1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obese man sues McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cold Hard, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Heh... :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,58652,00.html

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

LMAO. This guy is freakin nuts. Don't eat there if your worried about getting fat. Stupid people these days....:mad:

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yep!

Defiantly a candidate for a future Darwin award!

:rolleyes:

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It was only a matter of time.

If Big Tobacco is responsible for cancer, than why aren't these companies liable too? There's no warning on a bucket of chicken- hell, there's not even the nutritional information unless you go inside and look on the wall.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

"It's senseless, baseless and ridiculous," National Restaurant Association spokeswoman Katharine Kim said. "There are choices in restaurants and people can make these choices, and there's a little personal responsibility as well."

Yep, sounds a lot like the Big Tobacco defense. We know from past BBS threads that many here feel its legit to replace personal responsibility with government regulation and litigation.

6. Timing

Timing Member

There might be a case there. These companies advertise to kids to hook them on their products just like Tobacco did. McDonalds for example has their kids meals with a toy in them and the food is always either fried nuggets, hamburgers, and french fries with a soft drink. There's no healthy alternative to that like juice, fish, baked chicken, etc.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hmmmm. This type of action was predicted in the book Fast Food Nation.

No argument there. Fast food must be stopped.

"Will someone please think of the children!!!" - Helen Lovejoy

8. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

If McDonald's had conducted studies decades ago and found that Big Macs were indeed physically addictive and neglected to tell people their findings -- perhaps even going so far as to deny the validity of those findings -- I would have no problem going after them just as people did with tobacco. But at this point, there seems to be no basis to this lawsuit.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hayes: I think you need to change your signature to...

Hayes Street
    VP Sales & Marketing
    Phillip Morris Corporation
    "Eat, smoke and be sickly."

:D

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Three words:

Subway, Eat Fresh.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

HayesStreet,

As far as big tobacco goes, I've noticed that the conservative senators of my state have decided to get while the gett'n is good. I'd say that idiocy knows no bounds, and knows no side of the aisle more so than the other. :D

I wholeheartedly agree though that the victimization of everyone has made life incredibly dull. What ever happened to taking some ****ing responsibility for your own existence. The reason why you can't skateboard in most places is because your mommy is going to sue once you do something that... oh my god, little kids do all of the time... injure themselves.... the horror. My child is learning something. God what a bunch of ****ING IDIOTS.

This guy is just in pile-on mode I assume. He should be slapped and sued for wasting everyone's time... but sheez, the people that actually believe they're owed something in life... b/c of the stupid decisions they make...

I'll stop while I'm ahead. I feel a misanthropic upwelling that doesn't jive with my otherwise desire for feel-good harmony. Pollyanna would probably be disappointed with me right now.

I will throw out the obvious aside: victims of second hand smoke have one hell of a case; I just don't appreciate the primary intuition that "we've been lied to"... sure if you're 84 years old. Otherwise, you and your mom knew full well that tobacco was bad, so shut your ****ing cakehole.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Hah. Well Jeff, I really thought you had the 'ignore' button on for any of my posts. So I'll take the jab... :)

I wonder if I could get a per diem from PM? I think I argue their point better than many of their damn lobbyists.

13. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Why did he drive past all those possible Subways and go to those places instead? The arch, big burger, and chicken bucket all drew him their instead.

This lawsuit is laughable. He had a right to choose and those places were where he went. I bet you he still ate at those places after his first heart attack.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Almost as bad as that lady that sued McDonalds for spilling her coffee on herself, and she WON the case!!!!!! wtf, stupidest cases in the world are always out there, it really pisses me off!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm pretty sure that McDonalds has done testing on their products and that:

(a) They KNOW their products are unhealthy
    (b) Their marketing targets children
    (c) Their marketing is designed to get you to eat as much of that crap as possible. More than anyone would recommend in a diet.
    (d) Their products are purposely built on substances that create cravings for more (ie sugar -cokes, ice cream, pies, french fries, bread). And that revisions of the products increased those substances to increase the 'addiction.'
    (e) They have purposely been fighting the claims that their products are unhealthy.

Have they lied to Congress etc? I guess we'll find out when they start subpoena'ing (not sure if that's a word) their internal memos.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I see everything.

I ignore no one.

:)

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

There are these things called parents. Kids don't make these decisions.

18. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

HayesStreet, I'm pretty sure Timing is being facetious.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hmmm, let's see fat, not a good cook and obviously dumb as rock for being ignorant to the fact that being a regular at his local fat burger and greasy fry joint will affect his health and appearance. That being said, no wonder this idiot is single!

The only thing that is a necessity is that this moron becomes responsible for his own actions. No one made him jam those Big Macs, Double Whoppers, pounds of fries and large Frosties down his pie hole. Make the choices and live with those choices.

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm just looking for some consistency in the outcome of this case in relation to the Tobacco lawsuit.

Hayes Street raises points that are just as valid as those who were involved in the afforementioned other suit.

Sadly, since it's always been "cool" to smoke and never to be fat, I doubt this guy's going to get an iota of the sympathy(or respect for that matter) that the smokers did.