1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O'Brien: Clowney ahead of schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SC1211, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It concerns me too, whatever anonymous members of the team or staff that were saying that nonsense look pretty stupid given that it was a guy trying to play through a serious knee injury that required microfracture surgery.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Tony Boselli says hello and goodbye

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Exactly. Either he gets pressured into playing with an injury to prove himself to his teammates/members, or he really is a guy who sits out for minor injuries. I don't trust our front office with Clowney's situation. On top of that, if Clowney was playing with an injury that required microfracture, how did that go undetected? In the very limited time Clowney has played whether in preseason or regular season, he has the tools to be a difference making game changer. My favorite plays from him so far have been the two highlight plays he made on Atlanta during the preseason. When he blew up that running back as soon as he touched the ball followed by a sack on Matt Ryan. The only reason I trade him is that he may be playing with damaged tools already.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's really no "if" he did need microfracture surgery, he tried to play through it and just couldn't. Trading him would be foolish.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Trading him is not an option. If the Texans decided to put Clowney on the market that would raise red flags to other teams that the Texans don't believe he will be able to make a full recovery. Nobody would be willing to offer anything of value for him until they see him play again.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true too, but even if you could, you wouldn't want to. I know some "fans" are quick to label his career over, but he could very well surprise a lot of people this year.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Don't rush back.

8. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Every time I hear "let's trade so and so" on this forum I'm reminded that this is a basketball forum first and people just don't know the ramifications of trading in the NFL. It isn't the same as the NBA. You never get even value in the NFL unless you think Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis was an even trade. It's about the only trade I ever remember where a player in their prime was traded for another in their prime and seemed half way even.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

So he's needed microfracture surgery for a while now. Then he had microfracture surgery. This is only his rookie season. What indication has there been telling us he is going to overcome the injuries?

Could he overcome them? Sure. Could he continue to be oft-injured? Sure. No one will know until he actually does. But so far, all the signs are pointing to the latter scenario.

Yes. "Fans" are quick to label his career over and who can blame that type of fan? Clowney could very well surprise a lot of people this year, but he could also very well continue to disappoint, specifically in the attendance department.

The decision making of this franchise has made fans frustrated throughout the years. Potential can only be sung for so long. If trading Clowney helps the franchise, trade him. So far, the evidence says he will be injury prone. He has to overcome injury THEN live up to his potential.

Like I said, we are likely not trading him. So I hope he overcomes the odds and fulfills his potential. I'm not confident it will happen. I'll be rooting for him on game day since he plays for my team.

10. val_modus

val_modus Member

How do you work hard during rehabilitation? Seriously... I've had a meniscus repair, and there isn't really any "work" to put in, you just have to show up and go through the motions. Never understood when coaches or trainers say that. Just a little rant from a purely medical perspective.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Another player described returning from microfracture. Looked like it sucked

12. Remii

Remii Member

Actually right now the Texans look stupid for throwing a #1 pick in the trash.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bill O'Brien says last week was probably Clowney's best week of rehab. Can't put a timetable on when he'll be in pads. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/580373116322332672">March 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is good news.

I don't understand the negativity thrown his way from day one. Seems like folks are rooting against him. Clowney will still be a game-changer even if he has lost a step or two from this injury. Clowney at 80-90% will still be trouble for offensive linemen. I for one can't wait to see him get healthy and play to prove the naysayers wrong.

Watt, Wilfork, and Clowney? Come on, how can this possibility not excite you?

1 person likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's been two years since Clowney wreaked havoc on offensive lines. Not sure how I can be excited right now at the prospect of him returning from microfracture. I'm just hoping he's a solid pass rusher, not worrying about star level production. Even solid would be an upgrade.

16. MystikArkitect

Because his last year of good football was two years ago and he's coming off of a major surgery? And Wilfork we got off of NE's scrap heap.

See Reed, Ed and temper your expectations.

17. vince

vince Member

Nix will learn under Wilfork. Mercilus and Clowney will keep other fresh.

That in itself is exciting.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Let's hope so. BOB's comments on Nix today didn't sound too promising.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-about-expectations-for-louis-nix/#23243101=0

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Wilfork was a bad pickup almost like Ed Reed. I predict he will not play all 16 games this year due to age and performance decline.

Back to CLOWNEY:
    Don't know if I want to believe this. This is like the boy who cried "good rehab", to me. :(

20. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except Wilfork isn't injured like Ed Reed was? But glad your crystal ball is working.