1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Replacement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking!

I engaged earlier against my better judgement, found my self agreeeing with Bobby(shudder) and tiring of having a religious argument with an ardent believer. I respect cml for his faith even if I find serious conflict in its application or substitute for logic. I get the strong responses from those goaded by an evangelical bible lecture. It gets old being told what a Christian is or should be by other Christians. Anyway: Peace, cml750, for real

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Atheist. I'm of the belief that doing a good deed for the goodness of it is far better than expecting some reward in the afterlife like heaven. If that's your only motivation to be a good person then quite frankly I think you're a huge piece of s-hit. The same middle Eastern people you despise that wrote the Quran were also in the same region as those that wrote the Bible. You've no knowledge of any of the authors in the books from Genesis through Revelation, yet you take their works of fiction as the literal word of God and use it to chastise others actions for it. It doesn't take a genius to understand the golden rule yet you complicate it with all this Jesus, blood of the lamb bullshit that I'm used to evangelicals like you probably are say. It's old. It's tiresome. It's complete and utter bulls-hit. Maybe just try being a good human being because it's the decent thing to do and not because a pastor at your church told you to, or it's how your parents raised you or because God handpicked you for heaven and those that *gasp* don't see the light, no matter how much they help others is left to suffer in eternal damnation. What a crock of s-hit.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Obamacare helped but still left many millions uninsured or not able to pay; Trumpcare leaves 24 million less insured than Obamacare.

Several of the conservative/"libertarian" types in the thread say: "I've got mine, Jack, so not even the possibility of one penny more for anybody else.

Sliding forward fitfully to the only system for healthcare that has provided it for all. Medicare or single payer.
    Even Trump supporters in West Virginia recognize this.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, he voted for Trump LOL. He deserves all that is coming to him if he loses his insurance.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A bit too harsh, if you ask me, since you're saying:
    1. Vote
    2. Deserve decreased lifespan and maybe intense discomfort along the way.

Okay.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Election have consequences, that's the reality, nothing more. Because of voter's like him, I have to deal with president Trump even though I did not vote for Trump.

7. dmoneybangbang

It's the only way folks will learn the truth.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

number of insured is ridiculously stupid metric. IS the healthcare better for these newly insured? Are they paying less? you don't know because you are looking at a pointless metric.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just5 beca
    No it isn't, guy, but I guess it is your best. People who can't pay for healthcare have no access. I know as a conservo, it is tough hsit for them, but not everyone feels that way.

Guys like you always remind me of the old saying: "A Republican is someone who cannot enjoy a good meal unless they know others are hungry."

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I respect your attempts to engage with this fellow, No Worries, but you are wasting your time, in my opinion. There's an excellent word that describes cml750 very well when it comes to the topic of religion. He is a zealot.

Here is one of the definitions from Webster: a zealous person; especially : a fanatical partisan a religious zealot.

That's cml750, in my humble opinion. He isn't going to attempt to listen to you.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You don't understand how healthcare works in this country. The shittiest insurance coverage is better than no coverage because no coverage is asking for bankrupt as soon as **** hits the fan which can happen to any family.

So yes, you are completely wrong. The number who are insured is a valid metric as it shows how many people won't go completely bankrupt because they had to go to the ER.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, goody! Can I uncork some old saws about conservatives, glynch? Here's a few:

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
    ~John Kenneth Galbraith

“Liberalism is trust of the people tempered by prudence. Conservatism is distrust of the people tempered by fear.”
    ~William E. Gladstone

“Conservatives define themselves in terms of what they oppose.”
    ~George Will

“A Conservative Government is an organized hypocrisy.”
    ~Benjamin Disraeli

“I wonder how many times you have to be hit on the head before you find out who’s hitting you? It’s about time that the people of America realized what the Republicans have been doing to them.”
    ~Harry Truman

“Republicans don’t like people who talk about depressions. You can hardly blame them for that. You remember the old saying: Don’t talk about rope in the house where somebody has been hanged.”
    ~Harry Truman

“Brains, you know, are suspect in the Republican Party.”
    ~Walter J. Lippmann

“In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.”
    ~H. L. Mencken

13. IVFL

IVFL Member

I watch that and totally understand where that guy is coming from. Do I agree with who he voted for, no. However, as a person watching another person state his desires I can relate to his situation. We all want to have security in our work, and not worry about financially taking care of our families health in times illness and injury. I find it interesting that, for the most part, the people who champion for no regulations on healthcare don't have a need because its provided to them, or they have not been hit with catastrophic healthcare bills.

I worked in the banking industry during the great recession. Unexpected healthcare cost crippled so many people financially. Lets be honest, you have to feed your family or buy healthcare, what are you going to do? At this point I am all in on a single payer. It would lower costs for us as a country. It could be sold as a tax break to companies that provide insurance now, and it would guarantee that citizens would be covered. I am saying this as a person that has not been to the hospital for illness or injuries in over 15 years. I would hope we would look at our fellow Americans in a light that spurred us to help one another rather than demonize.

B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  14. tallanvor

Just because you don't have health insurance does not mean you can't pay. Saying X number of people now have insurance does not speak to if they could pay before. its the exact reason your metric is so stupid.

That's just blatantly false. you ignore price and coverage with your stupid comment. So a health plan that costs me $1000 a month and covers only paper cuts is better than no health insurance? tell me more..................

You have no idea if they were gonna go bankrupt before.... this is so moronic.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A damn good post. Post more!

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The number one cause for families to go bankrupt in the United States of America is because of unpaid medical bills due to lack of coverage.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Really? Being dead, pending your beliefs, could I guess show a voter the truth.

If all the evidence on Cheeto so far didn't worry someone, however, not sure how St Peter will get through to them.

Anyway, I'm wishing good health and good care for all Americans, however we get there, and no matter their voting history.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Almost. It is unpaid medical bills, but most families have coverage, which makes it even more sad.

19. tallanvor

How does that contradict anything I just said? Are these the families that are now signed up for health insurance? How do you know its not rich people who chose not to have insurance and now are being forced to buy it? How do you know those people who didn't want to or couldn't pay for insurance before because of a tight budget, still don't want to or cant pay now (maybe they are just lazy and make poor choices)? These are obvious questions you ask when your legislation is to mandate everyone buy health insurance. Your metric wont answer this. Here is the information that matters, are people getting better or worse healthcare than before and are people paying more or less for healthcare than before.

#399 tallanvor, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Major

Major Member

Are you suggesting the millions of people on expanded Medicaid might think that having no health insurance is better than having their newfound Medicaid? Because those millions of people will not be paying less for their insurance, and I'm pretty sure their healthcare will NOT be better.