1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's Popularity on the Upswing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2016.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Why wouldnt he be?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He said he wouldn't do a 3rd term even if he could. The presidency taxes you.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why I have a theory that if Trump wins he wouldn't run for a second term. He will quickly find out it just isn't fun.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let's hope it never gets to that point.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Trump's candidacy is already damaging US standing. A single Trump term could do a lot of damage.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Trump wouldn't be able to handle 4 years. Let alone 8. The dude is too thin-skinned. Can't even handle the ridicule and criticism as a presidential candidate.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Up until two months ago, I've imagined Trump to be a stalking horse like Perot, but unlike Perot, Trump has the ego to lie to himself that he'd actually be a great president who has a depth of policy positions to flip flop from. He's not going to hit the emergency breaks while he's clearly hitting 120 in a 75mph freeway.

This is the height of his popularity and stature, and it hasn't even peaked. A guy like Trump with his failed ill timed investments probably wants to double down before cashing in, again, and again, and again.

Keep an eye on his VP candidate.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

DD you are probably right because of what the mainstream media will do to make sure that is true. They will conveniently forget how much healthcare premiums, deductibles, and copays have gone way up for hundreds of millions of hard working Americans. They will forget how race relations are the worst they have been since the 60's do to his divisive political rhetoric by taking the the wrong side in situations like Ferguson and appointing the absolutely worst, most racist AG in history in Eric Holder. They will forget his epic failures in foreign policy from supporting the Arab spring which led directly to such things as ISIS and Benghazi to his disgraceful treatment of our our only true ally in the region Israel.. They will forget how bad our labor participation rate is while touting the artificially low unemployment rate because so many have given up looking for work. They will give him credit for low oil prices when he has done everything in his power to make them go up. They will give him credit for the recovery from the recession when Fed policies of ultra low interest rates and quantitative easing have artificially propped up the economy in one of the slowest recoveries in history. They will forget the unconstitutional power grabs like his amnesty plan. I could go on and on and on and on.... but everyone can see the truth whether they want to admit it or not..

Yea, the liberal media will have a lot of amnesia with this president (little p on purpose).

#48 cml750, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How so?

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your post is full of misinformation.

1. The truth about Insurance premiums
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...obamacare-health-care-premiums-going-35-45-5/

2. Benghazi has gotten extensive coverage in the mainstream media.

3. Let's look at Israel.
    Sorry man, you've been suckered by folks who spread information, and you bought into it.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

DD is a conservative that was forced to the left by the radicals in the conservative party -- ima2K and MadMax are couple more respected posters that had to make the change.

Until the republican party can win back moderate conservatives the rational voters will continue to support serious candidates not sideshows.

Obama has been a good, stable president who's steady approach turned the country 180 degrees in just (under) 2 terms -- a rational person can't ignore this success.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

FB, you can cherry pick quotes from leftist mainstream media all day but it doesn't make it true.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Sorry but DD is not a conservative if he supports Obama. You speak of "rational" voters??? How can anyone who leans to the left ever be considered rational.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This statement just exemplifies the bubble you live in. I know plenty of conservative leaning individuals who are rational.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ideas like this is what hurts the political discourse in this country.

I'm on the left, but I don't consider everyone to the right me some kind of idiot. We can disagree with things, disagree strongly but I wouldn't call every conservative stupid.

So I guess in your mind FDR wasn't rational? Sounds like you are the one that's not too rational to me then.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This has to rank as one of the most outrageously stupid posts I've come across in this forum since Clutch made the brilliant decision to split off discussions of politics, religion, and the like from the Hangout. You should be proud, cml750. I've read an astonishing number of stupid posts here over the years. This attempt by you ranks high up in the D&D Pantheon of Stupid Posts, with all due respect. Heck, I'm putting it in the Top 20!

As for the excellent post by Dubious that you were responding to, cml750, I agree with him about almost everything. The one aspect of President Obama's two terms that I have a serious problem with rests in the realm of foreign policy. I can give, in my opinion, an excellent example. The Red Line in Syria over the use of chemical weapons. The president should never have made the declaration if he didn't intend to back it up. The moment the world realized that he didn't mean it, the United States suffered a hammer blow to our credibility. Putin's eyes lit up as he rubbed his hands together with glee, deciding that he could get away with all sorts of actions that had previously been off the table out of fear of a response by the United States. So we saw the annexation of Crimea, the invasion of eastern Ukraine by Russian troops and special forces in support of a rebellion by a Russian minority encouraged to act by Moscow, one that wouldn't have stood a chance against the national armed forces of Ukraine without Putin's comfortable flaunting of international law in Crimea and then in East Ukraine.

What followed that? Russian intervention in Syria while the US and her allies were attempting to support what democratically inclined forces still existed after we seemingly took forever to make a serious effort to do so, long after Iran and ISIS had had Carte Blanche to strongly support the vicious Assad regime on the one hand, and the destruction, genocide, chaos, and leveling of some of the most important archeological sites in the world on the other. Untold death, destruction, and misery, as well as the huge crisis in Europe trying to deal with hundreds of thousands of Syrians fleeing for their lives. President Obama has also dithered over what to do in the South China Sea for years. He still isn't sure about what to do about China's illegal actions there in a critical part of the world, where a huge amount of international trade flows through. Meanwhile, options short of military action dwindle, making the situation more dangerous that it had to be if a strong response been made years ago, in my humble opinion. I think the "Red Line" consequences extend there, as well. To be clear, I agree with the President's support of the Arab Spring.

Aside from that, he's been a terrific president.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You can call actual facts that detail the premium increases in insurance premiums leftist quotes if you'd like.

You can say the same thing about the fact that Obama has increased aid to Israel more than anyone. Even though the facts are there in dollars and cents, you can call those leftist quotes.

You can also call the Israeli news agency Haaretz, leftist mainstream media if you'd like.

You can do all of that. But it won't help you prove a point, and it won't make you seem rational, and willing to engage in sensible debate.

If you have other statistics/studies/facts you'd like to present to back up your claims, you may do so. Until then, you'd be doing yourself a favor to double check what you're talking about.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly. I like to think that conservatives want the best for this nation just like liberals like myself do. I love this nation and what it stands for, and I believe conservatives do to.

They have a very different idea on how to achieve that greatness and maybe even some of what makes the nation great, but they mean well, and even with all of our disagreements, there's plenty on which we'd actually agree.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I haven't fully read the Atlantic interview Obama Doctrine, but it sheds some light on his actions whether you agree with it or not. For this point, if we attacked Syria, then we definitely wouldn't be able to focus on Asia or Latin America.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

Promo interview that fits into your post:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/trlVixSAm1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>