1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama traded 5 terrorists for a man charged with army desertion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

What exactly have they beat Americans in...???

And it may can be argued that a traitor and a deserter are two different things. The soldier was a deserter... Those dudes in congress are traitors but they probably won't get any jail time or punished even though they should.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh they've had some military successes and they tout them in their propaganda, now you have the US legitimizing the Taliban as a government rather than as a terrorist organization plus you have the Taliban getting back high ranking members in exchange for a worthless Private who deserted his unit in a combat zone in an effort to join the Taliban. That's a pretty awesome win for them.

Several soldiers died as a direct result of Private Bergdahl's desertion and attempted defection, he should spend the rest of his life in prison....but he'll probably be pardoned by this president on his way out.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Their military success isn't a victory over America because our military isn't over there in full force with their balls to the wall. Plus that isn't our shyt over there anyway so it's nothing for us to lose over there.

I don't know how the soldier will be punished but he knew the consequences before he took off running. I don't think he will get the death penalty though nor do I think Obama will pardon him on his way out... We'll see what happens.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think that matters to their propaganda videos? We're talking about a part of the world where men are men and sheep are afraid.

I don't think he'll get the death penalty, but life imprisonment is what he deserves. As to the pardon, who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly though, you never know what this president might do when it comes to Private Bergdahl given that his attitude so far has been

[​IMG]

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah he "probably" will be. And then the president will "probably" get into a spaceship that he's been keeping a secret and "probably" fly off to another galaxy laughing all the way. That's "probably" what will happen.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is too bad that the army makes it so hard for conscientious objectors like this guy was to apply while actually in the army, especially when overseas.

His punishment if convicted should at most be credit for time served in captivity and a dishonorable discharge which would probably deprive him of VA health benefits unless their is some sort of pow exception.

All in all it very surprising that there have not been more incidents like this given the lies leading up to and to put it kindly the lack of any accomplishment by these two wars.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really this guy is a conscientious objector? I have no doubt serving in Afghanistan wasn't all it was cracked up to be but this guy had been in the military before and previous commanders had noted he already had some issues. Just because someone doesn't want to fight doesn't make them a conscientious objector. Bergdahl doesn't like someone who has thought deeply about his actions and acting on principle. In the words of Hank Hill "that boy just ain't right."

I think the Admin. handled this poorly but I don't begrudge making sure we don't leave the Taliban an American POW. While I think it is concerning that we traded some Taliban commanders for him to me another issue is why was Bergdahl there in the first place? I think it is obvious that Bergdahl wasn't frontline soldier material and it's a sign of how bad things were that he still was sent there.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He might be a conscientious objector but he should have had the ability to apply

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did. Everyone who joins the military gets the chance to have conscientious objector status. The fact that he wasn't one means that he explicitly told them that he was not one when they asked, because they do ask.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing-taliban-desertion-court-martial/72391264/

General who led the Army investigation testimony and other interesting information from his unit.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, he shouldn't get jail time, they should line him up against a wall and shoot him.

I know the CYA nature of the military but this man is a traitor and should be treated as such.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dude, find something to do besides post on Clutchfans. You need some real life bad.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This seems to be another one of those judgement before fact is known because Obama. Of course, the liberal media does a great job pushing those gullible minds.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's the least his country can do for him before he ends up on the side of the road begging for change or worst yet the Post Office... I'm jk.