1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare:Largest Drop in Uninsured in 4 Decades

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Has there been any data on whether it has been economically beneficial to the people that are now insured?

Have prices come down for basic procedures like x-rays?

3. gifford1967

Supporting Member

My understanding, is that healthcare costs generally haven't gone down, but that the cost curve has been bent, so they are rising at a slower rate than they have in decades, which is what the designers of Obamacare, and serious healthcare analysts, predicted.

See the post below- Obamacare’s projected cost falls due to lower premiums under health care law, CBO says for information about the slowing increase in insurance premiums.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's good cost increases are slowing. I wish there was some way to have basic procedures cost the patient something close to what they actually cost the doctor.

And side rant just ignore this if you want ....
    I really hate doctors that over test and over prescribe and don't look for the obvious... Saw an ENT recently for some relatively minor issues. Either way I got put thru tests that I knew I didn't need but did them anyway just for the sake of me turning 35 and thinking it would be good idea. The hearing test was whatever....I guess good to have done but not the reason why I went in. Then he wanted to do a nasal scope to see if there was anything going on in my nose. I refused it initially because I knew I didn't need it. Ended up getting it after he talked to me into it and I figured why not since I just turned 35 and cost wasn't an issue to me (most people don't have that luxury). The scope was worthless and the visit itself was worthless other than telling me that nothing was wrong. I ended up realizing when I was there that my issues were maybe related to jaw clinching and he agreed that could be causing the problems. He was ready to prescribe a **** load of stuff that I didn't need as well.

I still don't think that is the problem and I think it is probably some sort of low grade infection but whatever. We will see if it goes away in a month and if not I'll find another doctor that hopefully isn't crap.

It's stupid how educated the patient has to be to avoid bs from poor doctors.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i just turned 35 also... sigh :eek::eek::eek:

6. gifford1967

Supporting Member

That's interesting. I'm 47 and I've been to plenty of doctors, especially in the last 10 years, and I've never had a doctor call for a test I thought was unnecessary or prescribe treatment that didn't make sense. If this is a widespread phenomenon it would obviously drive up costs. I really don't know how the PPACA addresses this. Maybe Major does. He seems to know a lot about specifics of the law around changing cost/payment structures.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Obamacare repeal falls off Republicans' to-do list as law takes hold

After five years and more than 50 votes in Congress, the Republican campaign to repeal the Affordable Care Act is essentially over.

GOP congressional leaders, unable to roll back the law while President Obama remains in office and unwilling to again threaten a government shutdown to pressure him, are focused on other issues, including trade and tax reform.

Less noted, senior Republican lawmakers have quietly incorporated many of the law's key protections into their own proposals, including guaranteeing coverage and providing government assistance to help consumers purchase insurance.

And although the law remains very unpopular with GOP voters, more than 20 million Americans now depend on it for health benefits, making even some of the most conservative Republicans loath to cut off coverage.

Facing the prospect that the Supreme Court this year could strip away insurance subsidies provided through the law in most states, several GOP lawmakers have proposed extending the aid, perhaps even until a new president takes office.

9. Raven

Raven Member

No it isn't, but they know the issue isn't helping them, so they are going to cool it until the next election is over. Make no mistake. If the GOP controls all three branches of government, they will revive their war against affordable healthcare.

10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think they will get much less public support than they expect.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've been thru multiple doctors that wanted unnecessary tests and even worse unnecessary surgery. Luckily I was wise enough and cautious enough to avoid 2 of the completely unnecessary, Frankenstein surgeries that were recommended by a couple doctors for different injuries.

If I had the motivation I would go on a tour talking to people about how you shouldn't trust doctors for their opinions and that you need to question doctors about their diagnosis and treatment. Sadly, I am always on the defensive around doctors because of my experiences.