1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of all the teams out there..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by latebloomer19, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Audioout

Audioout Member

I was just a young teen in 94 and only just discovering basketball.

My first year as a fan I got to see us win it all. Had a moment when I stopped watching after Hakeem was traded but came back when we got Tmac. Been a diehard fan since.

2. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I'm a late bloomer. I liked basketball, but didn't even start paying attention to the nba until 2009. I'm 18 now. The rockets were in a playoff game vs the blazers and I just happened to turn it on to see yao ming having the game of his life. I thought that was pretty cool and decided to root for them. what won me over was their heart and determination when they were facing the lakers. Even when Yao went out, they still gave it their all. I was just instantly attached to this team for some reason and have been a fan since. I still root for some other teams like the Hawks (I'm from GA) somewhat, but I can't truly cheer for them like I do for the rockets. Just love this team and love seeing them do well.

3. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

The Dream made me a Rocket fan. Not a "real" fan mind you. I was like 7 years old when I discovered him and read some about him (I think it was on some cereal box) so I was like "This guy sounds awesome, Houston Rockets it is." I couldn't follow them from Greece at that point, we didn't have broadband or anything, but I always went for Houston when playing NBA Live etc. Ten years later a close friend got me interested in the NBA for real and I knew from beforehand who I was gonna follow. He's mostly a fan of Dwight, so let's hope we can cheer for the same team next year ;)

4. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Hakeem Olajuwon
    (though I was too late to follow the championship teams... 1997 :()

5. jocar

jocar Member

6. domd221

domd221 Member

Being as honest as possible. I was a T-MAC fan/follower since he was drafted by Toronto. Followed him to every team he went to but then I decided to stay with the Rockets and RedNation because red is my favorite color and the Rockets won the championship my birth year (1994). I LOVE THIS TEAM/FRANCHISE. Only Rockets fan within my group of friends out here in Southern California which is a Laker infested area as expected.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

tinman's posts and insight bought me in.

8. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

9. skyline07

skyline07 Member

I always admired Hakeem's low post, always loved what he has done. Grow up watching the rockets, its been my team.

10. Vthaker

Vthaker Member

Born and raised in Houston. Been a die hard rockets fan but just started reading clutchfans a lot these past couple of seasons season. I know it's bad, but I pretty much wake up and look up rockets dish :grin:

11. rocketblood713

Im from Houston so so im all Houston every sport Im eving going down with the ship with the Astros lol so I rather watch my Houston teams over any other team

12. rocketblood713

*every sports team im even going down

13. showa13

showa13 Member

Repped for epic quote.

Dallas born, but Houston bred. I remember my first ever Rockets game back in Hakeem's last year as a Rocket against the Lakers, it began my love of the Rockets and hate of the Lakers.

14. turtletran

turtletran Member

I was born in Port Arthur Texas where we didnt have a team so naturally as a kid I wanted everything that dealt with Michael Jordan. (90s lol) Then i moved to Houston, where I grew up around ppl who had a team to cheer for and were very passionate about it. So i became a Rockets fan ever since.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Born/raised in Houston.

I remember in 4th/5th grade when I first got into basketball, watching the games on TV51. First started watching the 01/02 season.

16. Tuonela

Tuonela Member

I am a Turkish Rockets fan because of Daryl Morey and his obsession of Omer Asik. I always liked basketball but never followed NBA until Hedo Turkoglu traded to Magic. I was at senior year and sleeping late so I catched 2 a.m. Orlando games. After Dwightmare I started following Bulls and loved the team. Then I came to US last year and watched many Chicago games. Since Omer signed with Houston I have been absorbing every information about Houston. Now, being a Rockets fan is a part of my life and I hope Omer will stay Rocket for a long time as I like the team a lot. Occasionally, I watch Jazz (Enes Kanter) and very rarely Bucks (Ersan Ilyasova).

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

1st game ever watch.
    Dream vs Shaq. Finals.

Nuff said.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Hakeem.

When I was young my play style resembled Hakeems so I started to follow the rockets.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Closest geographic team.

20. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Lol my story is almost exactly the same as you OP. From the Philippines and my dad was a huge Hakeem fan who got me interested in the NBA and in basketball in general.