, and how he handled adversity as a QB. He has all the tools.

Below are his stats against this years Clemson Defense which you have stated was better than last years Clemson Defense.

2015 Jacoby Brissett against Clemson 24-41, 254 YDS, 3 TD 0 INTs

We all know Jared Goff had a 5 INT game against Utah this year. Would that keep you from drafting him? Not me.

It's all part of the tape. Got to see the good and bad.

#156 ballplayer, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Gotta think that the Texans think the opposite. If the Texans were set on starting a rookie QB and seeing where that lead, Savage would have been your starting QB the last two years.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He probably would have started this season a lot had they not made the foolish decision to put him on IR for a shoulder sprain.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans tried to trade back up in the first round to take Bud Dupree after they had already selected Kevin Johnson.</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688844126612160516">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans tried to trade up for another player in today's playoff games as well. Traded up for Tyler Lockett, Seattle moved up 1 spot ahead.</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/688847886751297536">January 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>