1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's and Boehner's addresses to the nation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by what, Jul 25, 2011.

1. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Reagan proved deficits don't matter

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You'll find more scorn than sympathy for wasting the mods' time with something so stupid.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Probably because the information you removed showed that MourningWood's assertion was false.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't agree.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So do you want to explain how Bush's idiotic tax cuts helped cure the problem?
    And how Obama has been trying to start taxing all the rich and wealthy again but the Republicans (a.k.a Rich and wealthy) have done all the things in their power to prevent?

All you do in every D&D thread is make a blatantly fact-less statement about how this board is so liberal. Followed by another equally fact-less statement about how Obama is running this country into the ground.

You Republicans' last president was Bush. The most stupid president that this world has ever seen. He took on a lot of debt and dumped it onto the next president to be. Sadly had Bush's successor been a Republican you would have gone full 180 on all your posts.

I hate politics.
    Everyone has their own agenda.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

um...

GOP Delays Debt Limit Vote After Damaging CBO Score

Moments after the Congressional Budget Office released an analysis finding that the House Republicans' debt limit bill falls far short of one their key goals, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) decided to rewrite the legislation, and according to GOP leadership, an expected Wednesday floor vote on the package will be delayed until Thursday at the earliest.

#67 mc mark, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

You can't be serious.

You know we're talking about math, right?

So, if someone told you that 2 + 2 = 4 would you be inclined to disagree?

Seriously? Really?

Please go back, look at the list you posted and then retracted, and tell me that the debt increased more than 27 times as fast during the last two years than it has in our entire previous history.

9. mc mark

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wu0i9VtNfRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

MY information was insufficient to show one way or the other. Which is why I retracted it. I had misunderstood what MW had claimed and posted irrelevant info. But of course some knuckle decided he needed to post the info anyways....

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The President gave the Republicans a gift. He let them off the hook by agreeing to extend the "temporary" Bush Tax Cuts for the wealthy after letting them frame the debate and "blackmail" him into doing it. I never bought the whole blackmail thing. That was when he should have stood up and said "NO!" One might say that he's been back on his heels on the tax issue ever since, and he shouldn't be in that position. He gave the GOP what they wanted, and royally ticked off a lot of Democrats and some independents, who had been promised that those "temporary" tax cuts would be history after he was elected. Today, he's still reacting to the consequences of that decision, in my opinion. The time to take a stand was then. If he had, we wouldn't be facing what we are facing today, again, in my opinion. Another blackmail attempt by the radicals in control of the Republican Party.

I really like the President. Heck, I voted for him in the primary and contributed to the national campaign, but when you let your opponents frame the debate, you're halfway towards a defeat on the issue, whatever it is, before you've really started. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

#71 Deckard, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  12. Batman Jones

Nice post. I agree.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That was a deal to get DADT repealed, to extended payroll tax cuts and to ratify the START treaty with the Russians. It was a good trade.

1 person likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. It was a good trade considering all that was gained from it. But the Dems should still point out how much the tax cut extension hurt our deficit and debt. They should point out which party it was that demanded that part of the deal, and what it's done to us as a result.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One more sign of Republican dysfunction:

"I can't tell you what it is. You can never ask me about it later. And we're going to hurt some people."

Yes, that about sums up the Republican approach to governing.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Amusing article from Salon on the GOP, the CBO, and hysterically ridiculous hypocrisy.

17. mc mark

Boehner today...

Well, first they want more. And my goodness, I want more too. And secondly, a lot of them [republicans] believe that if we get past August the second and we have enough chaos, we could force the Senate and the White House to accept a balanced budget amendment. I’m not sure that that — I don’t think that that strategy works. Because I think the closer we get to August the second, frankly, the less leverage we have vis a vis our colleagues in the Senate and the White House.

18. mc mark

Tea party leaders call for Boehner to resign over debt fight.

Tea Party leader: Boehner must go

"Boehner has no real interest in solving the problems this country faces. ... He worships at the altar of massive spending," "We need a Speaker who is a leader. We need someone with courage and vision. Boehner has none of those qualities. He is not a leader."

19. Batman Jones

Nice party you got there, thumbs. Keep up that great grass-roots work.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I understand that America as a whole is getting what it deserves with this govt. we have now. The voters put these clowns into place, and they are about to do serious damage to our nation's already ailing economy. It just sucks for those of us that did vote but didn't vote for this crap.

The Americans voted for divisive people and candidates that made it seem like a lack of understanding about how the govt. works and our nation's history was a good thing. It's frustrating that it has come to this.