1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observation.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

A lot of people on here have already made this observation clear but thought I'd just add in my two cents. Patrick Beverley can not run a pick and roll. There were a few instances tonight where jones set a nice screen and bev could have found him on the roll with a basic scoop pass but he either has poor court vision or just doesn't have basic point guard fundamentals. He opted to dribble through the paint and out to the other wing/corner and shoot an ill advised three.

When Harden gets double and triple teamed, which is becoming more and more common because of his fantastic season, our offense stagnates badly. ISO ball begins to dominate (Ariza, terry, Beverley and smith) and ball movement is secondary. Prigioni has looked really good to me in the minutes he has been assigned. He is an excellent ball handler in the pick and roll, he has run some awesome pick and rolls with both Dorsey and jones and found them with controlled nifty passes. His career numbers also suggest he can shoot the ball, he's still finding his shot in Houston.

I'm disappointed, in games we have lost, with the odd exception, it's because Harden gets shut down and no one can run the offense effectively. Harden actually does an exceptional job of finding open shooters and cutters when he is doubled, but even so, his efficiency and impact on the game is limited exponentially. This was seen in tonight's loss, not for the first time this season.

The frustrating thing is that the secondary ball handler doesn't have to be elite, an all star or an exciting prospect, he just needs to make the right plays, be in control and display solid fundamentals and intangibles. Tonight in the third quarter after Leonard hit those threes it was clear and adjustment had to be made, Portland had taking the momentum back and Harden was slumping badly. Watching Beverley go 2-13 was cringeworthy, I would have liked to see prigs inserted. He has shown to be an above average facilitator on the pick and roll and he doesn't turn the ball over at a high rate. Most of all, when he has been in, the ball doesn't get sticky.

Next time Harden is doubled and taken out of the game, I would like to see prigs on the court. Otherwise it is looking like a waste of two picks.

1 person likes this.
  2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Good observation OP. That's why all the moronic Harden hate tonight is frustrating because he's not freaking superman. Its been so obvious Harden needs a secondary play maker and Prigioni needs to be in the rotation. Bev should be playing 20-25 minutes tops. If his shot is not falling, he needs to be playing even less minutes. He's too much of a liability on the offensive end. Makes the Rox very beatable against the better teams.

3. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Lock another alt/troll account.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Excuse me?

5. redglare92

redglare92 Member

Haven't watched the Rockets much since they added Prigioni in the last trade. He seemed like he could be a decent option with more time. Brewer was brilliant in the last quarter. He could be that second option if he kept up the instant offense going thru this last stretch in the regular season.

6. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

This forum sure does have the worst users

ClutchFans Rule #1:
    Flame anybody that gives the slightest amount of criticism toward the Rockets

7. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

It's so hard to watch bev these days. I mean, you gotta love the guy cause of the toughness he brings but Jesus Christ is he horrible on the offensive end. It's comical that prigioni isn't getting even a few minutes. Actually, it's a testament to the talent we have to be as good as we are with a beverley, Terry, prigioni point guard unit.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Prigioni needs some burn every game. I'm not saying he has to play a lot, but some. Every game.