1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival returns to town starring Louis CK, Aziz, Jim Gaffigan and more

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I'm going on Saturday. My first time at Cynthia Woods Mitchell. What should I be expecting? It states 5pm. Is that when the gates open or is that when the show starts? That seems pretty early. And I have a previous engagement and will be a little late if that's the start time.
    What else should I be expecting re: parking, etc?
    Thanks.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Same. With that said there's 2 stages and a looooot of comedians, I'm kind of shocked it isn't an all day thing (I haven't looked at the times yet). Really excited though.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah, I recall that there was two stages. What does that even mean? We have assigned seating, how can there be two stages? Are we just missing half the event then?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're first time will probably be your last one willingly

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No clue. I know that the main people will all be on the main stage, the second stage is for people who aren't on the headlining list.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Heads up you guys, just got an email with this info:

Important Concert Information for
    Oddball Comedy Festival

ROAD CONSTRUCTION ALERT:
    Guests attending Oddball Comedy Festival be aware, I-45 Northbound roads closed beginning Friday at 8 p.m. through Sunday.

Detailed information here:
    http://ow.ly/BEXI0

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

You have seats for the main stage. The second stage is outside the park but still inside the gates. It's where the vendors are and there are no seats.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So what other route can I take? I'm coming from Clear Lake.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I looked at the alerts and it looks like all the closures end at 1pm so we should be fine to take I45. Unless I misread of course.

10. VanityHalfBlack

That's good to know. I was just about to return my tickets. Going back home is gonna be a complete clusterfukk. It already sucks to freaking drive up there to the woodlands for christ sake. I'm kinda regretting buying tickets in the first place.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not thrilled about it either, honestly. Hopefully it won't rain like crazy.

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Last years was ok. Better people this year I guess but way overcrowded if you didnt get there early. Part of the reason it sucked was Dave's performance but he won't be there this year. Louis CK is hilarious but last year was enough of a pain to keep me from getting a ticket. Hopefully he comes again soon by himself!

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Can you elaborate on what made last years suck? This is my first time going.

Was Dave that bad? Or did it suck because I guess the overcrowdedness was due to having Dave there?

14. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Well, it was a little bit of both. We didn't get there that late but were along the back fence of the grass. You could still hear ok but would miss something every once in a while. Hannibal was hilarious btw.....Dave was not that funny and ended his set early....felt like he was up there like 20 minutes max. Very disappointing. He was the shortest set and he was the headliner....made no sense. Louis CK would not do that to people I don't think. This year has a better all around lineup also. You will have fun. Just try to get a good spot and that should take care of most of the issues.

Also, just an fyi for Woodland's Pavilion that I just found out about. Each person can now bring in a gallon bag of food. My gf and I went to a concert recently and brought all kinds of snacks and they let us in no problem. I am probably late on this but just had no idea.

15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Pretty sure he did around 40 to 45 minutes. And he had a pretty good set considering the crowds reactions to his stand up. I know for a fact he didn't do 20minutes. It was a pretty awesome show if you liked Flight and Dave. Although Oddball is not the best place to see live comedy. It's far less personal than comedy club or theater but to see and enjoy a show with thousands of people laughing is pretty cool to see. My favorite part was Kristen Schaal because the people that didn't know who she was were so confused by her set that it made for some of the best reactions.

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Maybe it just seemed really short to me and my friends. We were all pretty disappointed. His older stand-up is hilarious. Maybe part of it was the venue. You are right....much less personal.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ah, I was hoping you'd say that. We were lucky and got covered seats, so I'm guessing we won't have the same issue.

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

She's Mabel.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Same here. I was worried when he said it was too crowded.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

loved it last year