1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In regards to what abuse constitutes - the reports were that he also called her disgusting, was angry, waved a finger in her face, and walked away calling her a effing b****. That certainly could be described as a verbally abusive encounter.

As for her not criticizing all usage of the word b****. Look, she hasn't really been fighting that battle before. He focus has been more on the environment, worker rights, and other issues. She is responding to an incident with a colleague and how his abusive behavior on her isn't just a personal matter but describes a culture where that behavior is allowed. It's a fair point and yes in that context what he did is an attack on all women. She felt the need to speak out morally not just for herself but all women who have dealt with similar situations. She didn't go into what creates that culture and I don't think she should have without doing her homework. But as a recipient to and as a woman she has every right, and some may say, and obligation to stand up and say hey, a member of congress who is supposed to be a leader shouldn't speak this way to a woman.

As to what the proper term is for a woman who is being aggressive or assertive in the workplace, maybe the answer is that there shouldn't be a term. If a guy is aggressive it's just being a man or taking charge, or taking the initiative. But a woman who takes similar actions is being a b**** or aggressive and makes people uncomfortable. I have seen it first hand in corporate culture. It's both with sex and race.

I'd say, why call her anything? What purpose does it serve. I don't call male colleagues anything. I just deal with people and do work. Why do women need a label? I don't call men dicks or assholes or say they are nice or whatnot. I don't need to. Everyone is different and you work as a team to get the job done.

RayRay10 and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's fine .

Look , I'm not trying to criticize AOC . The worst thing i said is i thought she might be pandering a bit. But most of my reason for believing that is that she is a politician , not because she doesnt have a legitimate reason to respond.

I think the convo went off the rails a bit , i kinda went in multiple directions. My main feeling and perspective on this relates to the language . Not necessarily her perspective , or the perspective of another woman in her place ... maybe i should think about it that way.

But i think when the insinuation is made that certain words should " never be used" or some similar black and white assertion is made , well I raise my eyebrows a bit.

I think we are mostly in agreement that context matters and that the dude is a b****. Where i think we disagree is in the application and use of language. While what he said to her is certainly not appropriate , i dont think its on the level of disgusting. Like i was on a flight and there were 3 drunk dudes behind me loudly talking about ****ing b****es and getting their dicks sucked ... for an hour ... THAT was disgusting. I mean ( is there a video of this) Imagine someone coming up to you calling you a ****ing b**** and waving their finger ... i mean they look like an idiot. And if he said it after she had left , then hes a coward to boot!

It may have been harmful at the time , i heard her talk about it was harmful to her family , it may have been a painful reminder , other women that heard it might have felt uncomfortable , other men that heard it might have felt some way , some one may have been interested if she was indeed being a b****, but at the end of the day .. its this guy that is the clear b**** and fool of the story. Society is ,at large, with her.

But to say NEVER use that word on a woman . That is offensive to me haha .I like a little lewdness in my life. It sounds like your solution is that everyone be nice to each other ? I feel like if i was in a situation where I'd like to use the word ( for whatever, comedic effect , anger) it would be sexist of me to consider which gender the person was before using the word. In my perspective its treating them just like i would another male. The actual definition of the word is what ? a female dog right ? I just googled it* , look at the dictionary definition. Yes , the word itself is gendered, but how is the gender the slur ? Its cause you're comparing them to a dog. The b**** i grew up with and the vast majority of b**** usage ive seen has just been as a dirty word. Ive just got a soft spot for cuss words , I'd hate for "b****" to become more than that to me. Of course there is common sense to have restraint, but almost any word can cause harm if used correctly.

* Note * - when i googled b**** they have a graph of usage over time and root-origin of the word ( germanic ) I dont know from what countries or how they got that data , but it goes back to 1800 .. anyways the graph was relatively flat until right about the 1920's ... right as women got the vote. As a man , i guess i can say to women , we will trade yall back ? Hilarious coincidence haha

RayRay10 and B@ffled like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am just speaking in this specific case that it's not professional for someone to call a colleague a b****. Or a dick. Or an *******. Or any name really.

In terms of what people call each other in their personal lives is different. I don't call people a b**** because I never feel the need to. I generally don't insult people anymore though because I just feel it accomplishes anything. If someone is acting douche I just avoid them as I have little patience to suffer the company of fools.

I get there's comedic use of the word and hey, I go to stand up and laugh at all of that. But I don't personally feel the need to use it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

A. She was a Hua

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

just saw AOC’s response to Yoyo‘s pathetic “apology“...she ethered him

word on the street is that it took them 2 hours to scoop his body off the House floor and transport him to the morgue

Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10, JumpMan and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Corrosion and RayRay10 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If they know who the woman is why drive up to her in an unmarked van rather than just drive up to her place of residence with a warrant? I don't know why throwing bottles makes that any different?

Seems like lame excuses to escalate tensions, something low IQ NYPD cops who b**** about welfare queens all day would probably do(know a few NYPD officers and boy could I ruin their careers if they I just shared their comments publicly).

Turley another fake libertarian such as @Os Trigonum

They want to pretend as she's some sort of domestic terrorist threat with a cache of firrarms and a history of deadly threats towards the police.

Just notice how little it takes to convince people like you to have cops drive up in unmarked vans and pick people up without identifying why they are being detained.

What's your obsession with Turley? He's a partisan hack who thinks lying about a blowjob warrants removal from office yet extorting a foreign country to publicly declare that they are investigating your political rival isn't.

There isn't a principled bone in his body.

#2348 fchowd0311, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

NYC uses unmarked police vehicles to pull people over for traffic violations, but I have never heard of them using it to make an arrest and put a person in an unmarked vehicle.

That seems dangerous given that there are kidnappings. People shouldn't be put into unmarked vehicles. It's one thing to use them for stealth and make the arrest, but the woman should be put into a marked patrol car and not a rental van.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol. read the link. there were plenty of uniformed officers at the scene. they were the ones doing the arresting.

RayRay10 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I didn't say there were not in my post.

And AOC didn't call it a kidnapping. I think the word snatch is appropriate because it describes what was done.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

ok

RayRay10 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Knowing the culture of NYPD officers, they enjoy the escalation.

The most dangerous thing I'm hearing right now form people I know in the NYPD is that culture brainwashed officers into believing they are perpetual victims who are the real heros.

That's a dangerous mindset to have by a gang of cops. They believe they are the victims.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

missed this line. pretty sure it wasn't a U-Haul van they got for $19.95/day

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So unfair. Unmarked police cars make it harder to spot and get away from police. We also don't know which cars to vandalize. So unfair.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

You can always arrest people at their residence especially when you know who they are. This just seems like a publlicty stunt knowing the culture at NYPD precincts.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Some do, some don't. Cops come in different stripes. But yeah, some of them hate liberals and are itching for a fight.

I remember an instance of crossing a street with traffic and a police van had gotten stuck in the crosswalk during a light change. I couldn't see the don't walk sign so walked across and around the police van as most ny'ers do. The guy rolled down his window and singled me out complaining that I walked during a don't walk sign.

I told him maybe if he wasn't blocking the crosswalk with his van I could have seen the sign
    He told me maybe he should give me a ticket.
    I told him maybe he should stop being an a-hole and walked away.

RayRay10, fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. fchowd0311

I would say from my experience of every NYPD cop I know and the rhetoric they post on Facebook regarding things like black culture and welfare, they are very reactionary right wing. These people carry so much bias and baggaged hate into confrontations with people in the community they precide over. It's frankly frightening.