1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations/Pictures from Rockets-Kings game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coma, Jan 29, 2004.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

Just a few observations from the Rockets-Kings game, 29Jan04.

*The stadium felt like there was something else going on besides a basketball game.

I was disappointed that there were noticeably empty seats in the stadium. It felt like the Compaq Center from the past few seasons. When I can hear someone from the rafters scream out "Cat, you suck!", that tells you how quiet the stadium was. Well, except for the two ladies sitting to me, who were comparing middle schools. :mad:

From a basketball fan's perspective, it was such a huge game. Everything you needed for a great game was there. Nationally
    televised game, the Kings, a chance for your home team to rebound after a horrific loss, and all the celebs in the house.

*Lack of energy and passion on the part of the Rockets

Wow. Did the Rockets play a game the day before that no one knew about? They had ZERO energy. Other than Francis, Cat, and JJ, the entire team seemed to be in slow motion. Maybe they just wanted to reflect their NO motion offense. As much as a lot of fans here like to think the Rockets are ready for that next level, we aren't. We lack consistency. A lot of times we make up for that with PASSION, and the WILL TO WIN. But times like tonight, when all the stars aren't aligned, and we have to rely on our team basketball skills..well, you saw the result.

If anyone has ever played sports, or taught someone else some physical skill, you should be able to relate.
    The first time your coach shows you something, that is so foreign to you, and while you are doing it, you have to replay his instructions in your head as you are trying to carry out his task. Usually, you don't do perform very well. It never gets properly executed until you don't HAVE to think about it. You just do it. This comes from practice, practice, and more pratice. The Rockets aren't there yet.
    They are still that little nephew you are trying to teach how to shoot.

Okay, feet apart, shoulders square, hold the ball, don't aim, and follow through the net.

He'll get it eventually, but for now, he's aiming on some shots, not following through the others. Once he stops thinking about how to do it, and from practice, just knows how to do it, he'll be fine. The Rockets are so stiff and rough on offense, you just know they are hesitant on that next step, be it to pass, shoot, pick, or roll. In the NBA, you hesitate for a second, and that's a loss for you.

Anyway, I feel like when they have energy and passion, that's when they don't think, but just play. That's when things are flowing as they should. i.e. The first five minutes of the game.

*Cuttino Mobley

This guy is such a good defender. I watched him exclusively for about ten minutes, and he sticks to his man like glue. My complaint with him, as usual, too many bad shots. This was painfully true in the last couple minutes of the game.

*Steve Francis

Refer back to what I was saying re: thinking and not just playing. You just see the hesitancy this man now has when shooting.

*Yao Ming

MoT is a better rebounder than Yao. If it weren't for his height, he'd have that ball stripped away more often than it is now. I counted 6 times, were a guard would come and pop that ball out of Yao's hands after he 'grabbed' the rebound. Of course he's now holding the ball higher (finally) so the ball would pop straight up where only he could get it. Other than that, same old same old, he if he was more aggresive, he'd be unstoppable.

Anyway, I had a great time at the game. I saw tons of celebs. Jim Kelly, Donavan McNabb, Julius Peppers, DeShaun Foster, Nelly, Jermaine Dupri, Jerome Bettis, Emmitt Smith, Clinton Portis, Keenan McCardell, and a couple of other Panthers who I had no idea about. An usher told me that Janet Jackson was to be in the house, but I never saw here. :(

Lastly, for G-rated purposes, I will refrain from commenting on the incredibly HOT women there last night. ;)

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

9. coma

coma Contributing Member

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. Your seat is pretty good, man!;)

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Nice pics...

The Rockets offense sucks. To only have 20 assists when one person has 13 isn't good basketball.

12. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Thanks for sharing the pics and thoughts! :)

-G'day-

13. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

haha, nice pic of Yao's parents...you're like the paparazzi...

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Crap, with all the talk about bad passing from Francis, I completely overlooked that fact that he had over 60% of the assists tonight. What happened to everybody else?

15. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

Is that Suge Knight beside Nellie? Damn, he got through the metal detectors... :confused:

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great pics...I loved McNabb's Drexler's UofH jersey and hat...Sweet...