1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Agree with the claim of racism and misogyny. He's genuinely those traits.

Him being percieved as a homophobe or a religious charlatan is nothing more than pandering to parts of his evangelical base. I don't think he really cares that much either way about gay people before running on a gop platform and he definitely was never religious until he magically decided the Bible was his favorite book right before the "Art of the Deal' during his GOP primary rallies.

He's definitely a racist and he definitely has pretty draconian sexist views of women.

2. Fantasma Negro

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Defending Bernie some more I see... you couldn't resist... Bernie... supporter.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see anything inaccurate about AOC's description of the detaining of illegal immigrants as a concentration camp.To be fair to the Trump Admin, immigration detention was pretty much a concentration camp before he was elected, but I see one key change he's made. It used to be you could bond out if you didn't have other criminal charges. Classic concentration camp models don't have a bail system -- Nazis wouldn't release Jews who paid bail, for example. The Trump policy is to not grant bail in most cases. That has the twin effects of (1) increasing the population and therefore the "concentration" of the camps, and (2) making inclusion in the camp more dependent on your group identity (illegal aliens) than on your particular acts (since the allegations against you haven't been considered even in a cursory bond hearing).

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another view

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Agreed the Nazi concentration camps were extremely evil. [Obligatory announcement for the trolls.] I visited Auschwitz and it was pretty horrifying.

But, the U.S. has run non-labor concentration camps before:

I think Yad Veshem there is doing a disservice to American history, Japanese-Americans, and the term "concentration camp."

P.S. On the labor point: failing to punish employers of illegals allows the exploitation of laborers. Why aren't the anti-illegal crowd hating their employers equally hard?

biff17 likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

Nazis don't have a monopoly on concentration camps. Historians usually credit the Boer War for the first modern-age concentration camps. The term comes from the re-concentration camps in Cuba in the 10 Years War in the 19th century.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I suspect Vashem might be more comfortable describing the Japanese internment camps as "internment" camps. but point taken.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't have an interest in the semantics one way or another about the term itself. I think AOC's use of the term--and her subsequent doubling down on her use of the term--is ill-advised.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. JuanValdez

The outrage for Jewish victims of the Holocaust is a semantics argument, so I'm not sure why you posted it and then said you don't care about semantics.

AOC could have said they were internment camps and be right because there doesn't seem to be a technical difference (I did find an article that says internment refers specifically to detaining enemy aliens, but the dictionary and general usage doesn't seem to support that. If it were so, though, it wouldn't be an appropriate term because these immigrants are not enemies, even if they are aliens). Concentration camp is more provocative. You can criticize her for picking the more provocative term because, after all, we're not doing forced labor and all the worst things you'd find in a Nazi camp. But, you could equally criticize using the term internment camp as a whitewash to gloss over the fact that many people are being held in very overcrowded, unhealthy, and unsafe conditions, being separated from family and denied opportunity, and for no particularly compelling reason. If "concentration camp" evokes too much brutality, "internment camp" doesn't evoke enough.

Your concern for AOC is duly noted, though. I'm sure you just fear for her re-election chances. I'd be willing to trade her political career, though, if it meant our country could avoid the injustices of yet another mass incarceration campaign. I'm glad some politicians have the courage to say this is wrong.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I simply posted "another view" and the Vashem tweet.

13. Fantasma Negro

True but if she didn't want to invite outrage over the term then she probably shouldn't have said "never again" because there is no denying that phrase is in reference to the holocaust. And secondly concentration camps aren't voluntary, these humans leave their countries and voluntarily attempt to enter the southern border. I admire her passion for the children of the illegal trespassers, even though she's a late term abortion advocate, my question is instead of giving shock value buzz word sound bites, what would be her plan to control illegal immigration on the southern border?

jcf and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

15. JuanValdez

Don't hide behind that again. You don't ever say anything in your own words, so I will assume the articles you post reflect your views.

Obviously, AOC was trying to be provocative, so I doubt she regrets whatever outrage. As for her plan, does it even matter what it is since McConnell already decided to not let it past the Senate regardless of what it might be? Plans don't even matter if there is no will to even change from the status quo. If she can help move public sentiment enough that Senators feel political pressure to make some change, then it might be worthwhile to look at plans. The only reason to see a plan now is to take shots at to justify the status quo.

Strange idea of voluntary, though I suppose it shades differently when you've convinced yourself that all these folks are just 'economic migrants' who aren't really facing desperate conditions at home. The implication, of course, is 'if you don't like me abusing you, don't come,' as if abuse is justified so long as its not proactive. As if their coming anyway is a validation of the abuse they get, like assuming an abusive husband must have been absolved if his battered wife returns to the house. My country has standards. We're not supposed to treat people this way regardless of what they've done to put themselves at our mercy. And, we made an asylum system to invite people suffering injustice to seek our protection -- we shouldn't be abusing the people who ask to deter others from asking.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Don't assume that, and don't tell me what to do. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations.

17. JuanValdez

Not telling you what to do. I'm telling you want I'm going to do: I am going to assume that you are in agreement with every article you post. Because there is no way for me to know otherwise. And, if you haven't realized it yet, you can probably figure that most posters here also assume you agree with the articles you post and don't believe you when you say it's just another viewpoint to consider. But post however you want.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s a fair and natural default assumption.

19. TheresTheDagger

Treat people WHAT way?

These people cross our border illegally. ILLEGALLY
    They turn themselves in.
    We feed them and house them in temporary housing while determining what to do with each person on an individual basis.

Meanwhile, I doubt ANY person in a TRUE "Concentration Camp" anywhere else has been fed similar to that in the tweet below.