1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama: The Weakest President In The History Of The U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 28, 2013.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Kinda puts a different, though still a monumentally abstract, context to the situation.

So pardon my ignorant ass, but why do I have to give a **** about what happens on that side of the world over a tiny speck of land?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The us was concerned about from the very beginning. I said we are acting smart and cautious here. We might have actually learn from past history lessons of arming the crazies that come back to bite us.

3. PointForward

PointForward Member

I understand why you would question my statement, as I am aware that many many right wingnuts pull the "I voted for OBAMA!" card in a lame attempt to prove that they're not racist/blind/whatever. But in my case, I promise you it is true. You can search my post history and find that I am quite liberal on most issues.

I feel very conflicted and even a little hypocritical regarding Syria. I am very aware of my bias in this case because I was born and raised in Damascus, Syria and I've experienced first hand the brutality of the Assad regime and the suffering that the people experience as a result of it. At the same time, I am an American citizen who wants the best for this country, and for a long long time I've been a fan of isolationism, not the extent that Ron Paul calls for, but to an extent that prevents us from being the world's policeman and empire building, not to mention pointless, awful wars like Iraq.

But having lost several friends inside of Syria, many of whom died under extreme torture, has really changed my views. I feel like the civilized world (see: the west) has a responsibility to stop atrocities from continuing to take place. Iraq is NOT an example of this, since Saddam wasn't really in the process of massacring thousands of people (although he DID do that much earlier).

Syrians are suffering horribly under this regime. It is truly tragic. I have a friend who recently got asylum here in the U.S. The torture marks are still on his back and arms. And that's nothing compared to the electrocution, mutilation, and other absolutely horrific acts being committed by the regime (all of which is very well documented. I would post videos but they really scar me and I wouldn't like my fellow CFers to see something that graphic).

4. Raven

Raven Member

Just another reason to be thankful that Fortunate Son Mitt Romney isn't President. No matter how much the saber rattlers want us in Syria, Obama won't give them another war.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Nope. Besides, as I already mentioned, the US has supplied money, intell, and communications and equipment to the rebels. Of course, the response of the rebels is to want more, which they'll continually cry for naturally, up until we send in soldiers and then they'll decamp against the foreign invaders.

Besides, what about an obligation that the rebels won't massacre the Alawites when they take power?

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Then maybe the people that care about all this should devote their efforts to getting the UN to intervene, cause as far as I am concerned, the US needs to quit pretending like they are the world's police force and devote some American manpower and money to taking care of our own domestic issues.

Enough of this crap of sticking our noses into other country's business.

Yeah....this

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think Obama is a "weak" president not because he is not a "war-monger," (see George W.) but because he is a very poor executive. No doubt, he is the best campaigner/speech maker maybe ever, but the day to day affairs of the White House just don't seem to be his cup of tea. He sees everything in terms of campaigning and political enemies. I really agree that he is the most Nixon-like president in recent times. He needs some LBJ/Reagan/Clinton DNA. They actually got things done.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct. The Syrian people are suffering. But we are in no position to solve this problem.

Syria has become a proxy war between Sunni governments and Shia governments and militias. The Iranians and Hezbollah are propping up Assad while Sunni governments are arming and supporting the rebels.

We are in no position to pick sides. Even within the rebel groups, you have secular organizations and Salafi militias. It's impossible to ensure that a fair government would emerge from this war. You even have countries outside of Syria like Russia and China picking sides. Syria has become the ultimate proxy war and the last thing we need to do is join in the fray.

The US cannot solve this through intervention and weaponry. A diplomatic solution is essential and our blatantly taking sides makes our participation in such a solution impossible.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yeah, passing healthcare reform, ending two wars, reversing DADT, killing OBL, reversing an economic collapse.

I'm so glad Mr. Obama hasn't got anything done.

10. solid

Healthcare reform - a disaster, implementation is going to blow people's minds. Sky rocketing premiums, tons of red tape, diminishing benefits. The worst is yet to come.

What wars have "ended?" Maybe the War on Terror.

What is DADT? New pesticide?

Killing OBL - backed into corner on that one. He had no choice.

Reversing the economic collapse. Has that actually happened?

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

DADT- Don't Ask Don't Tell

Groundbreaking!

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I believe it is a waste and we should have a single payer system, but it is the single most landmark piece of legislation passed in the 40 or so years. You can't say he didn't execute.

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

Cherry picking internet debating......

Groundbreaking!

15. solid

I couldn't agree more; let other nation's pay for their own security. Our bloated defense budget would be unnecessary if we were more self-focused. Then we would actually have the funds to support domestic programs. Right now we are just printing money which is ultimately a failed policy.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

The UN is a puppet of the great powers. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know why people think that the UN should even have the capabilities to intervene in the capacity of which you are speaking. The US will intervene in Syria if it is deemed to be in the interests of the state. It currently is not.

No. We're not. While the defense budget could be shrunk down to some degree, I get really annoyed with the "printing money" people largely because I've seen that argument so heavily tied in with the "inflation is doom" and at absolute worst, "gold" card.

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

If you noticed, they link their original source every time. Try reading! It works!

The three times I used them they linked from:

New York Times
    TIME
    The Jerusalem Post