1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obscure 90's songs and one-hit wonders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Apr 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, the Spin Doctors had......TWO hits! :D

I remember the summer of 1998. I was working at a video store and the boss made us play 96.5. They played the same four songs over and over...

The Way - Fastball
    One Week - Barenaked Ladies
    Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
    I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing - Aerosmith

...and they played a Matchbox 20 song every five minutes. My co-workers and I even had a running bet on how many Matchbox 20 songs we would hear during a shift...

When did "Butterfly" by Crazy Town come out? Gawd, that was easily one of the worst one-hit-wonders ever...

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Now Isabel, you are forgetting Fastball's 2 other hits - "Fire Escape" and "Out of my Head".:p ;)

And Tom Cochrane sung "Life Is a Highway" (saw that rockets #1 mentioned it but someone else couldn't remember who sang it).

There are so many of these that I can't think of the best but will say these:

I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat
    Justified and Ancient - The KLF with Tammy Wynette
    Hold You Tight - Tara Kemp
    Block Rockin' Beats - Chemical Brothers
    Praise You - Fatboy Slim
    Love Will Keep Us Alive - Eagles
    Rhythm Is a Dancer - Snap
    Mr. Vain - Culture Beat
    The Power - Snap
    Rub You the Right Way - Johnny Gill
    Sensitivity - Ralph Tresvant
    Another Night - Real McCoy
    Still in Love With You - New Edition

There are like hundreds more here but these are the ones that come to mind first.

Oh and rockets #1, you just did NOT say that 311 was a better band than Nirvana, did you? Please tell me that was a misprint.

3. drapg

drapg Member

My favorite all-time obscure / one-hit wonders 90s song has to be Another Night by Real McCoy.

No, I don't know why...

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Friends of P- The Rentals

6. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

NICE!

7. akperez

akperez Contributing Member

How old are you? You obviously weren't listening to the right music. Go back and look at the obscure 80's thread and if you don't know any of the songs I or droxford or Mr. Meowgi (and few others) posted then I'll understand why you made a statement like that.

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Mathhew Sweet doesn't belong on this list.

He's been cranking out great pop songs since the 80's (and is still doing it today), not to mention he also had a previous "hit" with "Girlfriend"--which incidentally was the bumper music on 610 for a long time.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I wasn't calling him a one hit wonder, just obscure to the general public.

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

Los Del Rio - macarena (i hate that freakin song)

11. Isabel

Isabel Member

It doesn't have to be a one- or two-hit wonder. It can even be a song by a well-known band that you might not normally think of.

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (one-hit wonder, still fairly well known though... well, whatever)
    K's Choice - Not An Addict (and there was that other song about the white kite?)
    Monster Magnet - Space Lord
    Moloko - Fun For Me
    KLF - 3 a.m. Eternal
    Arrested Development - Tennessee
    Morphine - Early to Bed
    Live - Lakini's Juice
    Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You
    Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
    Roxette - Fading Like a Flower
    Lorena McKennitt - The Mummers Dance
    PM Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss
    Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You)
    Meredith Brooks - b****
    Reel Big Fish - Sell Out
    Dionne Farris - I Know

12. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Lush - Ladykiller
    Sugar - Gift ("If I Can't Change Your Mind" off "Copper Blue" was the hit, but "Gift" off of FU:EL was WAY better)
    Elastica - Stutter
    Gin Blossoms - Hey, Jealousy
    Velocity Girl - Audrey's Eyes
    Dramarama - Work for Food
    Juliana Hatfield - Universal Heartbeat

Lotta good music put out by the ladies in the '90's.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to say that I disagree that the 90's were better than the 80's. The 90's had good stuff, but no real pioneers came out of hte 90's.

In the 80's we had the Pixies, and some groups from the 70's really found their stride as well. Devo, B52's(which went on to suck in the 90's). The Clash were still putting out great songs in the 80's. The Cure, and The Smiths were in their prime in the 80's. So was New Order. No group from the 90's can really compare to the Clash or the Pixies.

That is my opinion, of course. I'm sure plenty will disagree.

14. Manny Ramirez

Agree completely, FB. You had grunge (which was more early '90s) but it pretty much died with the death of Kurt Cobain. Just seemed like there was too much derivative and unoriginal stuff going on in the '90s. Besides the '80s never had such an unbelievably craptacular song like "The Macarena" shudders

#34 Manny Ramirez, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I like a few more songs by the Spin Doctors (A-Train hit the nail on the head with the 2 hits comment :D) and Eve 6 respectively. Isabel did say later that they didn't have to be one-hit wonder, so that applies, and I was just naming some of the bigger songs. Sir Mix-a-lot is the definition of a one-hit wonder! I never went and looked to see if he had anything else worth listening to, but that's because Baby Got Back is like a big joke practically - I have that song not because it's great musically but 'cause it's funny. I didn't mean to say The Toadies were a one-hit wonder, my bad, their whole "Rubberneck" CD is solid.

Man, 311 never gets any support around here; I'll always be the one guy defending them. Okay, I know that Nirvana is technically better than 311. I tend to list 311 ahead of Nirvana sometimes (based on how I'm feeling) because the amount of material. I have around 110 songs by 311 and only around 40 by Nirvana. Kurt went way too soon.:(:(

Yes, to tell the truth I don't know much of the '80s. I was only around for half the decade.:) The stuff I know from the decade is the biggest hits and songs from some of my favorite bands that were still going (AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.). So, really I'm not qualified to make such a statement, I was just trying to stir up a little good natured controvery.:) I might very well find that the '80s had plenty of great music I have yet to discover as you say, but the '90s brought me Grunge (the best music there is to me, after rap, of course), so I'll always hold the '90s in the highest regard for myself personally (that is, after the greatest of them all, Led Zeppelin).

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Billie Myers - "Kiss the Rain"

BTW the 80's was by the far the crappiest decade for "pop" music ever. Country music in the 80's IMO was far superior to country music in the 90's. I'll probably change my mind to this decade being the crappiest one once it's all said and done however.

17. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

18. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

The 80's brought you grunge.

19. Manny Ramirez

Maybe but grunge was one of those that straddled 2 different decades - it definitely reached its zenith in '91 with "Nevermind" and "Ten". And I may get blasted for this, but I think "Superunknown" by Soundgarden was the best grunge album of them all but it wasn't all grunge as there were some other styles on that one and that album came out in '94.

rockets #1 - if you don't know much about the '80s and about a slew of different artists (both solo and bands from the tourney threads), how in the world did you get into Led Zeppelin? I would figure that getting into them would make you curious to learn more about the other classic rock bands of that period like Pink Floyd, The Who, Rolling Stones, etc. It is almost like you listen to classic rock just FOR Zeppelin and if anything else comes on, you turn the station, lol.;)

20. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'd say grunge reached it's peak in 1988 when the "Touch Me, I'm Sick" b/w "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More" 7" came out.