1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Supports Slave Reparations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait a minute.. A misleading title on the D & D! No way!

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the first post of real substance in this thread as it actually deals with the issue.

In principle reparations aren't a bad idea but terrible in practice. The biggest problems I see having to do with reparations are that that the majority of Americans families never benefitted directly or were directly harmed by slavery. So its not fair that people whose ancestors came here after the 13th Ammendment would have to pay for something that they had nothing to do with. For that matter given at the time of the Civil War the majority of the population was in the North so would it be fair also that people whose ancestors fought to end slavery also be required to pony up for the slave states even though they were the minority and even went into a state of rebellion against the US government?

I understand that most of the arguments for reparations have to do with the idea that while only very few engaged in slavery collectively the US government and economy benefitted from slavery. While there is a very solid argument to that the problem is that after emancipation blacks also could enter the economy and while they might say racism and Jim Crow laws kept them from benefitting fully they still got some benefit from the economy. So if the argument holds that current economic success can be tied back to slavery then blacks themselves will also have to contribute to reparations.

Even if it is accepted that society as a whole should pay reparations there is a question of paying to who. The obvious answer seems to be African-Americans but the problem is that African-Americans whose families are from the slavery era likely also have some descent from slave owners and some slave owning families might have some descent from slaves. For that matter African-Americans have also intermarried so would descendents of slaves who are now indistinguishable from whites or some other race be allowed to collect reparations?

There just seems to be too many problems with determing who should pay and who should be paid with reparations to make it practical. At this point it is probably best to acknowledge slavery and racism historically and make sure that those things are eradicated, and descdents of those who suffered from them don't suffer them anymore than try to correct history with reparations.

3. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Bottom line it would be Texxx or Jorge's dream for Obama to come out and see he supports Slave Reparations. The republicans and their partisan biased sheep are looking for a wedge to use on a candidate that is looking stronger and stronger by the day. What better issue than to pit "Black vs. White".

Trader & Texxx, I say this with enough conviction to want to meet the both of you face to face and say it personally. You guys are the kind of people that I do not want me son to know. You are the kind of people that I wouldnt want to represent me as an American abroad. To blatantly try to make this out of an issue to divide people tells me exactly what your agenda is. You are not for America being one, and thats the biggest problem with the current administration. You dont have to agree with me, but lets sit down at the table and be fair with one another. This is not your interest. We live in America, One great big melting pot. Some people do not deserve to live in this great country and I point that finger at the both of you. You should be given your own island to rule so that you can take all of those who resort to these kinda misleading reports with you. It would make the country my ancestors built a better place!

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I think everyone's come to the conclusion that they are really Democrats who are doing their best to make the Republicans look like caricatures.

I certainly know every time I think I might vote Republican they make me feel as if I'm associating with sub-humans...

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

An intelligent human being would reply with "well, isn't that what makes America great? The ability to have different opinions and not get arrested/maimed/shot for them?"

Unfortunately, the 2 of them would merely call you a libpig or some other "funny" they picked up from Rush.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wow. It's clear that I dominate your thoughts and control your emotions. Can you refute the facts of this thread, or do you choose to resort to personal insults? Did Obama fully and categorically deny that he was opposed to slave reparations? Nope, he waffled in front of the pro-black crowd and said he wouldn't be in favor of simply cutting checks...leaving the door open to other forms of reparations.

I'll be the bigger man (once again) and not respond with insults like you have chosen to do.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as opposed to the pro white crowd? :confused:

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Are you saying that there are not groups or organizations that specifically cater to the rights and well being of the black race?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

obama has secret ghetto campaign speeches where he dresses in a dashiki and the major theme is kill whitey

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was wondering what a "pro-black" crowd was. A bunch of nihilists? :confused:

Impeach Bush.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know you like bigtexxx for some reason, but there is really no defending the crap he is pulling in this thread including that statement which was pulled out of thin air from the writer of that "article" so you or I or your idol doesn't know who obama was talking to.

is that fair

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You are silly to think that I agree with bigtexxx's political views. I don't for a second think that Obama believes in slave reparations. I don't think that he was being ambiguous in his answer about slave reparations and if\when he wins the nomination he will definitely get my vote.

I just think that it is silly to ask what a pro-black group is. We all know what he was saying and if you have a problem with what he is saying, just say it. Don't act like you are oblivious to the kind of people\group\org\etc that he was refering to.

It's just another way for you to turn this into some sort of bull**** race showdown. It isn't like we don't know what your agenda is.

#112 Master Baiter, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Obama needs to come out and give a one-word answer to whether he supports reparations or not. There is absolutely no question that he has gotten very cozy with many people who do in fact support reparations. That scares many voters.

Heck, there was an article on realclearpolitics today that said that some white voters 'feel good' about voting for Obama because of their guilt for their ancestors' treatment of blacks. So in other words, their voting for Obama is some type of slave reparation. I'm stunned people even think along those lines. My ancestors obviously had no slaves. Heck, over the centuries, slaves have been of almost every race, it's not just blacks. So I guess EVERYONE gets reparations.

If you are a black voter, you have to be thinking to yourself.... if we can't get reparations with a black (or half black) President, then when WILL we get them? It's do or die time for the pro-reparations constituency and they will be pressuring Obama in a big way.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

again, you, I or bigtexxx don't know who he was talking to. its what the article implies, the quote is taken out of context. if it was "pro-black", it would have only helped this "article's" point.

I'm turning this into a racial issue. that's rich

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you please point out other candidates one word answers to whether or not they support reparations?

Can you point out their answers toward whether or not they support the KKK?

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You really should stop using the word "brah." That became un-cool about 10 years ago.

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should be ashamed of yourself.

The usage of "whether" implies "or not" and thus makes "or not" redundant (and grammatically sloppy) in your sentence. I expect better from you in the future. Study hard.

18. bucket

bucket Member

Yeah, just keep setting up silly hoops for Obama to jump through, ad infinitum. If, for some silly reason, he does decide to do what you request to appease a bunch of moronic bigots, just come up with some equally asinine topic and say you can't be sure about him until he addresses it. It worked for Kerry!

It's not enough to give a clear, sophisticated answer to an extremely complex problem; it needs to be one word.

You know, if we did the debates this way, they could be over in about 5 minutes.

"Lightning round: Do you support more immigration?"
    "Yes!"
    "No!"
    "Yes!"
    "I think it's important to-"

"Time's up. You lose!"

BTW, Trader, I'm curious as to whether you support torture. I really need a one-word answer.

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Concur.

20. joliver325

joliver325 Member

I definitely understand how hard it would be to do so. I wouldn't want society to pay the reparations but in the end, whether through taxes or some indirect way they would pay. And if that's the case we might as well start with the Native Americans.

Honestly slave reparations does not need to be financial payments but I believe remembering and honoring the people of such a horrific event would be nice. Providing assistance to blacks going through economic, education, and psychological limitations would be good. Considering what blacks have gone through I believe reparations could come in many forms but improvement, advancement, and remembrance are items I believe reparations should highlight. To think about given people money and not advising them how to take care of it really doesnt help as much as it should or could.