1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of all the teams out there..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by latebloomer19, Jun 5, 2013.

1. gabion

gabion Member

Join me in guys.. i have been rooting houston rockets since the 90's coz all of them is rooting chicago when michael jordan was still active.. saw what dream did to the admiral also.

2. gabion

gabion Member

Join me in guys.. i have been rooting houston rockets since the 90's coz all of them was rooting chicago when michael jordan was still active.. saw what dream did to the admiral also.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Damn that blows.

[​IMG]

4. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

You going to the pre season game in october bro?

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I was a kid when they won the Chips, but I remember the entire city being crazy. All of my neighbors got together for the games and they all still have great memories of it. In those days, I wasn't a basketball fanatic, but I grew to love the sport when I started playing pick-up games with my friends when I was about 16. At that time I was pretty terrible, but I remember somebody telling me I should try and play like Bill Laimbeer. So, I looked up how Bill played and started studying the sport. A bit after that, I started watching Rockets games religiously. That was the year of the streak. That pretty much did it.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Born in Houston, started with the '91 Rockets and followed since. I live in Dallas now and it's taken my hatred for the Mavs and being here in Dallas for me to get on this board and find Rockets community.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Because I'm a YOF initially, and yao only plays for Houston. After yao left I had hard time rooting for any other team, and I know the team so well I can only root for them...Now I'm stuck here going nowhere;)

Another reason is I like stats, and Morey is a pioneer.

Yet another reason is I'm a fan of Lin.

8. coffeelover665

fourth grade. My neighbor and childhood friend's favorite team was the Rockets. I was just starting basketball and it was the first team I really knew and follow. Although I live in Cali, I would watch the Lakers show all the time but sometimes, I would occasionally check on my Rockets. With the emergence of Jeremy Lin and his underdog story, I followed him to the Knicks and boy was I happy he joined the Rockets. Now we have Harden Parson Asik Bev Tony Doughlas (for a time) and they each have their own underdog story so its really fun to watch

9. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I was too young to appreciate the Rockets fully during their championship years although I do remember Elie's kiss of death. I really started getting into the Rockets upon Yao's arrival and playing Fantasy basketball throughout high school. Ever since then I've watched as many games as I possibly could. Rockets forever!

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It doesn't matter. You are not a real fan if you don't know Olajuwon had gone to the Finals before Jordan did. ;)

11. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Mine is such a stupid story, but I still think it's awesome and I kept my loyalty since I was a six year old kid.

My dad was watching basketball mid season in 1993 (he's a Knicks fans). I asked him to start naming some teams. He's like, "Oh there's the Sonics, the Lakers, Warriors, the Nets, the Rockets..." and immediately I cut him off...

"That's my favorite team!"

My sister interjects, "You only said that because you like their name!"

She was right, but of course I deny it, "No! I always liked them the best!!"

That year the Rockets go on to defeat my dad's Knicks in the championship, and I had a hell of a time trying to explain after that, that the Rockets had become my favorite team before they were NBA champions to very few people who actually believed me.

I bet my dad regretted naming the Rockets when I asked that question. Cause I'll say right now there is no chance that my kids will be a fan of a team like the Jazz, Lakers, Mavs, or whatever team Lebron is on if he's still around when I have kids, and be allowed to live under my roof.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Grew up in Sugar Land and started watching the team back in the days of Marin, Calvin, Rudy, the Big E., Moses, etc. Left H-Town in '87 and spent the next 25 years in Los Angeles and New York City (lived there in '94 when the Rox beat the Knicks), but my love for the Rockets has never waned. I couldn't even THINK about cheering for the Knicks, Lakers or Clippers -- they're just not my team.

I'm in the Seattle area now, and part of me was kind of relieved that we didn't get the Kings, because I was afraid I might be tempted to cheat on my team. :)

13. mducroz

mducroz New Member

Born and raised in Houston area but moved to Austin about 12 years ago. My family bleeds Rockets red. I remember listing to game 7 against NY with my dad on a crappy radio out at summer camp and then loosing our ***** when they won. It still boggles my mind that I can watch all the Rockets games in Austin but 3/4 of Houston cant.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Checked the color of my blood..saw it was RED, decided that the Rockets made sense..

that and I was born/bred in the H.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I became a fan in the early 90s because my dad was a fan and we would watch the games together but I became a fan for life watching them attain their first championship and the battle they had to get to the finals.

I still remember when we were playing New York in the finals that even our news teams were beefing. The New York media made a report about how Houston was such a craphole and then the Houston news countered that New York had a ridiculous murder rate and was a crap hole itself.

Will never be any other team for me and I hope the Rockets stay in Houston forever. Clutch City baby

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Same here....grew up in the Philippines.

Became a fan when I started playing ball in the early 80s. Back in the days they only showed the finals in the Philippines and I hated both the Celtics and Lakers.

Then one night was watching CNN sports and saw the "shot" that made me a die-hard fan of the Rockets. Ralph Sampsons buzzer beating shot against the Lakers to propel them to the NBA Finals.

They started televising more NBA games in the 90s and with the internet I was able to follow the team religiously and download most of their games.

I currently reside in Cali and watched my first live Rockets game last year against the Lakers at Staples. This year, I drove to Phoenix to watch the game against the Suns.

PUTANG INA........MGA KABABAYAN!!!!

18. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Even though Houston is my hometown and I still live here, I didn't like sports at all when I was really, really young. I thought they were boring to say the least, I would actually rather just play them than to watch them. In first grade we had to pick a state. I picked Minnesota and had to do a report. I had to include the state flower, song and everything involving Minnesota in my paper. I was enamored by the state that I actually picked up watching the Wolves play and I watched a young KG play almost everyday. I didnt have access to every single game for them so I picked up the Rockets and my interest and love for the city really took off after that and it's been a constant beacon of happiness in my life ever since.

19. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

I'm going, hopefully my budget is ot tight for the next few months or else i'll settle with the nosebleed seats..:)

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Tbh I think the only true fan in this site is tinman.