1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O'Brien to succeed Leno at 'Tonight Show' in 2009

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Sep 27, 2004.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

word.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

1. Conan
    2. Jon Stewart
    3. Oprah
    4. Geraldo
    5. Sally Jesse
    6. Donahue
    7. Maury
    8. Jenny Jones
    9. Ricky Lake
    10. Leno
    11. Letterman
    12. Dr. Phil

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I think its great that hes going to be on earlier, but it also might take away some of the stuff away from his show. He can probably get away with some stuff since hes on later.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

so does Carson Daly take over Late Night?

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Please God, no.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Damn DHB, you are so on with this post. This makes 3 "me too" replies. Whenever I watch Conan, I just check out the monologue and the skit. It might just be the funniest 15 minutes on TV.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Personally I can't stand Letterman or Conan.

I've always been a Leno/Kilborn guy. I know most love Conan, but for some reason I can't get into his show. Maybe its because its on at 12:30 at night here.

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Stern is sleezy and disgusting, with his sex banter and naked guests.

I prefer more high brow comedy...such as masturbating bears.

9. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Mixed feelings! I want this to happen as soon as possible because Jay Leno hasn't been funny to me since I was 11.

However I also fear what Conan will become when forced to be more "legit," I guess you could say, in the main late night time slot, will he lose his endearing wacky-ness?

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Magic Johnson

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Craig Kilborn would be my pick to replace Letterman.

1. Leno
    2. Kilborn
    3. Conan

4. Letterman

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like Conan, but his show isn't that funny anymore.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Conan O'Brien's definitely not as funny now as he used to be, kind of like the Simpsons. I think part of it might be Andy Richter leaving. That took away a lot of possibilites, like driving the desk skits) Still, he is by far the best funniest guy on late night, and some of his skits are still just so hilarious.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that NBC makes Conan tone down his skits more. I'm not sure if things like Triumph humping dogs is cool with the NBC execs in the earlier time slot.

14. Just B

Just B Member

Yeah that's what i was worried about too. I love Late Night, never miss an episode, and I'm glad Conan's getting a big break, but I have a bad feeling NBC's gonna mess him up.

Then again you guys gotta think, this isn't until 2009, and who knows what will be allowed on TV by then. I mean TV censorship standards are constantly going down, so in a few years you never know what he'll be able to pull off.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Full Frontal nudity. Bank on it.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I will crap a brick if Leno stays past 2009...read the last paragraph:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6452696.html

Exclusive: NBCU’s Zucker Courts Jon Stewart

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/18/2007 12:31:00 AM

After NBC Universal’s high-profile signing of Ben Silverman for the top programming job, Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart might be next on the Peacock’s wish list.

NBC Universal President/Chief Executive Jeff Zucker and NBC Entertainment/Universal Media Studios Co-Chair Marc Graboff recently wined and dined the satirical news anchor and his agent, James Dixon.

According to a network source, Zucker and Graboff didn’t focus on pitching any specific role at the dinner meeting. “They just made their interest known in finding a way to do business together if Jon was ever available,” says the source, who categorized the talks as “exploratory.”

That slow and easy approach mirrors another of Zucker’s high-profile courtships, his successful play to snare Meredith Vieira from The View to replace Katie Couric on the Today show. While Zucker’s play for Silverman was more abrupt after Silverman walked into his office and said he was a free agent, Zucker is known to be a master of the soft sell, knowing with certain talent he can’t push too hard.

Stewart’s The Daily Show With Jon Stewart is a franchise at Comedy Central, and Stewart’s deal is up in 2008. Although Comedy Central has had its eye on off-net sitcoms such as The Office, as well as continuing its slew of originals, it is watching costs in part to have the resources to keep Stewart.
    As for NBC, while its late night is in flux right now, the network’s interest in Stewart is not limited to that daypart, according to sources. If Stewart were to jump to a network in late night, he has been said to covet David Letterman’s chair on CBS.

But NBC is turning its attention to its own late-night future. The network has some major decisions to make in the wake of its announcement that Conan O’Brien is scheduled to replace Jay Leno on The Tonight Show in 2009. Leno is still printing money for NBC, and the show’s profitability is even more important now, given the network’s primetime struggles.

While NBC may decide to keep Leno and give O’Brien a reported $40 million payout, either way it has a hole at 12:30 a.m. ET, because O’Brien would undoubtedly leave the network if it pulled The Tonight Show from him
    Whoever ends up hosting at 11:30, NBC has begun actively working on a solution for the post-Tonight Show hole in 2009.

Representatives of Stewart, NBCU and Comedy Central declined comment.

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Arsenio

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Jon Stewart SUCKS. But his "reporters" are gold.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rightfully so.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Good news.

Letterman rules though.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TTEALgisg4c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TTEALgisg4c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvaUa559gMw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvaUa559gMw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>